best way to root + basic questions

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I just bought 2 spare batteries for my droid and feel now would be a good time to root it. Just wondering if their are any guides, and which one is the best for step-by-step instructions. I have faith in myself, I've loaded the 2.1 update manually and have unlocked blackberries before.

Other than overclocking the phone, what are some other good things to do to a rooted droid? (Should I try froyo?) I'm assuming a lot of it is click/drag roms to folders on the droid itself?

Figured id be a noob for a little bit and just ask here since a lot of you are really nice and helpful. Thank you for the help

likwidsoul

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I used the instructions at theunlockr.com. just go to the site and search for root instructions. They have step by step videos and all the downloads you need.
Also you can load many custom roms I would recommended chevyno1 simply stunning froyo rom or buggless beast. Both great roms. Setcpu is a must have app if you plan to overclock. Have fun and happy rooting. And as always once rooted don't forget to nandroid backup.

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
How exactly do you put the roms/hacks on the phone? More instructions for that or is it just dragging the files into a folder on the phone? And what is nandroid backup exactly? A backup program obviously, but why the need for a specific backup? I backup my droid roughly every month.

likwidsoul

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
You just drop and drag the rom files on your phone ands use rom manager to install. You can also download directly from phone. Rom manager is free on the market. It also flashes the clockworkmod custom recovery image. This is the screen you get to when you turn your phone off and turn it back on holding power and x on keyboard. Now nandroid is included in the custom recovery image. It completely backs up your phone on your phone. I mean everything. All your apps contacts and even the way your screens are set up. This is so if a rom fails to load properly or you get stuck in a boot loop then you can boot into recovery and restore your phone from backup.

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Got caught up with work and am rooting my droid as I type this. One last question, can I only have 1 custom rom at a time loaded on my phone? From what I understand, I need to flash everything before I can put a new rom on their.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes, when you flash between roms, you need to wipe data/cache. the good thing though is that most 2.2 roms will automatically download all your apps for you.

I HIGHLY recommend you purchase Rom manager. It's the easiest way to manage roms, backups, etc.

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Alright. Which rom is the best to use as a beginner? I just finished installing the drivers and the rsd lite program to my computer so i am still fairly early on in the process. Should I buy rom manager before I root or after?

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
After you root. It won't really work without root.

Rom manager allows you to easily find, download, install, and backup roms.

You need SetCPU if you plan on overclocking.

For starter roms, Jrummy, Sapphire, and Bugless Beast are all good choices. once Cyanogen releases a final version of CM6, it's an excellent choice as well.

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I updated to 2.2 and have flash running. Yay! Phone is at little sluggish now though. I am going to reinstall CM6 and see what happens. Also need to buy setcpu so I can overclock.

mscalero

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I used this guide to root my Droid to 2.2:

How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I have done the steps. 2.2 seems snappy and more polished, however it seems like I can't get at certain apps I used to have on 2.1 update1. I have also noticed my Droid is getting warm if not hot very often.

Is there a guide on how to reverse the above process, and go back to stock 2.1 update1?

Hoagie5252

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I used this guide to root my Droid to 2.2:

How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I have done the steps. 2.2 seems snappy and more polished, however it seems like I can't get at certain apps I used to have on 2.1 update1. I have also noticed my Droid is getting warm if not hot very often.

Is there a guide on how to reverse the above process, and go back to stock 2.1 update1?

Market update fix for Froyo leaked version 2 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
Here is the market fix just flash it.

mscalero

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Will I have to re setup my phone after I flash this? Or will all my settings and current configs for apps stay in tact?

M

mscalero

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
So is this a whole new ROM? Or is this just an update? It is time consuming to have to re-set up all my apps and settings. :(

Mike

Hoagie5252

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
With the market fix you flash it like a rom i use rom manager to do this. But dint wipe data just flash over whatever rom your running.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
So is this a whole new ROM? Or is this just an update? It is time consuming to have to re-set up all my apps and settings. :(

Mike

Half the fun of rooting goes into the wasting time basically doing nothing (i.e. loading new roms that differ by just a few features, trying new setups, etc). This stuff will take time so if you do not like that rooting is not really for you.

That said, there are many ways to make it easier (i use adw launcher for example and it has backup settings -- and google backups all the apps so those come back as well).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34