I am not sure if anyone reported on this but I just played call of duty mw2 online thru my phone. I used wifi tether from the android market and it worked no problem. I had 3 out of 4 green bars for connection which I usually only get with my cable internet. No lag at all. Everyone said they could hear me fine thru my wireless mic also. It did take about 45 seconds to find a game because it had to go to a higher ping to find a match. So if anyone was wondering if you can play xbox online thru your droid you can. I haven't tried my ps3 yet but when I do I will let you know.
    08-06-2010 04:20 PM
    I would've expected the lag to be unbearable on an FPS. I used a broadband card to play one of the NCAA football games online a while back and while playable, the lag was annoying.
    08-06-2010 04:44 PM
    I didn't receive any lag at all. I played about a match to make sure but everything seemed fine. No one was jumping around or anything. I have a 20 mb cable connection and it seemed no different except for waiting 45 seconds for it to find a game instead of 15 seconds.
    08-06-2010 04:49 PM
    I didn't receive any lag at all. I played about a match to make sure but everything seemed fine. No one was jumping around or anything. I have a 20 mb cable connection and it seemed no different except for waiting 45 seconds for it to find a game instead of 15 seconds.
    That is pretty sweet, I must say I do notice a difference with web surfing. Didn't think you would be able to pull that off without lag. My friend had tried it before and said it wasn't as good as his dsl connection. For others reading this keep in mind your battery is going to be HOT, so be careful.
    08-06-2010 04:59 PM
    My battery didn't heat up but I only played one game to try it so if you do try this make sure your phone doesn't overheat.
    08-06-2010 06:24 PM
    I am not sure if anyone reported on this but I just played call of duty mw2 online thru my phone. I used wifi tether from the android market and it worked no problem. I had 3 out of 4 green bars for connection which I usually only get with my cable internet. No lag at all. Everyone said they could hear me fine thru my wireless mic also. It did take about 45 seconds to find a game because it had to go to a higher ping to find a match. So if anyone was wondering if you can play xbox online thru your droid you can. I haven't tried my ps3 yet but when I do I will let you know.
    Do you know how much data it would use because I was thinking about trying this out?
    08-08-2010 04:40 PM
    my guess is it uses a TON of data and once verizon cans the unlimited data, doing this on the reg will send you far over the limit. I'd say to simply monitor your usage after a few days and to make sure you use it respectfully in hopes that the powers that be do not get pissed and do all they can to block this for all.
    08-09-2010 12:10 PM
    Just to be clear is this for rooted Droids or stock ones? As of right now I'm too chicken to root since I'm new to the Droid, but having the ability to use wireless tether would be nice for the occassional Xbox or PS3 game. If on the off chance it is for non-rooted Droids, which wifi tether program is being used, since there are quite a few?
    Thanks.
    08-13-2010 06:56 AM
    Just to be clear is this for rooted Droids or stock ones? As of right now I'm too chicken to root since I'm new to the Droid, but having the ability to use wireless tether would be nice for the occassional Xbox or PS3 game. If on the off chance it is for non-rooted Droids, which wifi tether program is being used, since there are quite a few?
    Thanks.
    I would buy easy root. One click and you are rooted. I finally gave in after VZW didn't include wifi hot spot on froyo.
    N0S4ATU likes this.
    08-13-2010 12:14 PM
    I would buy easy root. One click and you are rooted. I finally gave in after VZW didn't include wifi hot spot on froyo.
    It's been pulled from the App Market. Is there another way to get it?

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: Easy Root loaded easily, but I downloaded Wireless Tether and I get an error when using that, something about a missing kernal. Hmm, looks like I need to do more research.
    08-13-2010 10:55 PM
    yeah, Wireless Tether for Root Users requires a custom kernel. There should be a Barnacle Wifi Tethering app that doesn't require another kernel.
    08-14-2010 07:40 AM
    yeah, Wireless Tether for Root Users requires a custom kernel. There should be a Barnacle Wifi Tethering app that doesn't require another kernel.
    That's the one I use. +1
    08-15-2010 05:11 PM
    You could easily download/apply a kernel and use wireless tether. Google droid kernel and you will find p3 and chevyno1 both have good kernels that support wireless tethering.
    08-20-2010 07:06 PM
    It didn't use that much data. I played for over 30 minutes and used only like 12mb.
    08-21-2010 02:31 PM
    It didn't use that much data. I played for over 30 minutes and used only like 12mb.
    Really? I find that very surprising and interesting. I'd like to see if anyone else can replicate this. I'd love to try it, but my Xbox is currently KIA. If I pick up a new 360 S I'll run a few MW2 and Halo 3 games to see what I come up with.

I hope it works decently, because I'm having a hell of a time with my DSL right now.
    08-25-2010 09:34 AM
    I am currently using it on my xbox 360 s. I can try it with halo 3 and see if it uses more or less data than mw2.
    08-25-2010 04:11 PM
    I am currently using it on my xbox 360 s. I can try it with halo 3 and see if it uses more or less data than mw2.
    Sweet, so how'd it work out?

Off topic, but I can't wait to get a 360 S and Halo: Reach!
    08-26-2010 08:50 AM
    i tried it on my 360 s today with mw2. took awhile to find a match. they put me in a game that was about to end, played about 10min lagged a couple times at first but after that i was really impressed and also surprised only used about 2.5mb
    09-06-2010 11:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD