The dangers of overclocking the Motorola Droid?

veggiop

Feb 18, 2011
www.fivefingers.me
I've had my Motorola Droid rooted and overclocked now for a while, It's always been at 800MHz, a friend of mine who works at Verizon told me it should never go past 800MHz because you highly risk frying the phone, but I've seen a lot of people lately who have their Motorola droid at 1GHz+ with no problems, what are the risks of putting your Motorola droid past 1GHz, and what precautions should i take before making the jump to 1GHz?

KKShiz

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Is there a risk? Yes. However there is a risk even when you root your phone. The question is how great a risk. I've had mine overclocked to 1.25 ghz. I had no problems. It murdered my battery, but I had no problems. It did get very warm. Especially if I was making it work like a horse, like using N64oid. As always, make a back up of that which you deem important.

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
My Droid has has a 1ghz kernal for quite a while now. Because of the profiles I've set up it doesn't run at that speed all the time. I haven't had many issues with it at all. The only time I even get the "failsafe warning" is during certain games. But if I just put the display to sleep for a little bit, the phone cools down quickly.

That being said.... THERE IS ALWAYS THE RISK OF FRYING YOUR PHONE!

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
veggiop,

Here's some good news. There are some devs out there, slayher, p3droid, Chevy No. 1, who have built great kernels for the Droid.

You do still run some risk, but here's what's going down.

When you overclock a processor, you're forcing it to run faster than what it was intended. This can cause it to consume more power and if pushed too far, overheat.

The devs I've mentioned above have really tweaked the kernel. They are getting the processor to run faster using LESS power. That means the CPU stays cool even under a load. Now, my 1.2GHz ultra-low-voltage kernel will cause the processor to get warm if I run it at 1.2GHz and run a few benchmarks back to back to back. Thanks to SetCPU it's easy to adjust the max clock speed.

Throughout the day I have my Droid set at 1GHz and only run it up to 1.2GHz when I need it (rarely).

There is a risk, but a custom ROM like CM with a custom kernel from one of those devs will make it feel like a brand new phone.

Here's the steps to take.

1) Nandroid backup.
2) I won't repeat myself, but you should pay attention to step 1.
3) Download kernels from the dev of your choice at different clock speeds and voltages.
4) Test the kernels one by one. Load a low voltage 1GHz and run it for a couple of days, if it's unstable try a higher voltage or lower clock speed.
5) Read the applicable threads. The devs will have threads going on their home forum, read through them to see what kernels work for which ROMs.

If you don't know where to start, try the CM7 RC2 for the Droid as your ROM and pair it with Chevy No. 1's Low Voltage 1GHz kernel. Should make for a nice, powerful, stable combination.

Chevy No. 1 kernels here: ChevyNo1 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
CM7 RC2 Info: http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...acks/66421-first-cm7-rc-has-landed-droid.html

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae