what's the difference in kernals?

Lurch81#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
i see there are low/standard/increased voltage kernals just wondering which one is best or what the difference is between them? just starting to overclock thanks for any tips

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
the low/standard/high values are just the type of volatage that it will use to overclock which can affect the temperatures that the battery/cpu reach. i would recomend sticking with low voltage because it will help keep your phone from overheating.

depending on what rom you are running dictates what kernel you can install. if you are running a rom that is based off of ESE53 or ESE81 i would strongly recomend any of Jakes kernels. they have been regarded as the best kernels if you want to keep temps to a minimum but still maintain top performance. i have a link to his page to download them on the thread i created that lists the roms, themes and kernels. right now im using the 5 slot 1 ghz low voltage kernel from jake and my temps range from 30 C - 36 C on cyanogen's rom.

later today/possibly tomorow im going to create 2 threads (i hope a mod can sticky them) discussing and listing roms/themes, and another listing and explaining kernels and extras (ex. launchers, apps that need root access and what kernels to use)

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Low voltage provides less heat output, but also slightly decreased power. However, the benefits outweigh the negatives, so definitely do a low voltage kernel if you have the opportunity.

Jake is very good with his kernels, but bekit and P3 also makes some reliable ones. YOu can find those on Clockworkmod, under the cyanogen category.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Low voltage provides less heat output, but also slightly decreased power. However, the benefits outweigh the negatives, so definitely do a low voltage kernel if you have the opportunity.

Jake is very good with his kernels, but bekit and P3 also makes some reliable ones. YOu can find those on Clockworkmod, under the cyanogen category.

bekit and P3 have good kernels. I probably respect bekit the most because he has put a lot of work into his kernels and doesn't even want donations. he would prefer you donate charity. now that is somebody who has character.

with that aside, each phone is slightly different (well atleast they are different than a lot due to where they were manufactured) some phones work better with other kernels. though, from what i have seen with other people's experiences Jakes are over more stable and maintain lower temps. i personally can vouch for that from my own experiences with all 3 of those kernels.

but like i said, each device maybe have different results with different kernels. the best bet to to try out all 3 of them (whatever setting you prefer) and see what works the best. maybe try each one for a day and compare results.

pyroelite

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Not to mention, lowering the voltage, decreases power consumption, increasing the battery life, a def plus

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan