How to force Apps to SD

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
So we all want Apps 2 SD but not all developers have enabled it. Here's how to force it:
On your rooted droid (no idea if it works on other phones), FroYo required, open terminal and input the following exactly as shown:

su
pm setInstallLocation 2

it wont appear like anything has happened. Now go into settings, apps, and you now will be able to move just about all of your apps to the sd. I wouldnt move widgets over to it as they sometimes will have problems appearing on the home screen.
Here's a link to Pete's discussion on alldroid where I found this
Alldroid.org

shadowpunx

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
awesome i've been looking for a way to force them, you can put a bunch on the sd card but not all, def will be checking this out, thank seth

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Read the FAQs on alldroid-
I had the same problem- what you have to do is the following (and there are some other options)
whenever you reboot (unfortunately) and I'm assuming you're using a launcher replacement (like launcher pro)
1. Settings--> applications--> manage applications--> launcher pro (or whatever you're using)--> clear defaults
2. Press Home and select the normal launcher (don't set as default)
All of your apps should be back in place but this works for me even when that doesn't happen.
3. Hit home again and select your launcher (launcherPro, adb, etc...)
4. verify all your icons are back.
5. If so, hit home again and set as default.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
The "clear defaults" solution is not really a solution... I tried this and it reverted back every time i restarted. The solution is to NOT install an app to sdcard that isn't yet compatible. I have 6 apps on my sdcard, all which show up in my app drawer. The ones that installed there and created problems with missing widgets/app drawer, i simply moved back to phone and they are golden.

For me, it is worth the trouble, as there was no real "trouble", other than the 10 minutes i was scratching my head when widgets disappeared.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz