Best ROM for Droid

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have rooted my phone and played around with bloat freezer, and I think I am ready to take the next step with a custom ROM. When I had my Blackberry I flashed it's ROM several times, but I have not done it under Android. I have read everything that has been posted but I still have a question. I am not looking for fancy themes or anything like that. I run Home++ with Widget Locker. I just really want a vanilla, plain jane ROM. Which one would ya'll recommend that I use?
:cool:

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
There are tons of ROMS available, just download ROM Manager from the market and keep flashing ROM's til you find one you like. Just make sure you do a backup first!

jclaus

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree download Rom manager it makes life easy. I was a blackberry user for 5 years and will never look back. The 2 Roms I like are CyanogenMod and Ultimate Droid. Cyanogenmod is in rom manager, however you will have to get paid version of rom manger to get Ultimate Droid. Both are great and if you dont want to buy paid version just dl it from theultimatedroid.com
Also a launcher i highly recommend is Zeam

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Try Metickone's Rom. Very clean almost stock with a few tweaks(gingerbread keyboard and a few others). All in all very good and can be overclocked with any of Chevy's kernels.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I like Pete's Bugless Beast ROMs a lot. The newest series of ROMs (0.6.x.x) is gingerbread themed, but still relatively stock. The ROM has been running flawlessly for me for a very long time; as a matter of fact, I have never stuck with a ROM longer than this. Definitely recommend it!!! (It's in the free section of ROM manager btw)

Kage87Z

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Let me toss project elite 4.2 into the mix.

It's a nice piece of work and part of the 3 I use in rotation, which includes CM7 nightlies (up to #26 now and it's really good) and Ultimate Droid 3.0RC2.

I like the variety... but most of the time, I'm using CM7 because the other two aren't changed nearly as often.

DeeMat

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
In January alone, I have used PE, MIUI, SS, BB, UD, and Sourcery.

I somehow always went back to PE which gave new life to my beat up D-1. I also loved MIUI except for the MMS Video bug (which is why I kept looking for another ROM). Sourcery seems very promising.

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Sourcery 2.0 release this week.

Very customizable, stable etc, and that's before you even think of installing a theme (and it came out of the box with 15 supported themes)

Drew Galyen

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted my Droid a few days ago after finally accepting that FroYo was the end of the line. After some troubleshooting and some learning (both easy and painful) I am starting to get the hang of it. I am currently revolving between my stock FroYo (I think I messed it up with a bekit 1.1 kernal...still learning), CM6.2(?) and just now I flashed Liquid Gingerbread 1.0. It's oc'd stock up to 1.0Ghz w/SetCPU and I just scored a 1399 on Quadrant. I'm really looking forward to PE4.3 too.

P.S. It comes with tons of options, preloaded boot animations, etc. easy as pie for a root noob like me.

Last edited:

lowchef1

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I also just recently rooted my droid 1 and have been experimenting with different roms...In the past few days ive used stock rooted 2.2 overclock 800mhz, bugless beast w/chevy 1.1 and 1 kernal, pe4, petes new ginerbread rom, and now back to stock froyo overclocked....i would have to say that my phone runs best on the first and last setup....when using the other roms it would get glitchy or "laggy" when swiping home screens fast and scrolling the apps fast..and my phone got very hot with most roms...maybe ive not figured this out yet.

Last edited:

bigmac44

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Getting Frustrated

So far I've tried Ultimate Droid 3.0 and GPA11 from Peter Alfonso. Both were great ROMs but they both had Accelerometer issues. That is a big issue for me as I use portrait for almost everything and landscape for GPS and Angry Birds (among other things). I went back to stock for now (which I hate but tolerate) until they fix their issues. I am new to installing ROMs and I like everything these ROMs offer, but they seem too unstable and buggy. I just want everything to work.