Considering taking the dive into Rootsville... What do I need to know?

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Alright, so when I first heard that rumored July 13th day for the 2.2 update, I considered it hogwash, but at the same time thought that July was reasonable, since it'd be before the Droid X gets 2.2. So I said to myself, "Self, if 2.2 doesn't come out for any OG Droids before the end of the month, you should take the dive and root your phone. Cautious nature, be damned!" Well, word is saying August now, and August isn't July, so while I could do that song and dance again next month, I'm considering just going for it. But before I follow this tutorial and do the deed, I need to know some things first.
  1. Let's start with the general question first: what should I prepare for? The tutorial makes it seems easy enough, but I'm still feeling a bit leery about what might happen.
  2. Obvious precautionary question: does that tutorial I linked to seem about right?
  3. I hear alot of talk about wiping your phone before flashing a new ROM. Obviously, I take it that means everything is gone. Everything. So, obviously, I should backup what I can (settings for LauncherPro, for instance). What about, say, my save file for Replica Island? That game does not give you an option to backup your save files.
  4. I'm likely to be getting my Droid running on CyanogenMod, since his team seems to have been around the block, so to speak, when it comes to this kind of thing. (Still hard to believe it's only been a year or 2 since the G1 hit.) Is this a good starting point for a newbie to the whole ROM scene?
  5. What apps should I be looking for to really take advantage of being rooted? I have a list of stuff I've picked out with a simple search of "root" on AppBrain, and this seems to be everything I could ask for, but am I missing anything? (Keep the mentioned ROMs in mind... I don't know if CyanogenMod comes with a way to overclock built-in or not, but I assume it does.
  6. In case I do have to do a full wipe and have to reinstall all my apps, I do have AppBrain in the wings. But I understand I'll have to download the dedicated Google apps myself. Is that right? Or is that something ROM Manager (something that sounds like a Root user really needs) handles for me?

..So, yeah, I'm pretty nervous about this. In fact, typing that out is giving me second thoughts, mostly in relation to how my Droid seems fine as it is. So now I guess I can add one more question to that list: Is rooting right for someone as overly cautious as me? I'm aware of it's benefits, but also worried about what else might happen...

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
We'll the tutorial sounds right same one I used but instead of going to step 2 just download rom manager flash clockworkmod and get cm6 through the app. Make sure if you want an overclock kernel download it before hand I believe cm6 only comes with a 600 kernel. The root apps are good. And once you install cm6 choose to wipe data and cache Google sync will do the rest for you
and while your at it get the 2.01 sbf

skankinmonkey

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
1. Droid Life's tutorial is excellent, it's what I used. Reading the tutorial is enough prep.

2. See above :)

3. Can't really answer this unfortunately. Some apps store save data to the SD card so you're fine if this is the case. Titanium Backup and other backup programs require root, so you may be out of luck here.

4. Everyone has different expectations with roms. I started out using BB before 2.2 dropped, however my preference right now is Sapphire (cvpcs in Rom Manager) because it has a good selection of kernels and some pretty good themes. It also feels snappier than cyanogen did to me. If you're into customization, you could also try out JRummy who has a ton of themes.

5. You could get dropcap2 also, if you're into screenshots, otherwise that list is pretty solid. I HIGHLY recommend paying for titanium backup if you're going to be changing roms a lot, it is a lifesaver with the registered features.

6. Sapphire with Rom Manager prompts you to install google apps and the market hack so you don't have to do that manually. A few other roms do that as well, though I don't know which ones exactly.

Hope this helps.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Cyanogen would typically be a great place to start, but as of yet, they don't have a final version of CM6 out.

Right now I'm using Jrummy's kangerade, but I have a buglessbeast rom I flash to from time to time as well. I HIGHLY suggest getting the premium version of Rom manager. It makes trying out new roms a breeze.

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to everyone but this guy:
We'll the tutorial sounds right same one I used but instead of going to step 2 just download rom manager flash clockworkmod and get cm6 through the app. Make sure if you want an overclock kernel download it before hand I believe cm6 only comes with a 600 kernel. The root apps are good. And once you install cm6 choose to wipe data and cache Google sync will do the rest for you
and while your at it get the 2.01 sbf

Sorry, bizz, but you're clearly not capable of typing in English. Though I do think I get what you're trying to say. You're trying to tell me to just apply the rooted 2.2 update.zip as if it were just the official 2.2 update and I was applying it manually (like I did with 2.1), then use ROM Manager to flash ClockworkMod's Recovery. Can you actually do that? Is a custom recovery module superfluous for getting Root? Obviously, you need it for custom ROMs, but do you need it for root?

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
You can't root a stock 2.1 phone. at all. all rooted versions of 2.1 and 2.2 (even "clean" ones) are some form of custom Rom. 2.1 on the motorola droid was never properly rooted, they can get around it by flashing the recovery and sbf.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund