changing roms

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
OK, now that I have taken the leap and rooted my droid and installed Onix RC1 I have a quick question..... If in the future I want to try other ROMs or this one gets updated do I have to wipe my phone and reinstall everything like I just did?
I used my backup pro and reinstalled all my apps but I had to set everything else back up like all my setting with the ADW launcher and reset all my ring tones. Is there a way to restore all that without doing everything manually?

I did use ROM manager to install the Onix ROM and installed setCPU, is there anything else special I should look at installing?

Thanks
Ray

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
i wouldnt use the native option anyway verizon can track that try the wireless tether app that comes with most roms

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Depends. For updates to the same rom you can just update without wiping sometimes. If you switch to a different one or if you find any issues after updating then you should wipe in my opinion.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, I think I am going to wipe and try another ROM, I dont think the battery is going to be acceptable for me with this one,after install the other night the battery seemed to drop quick, took it off the charger yesterday morning (charged all night) had a 14 min phone call and it had dropped 10%, uninstalled setCPU to see if that was causing it ran a couple of errands and threw it back on the charger, took it off (at 2PM) and received 2 emails and replied to them and after 39 mins I dropped 10%, opened the browser to search for something and looked something up on IMDB app and after 1.5 hours I was down 20% now for the rest of the day I used it lightly, searched for some apps, installed an app, sent/received a couple of text and emails and by 2am I was at 50%, phone sat until now and only lost 10 more% (at 40%)
After that first hour and a half and 20% drop it seemed ok, I might give it a couple more days only because I do not want to set up everything again (home screens and ring tones) Will battery life improve after a couple of discharges like the blackberry storm would? Am I jumping the gun too soon?
Thanks

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
setcup didnt make much of a difference on my phone, I ended up installing BB .4 and wow did that make a difference, not that I didnt like onix but rather this one was just better for my phone. My battery life improved incredibility! Yesterday I got almost 15 hours of med-heavy to heavy use and went down to 20%, and I mean it just turned to 20% right before I put it on the charger. Even today after 3 and a half hours with light use I am still at 100% better then being down 20% for similar usage on the other ROM (maybe a future onix rom will play better with my phone)