Rooted battery life, opinions?

Ilyasviel

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
So, I've done my research and finally decided to root my phone a few days ago. Went to Jrummy's remix and I'm using the 5 screen launcher that was with it (I think its just called Launcher, although I could be wrong. Thats what its titled in my phone), and I have some concerns with my battery life.
I've read all the posts and all the tests and I'm just curious what the opinions of people with rooted phones on their battery life. And mostly to decide if I'm being paranoid or there is something wrong.

Usually, since the root, if I text on and off for 20 minutes (and only text, mind you, beside a couple mundane tasks, like setting up a email I forgot to after I flashed a rom) it'll use 10% of my power easy. If I call for 10 minutes, and 2 texts, another 10%. If I search the internet for a hour, it'll be close to 20%.

The biggest thing is, I went to work today at 11am, after texting twice and two 3 minute calls, I left my droid sitting on my desk. Came home at 7:30, 20% gone. On standby, doing absolutely nothing.
Have all my settings set to low roughly, as far as brightness and screen timeout, no crazy push widgets or anything, although, I'm clocked to 600mhz.

Should I be worried about that or is this just how it is with a rooted droid? I know its a power hungry phone but can't decide if I'm paranoid or not.

My widgets are:
Calwidget
Setcpu
Music (the basic one)
Weatherbug (the notifcation bar one)
and Power control

Apps: (aside from the stock ones)
App Monster
Adiko
App organizer
Assistant Free
Astro
Auto memory
Battle.net authenticator
Buzz deck
Chess
Dev tools
Drivesafe.ly
Droid coupons
FBReader
Google Translate
Labyrinth lite
Manga Browser
Note everything
Pandora
Replica Island
Robo defense
Rom manager
SetCPU
Shazam
Skyfire
SMS backup and restore
Spare parts (on a side note, does the translation speed drain alot of battery? I had it set to fast but not sure if thats a big drain)
SwiFTP
Terminal Emulator
Texas Holdem
Weatherbug
Where
Zedge.

So, what are your opinions on battery life with a rooted droid (and Jrummy's remix/the 5 screen launcher, or on any custom rom, good or bad) and experiences?

Also, if that isn't just how life is on a rooted droid, any suggestions as to what I can do to increase my life here?

Btw, did my research before hand and while not finding anything that answers my exact questions, I might have missed it. If this is a repost, feel free to tell me and possibly point me to the post I should read.
Thanks and cheers!

*Sorry for terrible grammer, was in a rush =p

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I read through that fast but have gone into settings and checked the battery usage? That will probably explain the issue. My experience with jrummy's rom was pretty good. The battery would last from full at 5 am and by the tome I got home from work at 4 it would be at 40% and I was over clocked at 800. Something has to be running in the background.

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com
My Droid is rooted on CyanogenMod @ 1ghz, and I unplug at 7:00, stream music via bluetooth for an hour each way to and from work. Push out about 15-20 emails, maybe 25 or so texts, might stream some music at work, about 1-3 hours of talk per day, random games or web surfing throughout the day, back in the dock at around 11:00pm, usually around 40-50% left.

I only have the weather widget and google search widget though, and i have setCPU to sleep at 250mhz, and use Advanced Task Killer to shut down apps that I know will run in background to save current state, ie pandora, rhapsody, web, etc. Background processes like that will run down a battery quickly. plus I don't let my screen go full brightness, that made a huge difference in battery life.

I know that if you've got a lot of stuff auto syncing, or pulling info, (weather, emails, social networks) it will drain quicker too.

You can go into the menu and see what's using up your battery too, i'd suggest that.

mscalero

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
My Droid is rooted on CyanogenMod @ 1ghz, and I unplug at 7:00, stream music via bluetooth for an hour each way to and from work. Push out about 15-20 emails, maybe 25 or so texts, might stream some music at work, about 1-3 hours of talk per day, random games or web surfing throughout the day, back in the dock at around 11:00pm, usually around 40-50% left.

I only have the weather widget and google search widget though, and i have setCPU to sleep at 250mhz, and use Advanced Task Killer to shut down apps that I know will run in background to save current state, ie pandora, rhapsody, web, etc. Background processes like that will run down a battery quickly. plus I don't let my screen go full brightness, that made a huge difference in battery life.

I know that if you've got a lot of stuff auto syncing, or pulling info, (weather, emails, social networks) it will drain quicker too.

You can go into the menu and see what's using up your battery too, i'd suggest that.

Wow, that seems like a lot of stuff you are doing for it to be at 40% at 11:00pm! I am not rooted, but i see that you can tinker with processor speed when the phone is Idle. That must be helping your batt life a lot.

If I did all that you said, and my K-9 checks every hour and Toutier (twitter) every 45 mins through the day, I would probably be at 5% by 11pm in your case.

Perhaps I should root and ajust the processor speed to run slower when the phone is idle? Hmmm.

M

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com
Plus I also have the screen not ever on full brightness, and turn off wifi or bluetooth when I'm not using them. Plus task killing apps that save state in the background helps a decent amount too. before all these things, my phone wouldn't last all day. But suprisingly enough, it was after setting up the profiles on setCPU that I gained most of the battery life.

Ilyasviel

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Got home today, 8 hours since unplugged, 20% gone and cell standby and idle both at 30%, display at 20% or so, then android os at 15% of my battery use. Dunno what is going on, shut my weather widget but so far, it doesnt look likes its made a difference. 10% Of my power was gone in a 20 minute drive on the internet and texting just now too. Grrr.
my screen brightness is at the lowest, i have auto memory for killing things, setcpu at 550 for sleeping/standby. Bad battery perhaps?

Pipester

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted with Bugless Beast, Nextheme, overclocked to 1GHz. I'm rocking Helix Launcher with 5 screens (only 3 in use). I am not using a Live Wallpaper.

Widgets Include: Pure Calendar, Facebook, Beautiful Widgets Home, Power Control, BW Silent, BW Vibrate, and Battery Life.

In my dock I have Phone, Txt, Gmail, and Gtalk.

Auto Brightness is on. And I've been in vibrate mode all day. Wi-Fi is off however sync services is on.

I have been in my basement (with poor service) for 4 hours and my girlfriends house (also with poor service) for 4 hours.

I have sent and received around 200 Gtalk messages and about 20 Text messages. No phone calls. Did some light web browsing, and downloaded Docs to Go from Android Market. I also power cycled my phone once to try and snap out of 1x Data earlier this evening

I took my phone off of the charger at exactly 10am (for this experiment) and as of 11.30 PM I am at 50% battery life.

I am going to try and replicate this tomorrow with Stock 2.1 no root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz