Rooting?

redman213

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
So I was just browsing the forums and came across rooting and saw some youtube vids for the G1 are we gonna be able to root the Moto Droid or is Big Red blocking this?

redman213

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Good I haven't heard much talk about it but if it can be done thats good. Fun to see what it will be like when it becomes avaliable. I love Android!!!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
For anyone interested in rooting the device, remember NOT to install any of the MR's VZW is planning on releasing next month. Bugs like the ones they are trying to fix are usually a great way to find OS exploits.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
MR = maintainance release.
If someone can save and post the original Recovery Upgrade Utility (RUU) then you would be able to roll back if and when it's needed. The RUU would be like an OTA reinstall of the OS, and something you should be able to get from VZW. It's a windows program that lets you plug in the phone, click one icon, and restore a bricked droid.

I've been trying to get a copy of it, but the VZW stores I do work for claim that only a subscriber can get it, which I'm not. I will keep trying though :) I'm trying the line "How can I repair phones without the required software?"...but getting the response "You don't need it to replace batteries. You just want it to mess with." Can hardly argue with their logic lol.