rooted last night

JGR4444

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
i rooted last night but my phone is still asking me to update to the new 2.1 software.. i thought it wouldnt do this if i rooted the phone? how do i get it to quit asking

anon(10090)

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
You can tell it "Install Now" - it will act as though it's going to, when it appears to have finished, tell it to reboot system - and it will have done nothing to change your ROM, but the notifications will go away. Done this personally, and it's worked.

Learned this on the DroidMod forums.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
nah, just rooting won't make it quit. There's a couple ways to get rid of it but the best is probably just install a custom rom like CM.

^ yeah, they have an article there about it
I thought I would post some clarification about the 2.1 OTA update, since there is a shockingly large amount of misinformation being spread throughout the community. If you are running DroidMod, you should accept the 2.1 update. The phone will reboot in to recovery, and SPRecovery will block the update outright. Even if you are not running SPRecovery, there’s really nothing to worry about, because the pre-install checks internal to the update will fail, and the update will not be applied anyways.

Many people have been renaming otacerts.zip to stop the notification from appearing, so I’d like to address that. Renaming otacerts.zip will indeed stop the notifications from being presented to you, but it does so by breaking the updater mechanism in a way that makes it think that the update file is corrupt. This will cause it to re-download the update file indefinitely, which will severely impact your battery life. This is why we didn’t remove the file from the ROM entirely.

So, to put it simply, if you are running any non-stock ROM at all, you can safely “accept” the 2.1 update to stop the notifications; the update will not be able to patch the modified system files, and will not make any changes to your phone.