ROM for my MOM

idkmybffjill

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
First off, I would post this in ROMs/hax, but the network i'm on has decided to block access to that part of the forums. Apparently the network software thinks it contains teh pr0nz.

Anywho, my mom has the Droid and I want to get it rooted and flashed with a custom ROM that will improve it for her. I'm not farmiliar with the Droid (I'm on a Fascinate), so if anyone has a suggestion for a good, straightforward ROM that will enhance her Droid's speed & stability, I'd appreciate it.

acrididae

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
+1 Cyanogen

...I also like being able to toggle wireless, bluetooth and GPS right from the pull down visor. Cyanogen has made my Droid snappy and stable again. I noticed that I'm getting another 2-3 hours of battery life a day out of my Droid now (I suspect Cyanogen's dark theme helps a lot).

I also recommend using Zeam as a launcher; it's simple and light-weight.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of doing this for my wife's Droid. what improvements would I expect to see over just leaving it stock?

Faster and smoother performance.

Better battery life.

No pre-installed garbage apps that you can't un-install.

If she plays games that are a little too heavy and the Droid has a hard time keeping up, Cyanogen allows you to overclock as their ROM loads a custom kernel overclockable to 800MHz.

Cyanogen uses ADW Launcher so she can have more homescreens and 5 quick launch icons at the bottom.

idkmybffjill

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Faster and smoother performance.

Better battery life.

No pre-installed garbage apps that you can't un-install.

If she plays games that are a little too heavy and the Droid has a hard time keeping up, Cyanogen allows you to overclock as their ROM loads a custom kernel overclockable to 800MHz.

I thought all of these would be great reasons to flash CM, but when I did, I was severely dissapointed. First of all, the market and a lot of other apps weren't there at all. I also didn't see how to overclock. If anyone can let me know how to get the market running on CM please let me know.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I thought all of these would be great reasons to flash CM, but when I did, I was severely dissapointed. First of all, the market and a lot of other apps weren't there at all. I also didn't see how to overclock. If anyone can let me know how to get the market running on CM please let me know.

It is against Google policies for Cyanogen to include the Market or other Google Apps (GApps) in their build. You can add it separately once you have Cyanogen installed. Using ROM Manager, touch Download ROM, then CyanogenMod and touch Google Apps (Froyo). That will install apps like GMail, Market, Google Maps for CyanogenMod 6.1.2.

The kernel installed with CM will allow for overclocking up to 800MHz, but you either need an application, or know your way around a terminal. The easiest thing to do would be to use an app like SetCPU.

By titling the thread about a ROM for your Mom, I think most of us assumed you had actually loaded custom ROMs before. Hence why no one explained about the GApps. Next time, let people know that you have never flashed anything before and you would have been pointed to other sources that would have been more helpful.

Do your homework before you flash. There is tons of info in the Cyanogen Wiki and Forums that would have explained all of these questions and more ahead of time. I hope you remembered to do a Nandroid backup.

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I think the kernel is already set at 800Mhz so there is no need to overclock.