Just Bought the Droid - Help with Root and 2.2

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone! I just purchased the Moto Droid yesterday, after finally deciding to pay the early termination fee for AT&T and ridding myself of the plague that was the Backflip once and for all. Ok, maybe a bit too dramatic, but that phone is bad. Anyway, one of the main reasons I bought the Droid was to root it (something the backflip couldn't do). I have googled everywhere, but cannot find a unified response to this question: Does anyone have a safe, fool-proof method of Rooting the 2.1 Droid and then installing the 2.2 Froyo port? This is my first brush with the rooting experience, so I apologize for sounding like a complete newb. Well, everyone has to start somewhere, right? Thanks in advance, and I look forward to growing as a Droid user! (PS: AT&T vs Verizon is like night and day!)

Last edited:

watersrules

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
This is the link I started with:

Quick Tip: Long Press in Flash for Full Screen Videos - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Keep in mind, this is just a link about flash, but under the snazzy little picture are 3 hyperlinks which lead you through a) rooting b) a Froyo ROM and c) Flash 10.1

I am an idiot with this stuff, but am learning every day. That was what I used in first rooting and messing around with my Droid. Everyone's will respond a little differently, but mine worked like a charm following the directions very specifically.

Hope this helps!

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! Sounds easy enough to do. Is it also true that, if you find the need to restore to the original firmware, you could do so by simply flashing the official 2.1 ROM for the droid?

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
For ways to unroot, there are 2 ways I know of doing it. The first is to go to DroidMod.org and download DM updater (must be rooted first - this was originally designed for 2.0.1, and cannot root your phone for you). This will allow you the option of flashing back 2.0.1 unrooted, completely stock.

The second way is to buy ROM Manager from the market. This is my preferable option, as it allows you to download ROMs to your rooted phone, install a custom recovery (called clockwork), and backup your phone. But it also has a area where you can download and install stock 2.1 (rooted) and 2.0.1 (unrooted) incase you need to restore the firmware.

Both of these options will erase root, and destroy any evidence to Verizon that your phone was rooted (and therefore, keeps your warranty intact).

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Wow thanks for the quick responses! So I successfully installed the Droid 2.2 leak using watersrules link, and I must say that the build is rather stable. Hopefully I'll be able to revert to original if need be when the "real" 2.2 gets pushed out by verizon.

watersrules

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
also, if you use Rom Manager, Bugless Beast has v 0.3 out for 2.2, and I do see a difference in responsiveness.. I put it on today and its awesome!

Rollred1995

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Im using these instructions to install froyo:

1. Download the new nandroid Froyo build from above.
2. Unzip and drop folder in the “nandroid” folder on your SD card.
3. Open ROM Manager and flash “alternate recovery” (SPRecovery).
4. When it finishes, scroll up and choose the option to “Reboot into Recovery.”
5. When SPRecovery loads, choose “backup/restore.”
6. Choose “Advanced nandroid restore.”
7. Select “Choose backup” and find the “droidlifefroyo-BS-20100608-0521″ backup.
8. Select “Perform restore.”
9. When it finishes, hit the “power” key to go back to the main menu and choose “reboot.”
10. When it reboots, you should be Froyo’d with root!

The problem im having is i dont seem to have a "nandroid" folder, step 2, to drop the new froyo build into. ive tried dropping it on just the sd card, continuing on with the next steps, make it to step 6 and get an error message: "E:couldnt open directory /sdcard/nandriod

Can anyone help? Thank you

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
On the root of your sdcard create a folder called nandroid. Then plop the backup in their. Should work for you. Me I stick to update.zip and a full wipe using clockwork

Hoagie5252

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Wow thanks for the quick responses! So I successfully installed the Droid 2.2 leak using watersrules link, and I must say that the build is rather stable. Hopefully I'll be able to revert to original if need be when the "real" 2.2 gets pushed out by verizon.

Once the real 2.2 gets released someone will will release a official 2.2 with root so I would go that way instead of un rooting and going official.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Once the real 2.2 gets released someone will will release a official 2.2 with root so I would go that way instead of un rooting and going official.

the official FRF84B Froyo did leak, and devs have rooted it. go find it already damn it lol :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol