remove superuser permissions

iJason#WN

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I rooted my Droid to install 2.1 and didn't like it so I went back to 2.0.1 however there is an icon on my homescreen called superuser permissions and I can't seem to remove it. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
IYou need to have root to remove it. The root patch moves superuser.apk to /system/app/ and this is not writable without root. I would just ignore the app as it does nothing and u no longer have root if you reloaded the 2.0.1 update.zip.

Otherwise if u have root still you need to mount the system partioin for writing and remove the superuser file.

iJason#WN

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Is there a site that details how to do this? I'm just worried if I have to take my phone to Verizon they will see the app and not fix my phone if there's an issue with it

Kaus

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Hold power and x when its booting up then camera and volume down and choose to wipe/restore.

Last edited:

travisFC

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Just flashing back to the unrooted OS won't remove it you need to do the following.

1. Re-root your phone (yes make sure your phone is "jailbroke" again) and download an app in the market called Terminal Emulator (its free)

2. Now type the following in the terminal emulator app. One line at a time and pressing enter after each line

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/app
rm Superuser.apk
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

3. Sync phone with google (in the settings)

4. Reboot phone

5. App should now be gone...

6. Reapply unrooted OS and wipe device .

7. Should be unrooted and the app will be gone..you can check your root status by using the Terminal Emulator app and typing "su" it should say permission denied

Hope that helps

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Dying factory wipe doesn't help. And the sync command is not the google sync its a Linux command called sync. Lastly while it doesn't matter in this case, system partition is mtdblock4 not 3

Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

iJason#WN

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Dying factory wipe doesn't help. And the sync command is not the google sync its a Linux command called sync. Lastly while it doesn't matter in this case, system partition is mtdblock4 not 3
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I followed the steps posted and it worked fine

eroccia

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
when I run mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system i get the following back

usage: mount (-r) (-w) (-o options) (-t type) device ditectory.

what am i doing wrong?

eroccia

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I found a quick way to do this as well.

Must be rooted.

download and install root manager
choose remove system apps or apps data
then select apps
then remove
find superuser.apk and click on it
choose remove (no backup)
reboot
then follow the directions on how to unroot (factory reset) or the 2.0.1 update

jruetten

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
rm command didn't work

everthing worked fine except when I type in the rm Superuser.apk. I get an error that says the folder isn't empty.

The main reason I want to remove the root is because I can't upgrade to 2.2 and I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't update. Sprint can't help because they have no idea what the issue is with the update. It downloads fine but when it goes to install it, I get a triangle with an exclamation point inside and nothing happens after that.

amshere

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Getting superuser off..

Can you still unroot using z4 after doing this?

Thanks.

I found a quick way to do this as well.

Must be rooted.

download and install root manager
choose remove system apps or apps data
then select apps
then remove
find superuser.apk and click on it
choose remove (no backup)
reboot
then follow the directions on how to unroot (factory reset) or the 2.0.1 update

Franciscodv92

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Just flashing back to the unrooted OS won't remove it you need to do the following.

1. Re-root your phone (yes make sure your phone is "jailbroke" again) and download an app in the market called Terminal Emulator (its free)

2. Now type the following in the terminal emulator app. One line at a time and pressing enter after each line

su
cd /system/app
rm Superuser.apk

3. Sync phone with google (in the settings)

4. Reboot phone

5. App should now be gone...

6. Reapply unrooted OS and wipe device .

7. Should be unrooted and the app will be gone..you can check your root status by using the Terminal Emulator app and typing "su" it should say permission denied

Hope that helps

ok this was almost right i did about two hours of research because im taking my phone in tomorow to be replaced and i could not get the superuser.apk to be gone even after unroot the onlything wrong is it isnt mtdblock3 its mtdblk3 i was trying the orginal method and i was getting read only file errors hope this helped saved me alot of money THANKS!

blast0idVisi0n

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

su
cd /system/app
rm Superuser.apk

just to update, and save some unnecessary typing the command can be
mount -o remount, rw /system
it accomplishes the same thing...

Last edited:

adrifts

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Capitalization matters

I have had the same problem and I figured out the issue was the filename was SuperUser.apk instead of Superuser.apk, since by default SuperOneClick uses Superuser.apk

Joris#AC

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Problem with superuser

am. i read your problems and about the superuser i got my android 2.1 not long ago and then at the first week started to download everything from the market and foud this superuser and i didn't even know what it does i thought this would be like a task manager u know. but when i wound out about it it was to late.. ant it all would be very cool well i rooted my vodafone 845 and that's cool but the only problem is that it doesn't work properly... well it is and superuser icon in menu and even after factory reset it doesn't disapear but when i tried to remove it let just say with a root uninstaler (from market) it says that my phone is not rooted and when i type su in the terminal emulator (from market) it says permision denied (that should hapen if the phone is not rooted) and i want to root my phone now but i can't becouse that program (superuser) that doesn't even Work don't let other programs to do it! please help i'm new with the android's and now i don't have the waranty and it is not rooted properly.Help!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol