[How To] Peter Alfonso's Stock Gingerbread Rom on stock OG Droid

c0r3y

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am creating this because I couldn't find a simple How To that takes a completely stock unrooted FRG83D Droid 1 to running Peter Alfonso's (simply amazing) stock Gingerbread ROM with his custom low voltage kernels. Here are the steps I took.

I hope it helps someone else finally take the plunge to rooting and custom ROMs. Being a 'day-zero' Droid adopter, I can't believe I didn't do this sooner.

I cannot stress this enough - HUGE thanks to Peter Alfonso, AndroidCentral Forum contributors, XDA Developers and everyone else in our great Android community. Make a legitimate effort to donate a little cash to any one or all of these fine folks.

IMPORTANT: You are doing all of this at your own risk. As with any rooting / romming / kernel modification, you are voiding your warranty and you run the risk, however slight it may be, of turning your phone into a glorified paperweight. I am not responsible for any ill effects you encounter. If you are concerned at all, stop here. Rooting and custom ROMs are not for you.

1.) See first post below from Nechasin for a better method of rooting that helps with step 8. Root your FRG83D (may work on other stock OS versions) phone using SuperOneClick: Follow the instructions and get SuperOneClick here.
2.) Install Rom Manager from the Android Market.
3.) Open Rom manager and choose to Flash ClockworkMod Recovery.
4.) Download Peter's latest Droid Gingerbread ROM here.
5.) Download a version of Peter's custom kernel that you are happy with. I chose the 1.0 GHz Low Voltage as a nice middle ground and it works fantastically. remember to Flash his AutoOverclocker.zip to enable the new clockspeed.
6.) Copy those two zip files to your Droid's SD card via USB cable with USB Storage turned on.
7.) Disconnect your phone from your computer and open Rom Manager.
8.) Choose Reboot into Recovery. If your phone hangs at the exclamation screen on reboot, pop out your battery, put it back in and boot the phone as normal. Open Rom Manager and choose to flash a different version of ClockworkMod Recovery. Repeat booting into recovery until it actually does (you will see a text-based menu.)
9.) From the recovery options wipe your Data and Cache partitions.
10.) Choose to install a ROM zip from SD. Pick Peter's Gingerbread rom and flash it.
11.) Choose to install a ROM zip from SD. Pick Peter's kernel and flash it.
12.) Go back to the main menu and reboot the phone.
13.) Welcome to stock Gingerbread. Go through the standard paces of linking the phone to your Google account. While it is syncing, go to your Wireless settings and connect to WiFi (will make this all go much faster.)
14.) When you finally see the message that all your apps have downloaded / updated, make sure you have You Tube, Gmail, Maps, etc. If you do not, open up the Market and go get what you need.
15.) Set Gmail to auto sync by going to your phone: Settings > Accounts & sync > example@gmail.com > Sync Gmail
16.) Shut the phone down and then boot it up to tie up any loose ends.

Enjoy. Donate to Peter here. Donate to XDA by creating an account and becoming a contributor.

Last edited:

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I've been trying to root my droid the easy way for days using superoneclick. I got root real easy, but I had a hell of a time trying to get the custom recovery to stick. I finally read through all of MotoCache1 instructions and understood.
I read this
While not technically part of the rooting puzzle, there is also the Flash Recovery Service (FRS). This service is installed by the OTA updates and is designed to keep your recovery partition from getting corrupted. Of course to your carrier, if you install a custom recovery, that is corrupted because it's not the one they want you to have. Each time your phone boots, FRS will check your recovery partition, and if it is "corrupted" it will attempt to flash it back to stock.

The update.zip in this procedure installs su, Superuser.apk, busybox, and disables FRS so that it all stays that way after each boot.

Motocache1 root method takes care of this and custom recoveries will stick if you root using his method.

So I highly recommend not using superoneclick and root the harder way. It should help with step 8 above.

GilmourD

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a total n00b question, here...

I'm thinking of rooting my OG Droid and installing this ROM. I know I need to backup everything because installing the ROM initially is a fresh start. However, whenever a new version of the ROM comes out, will updating function like the OTA updates in that the system gets updated and all your data stays with the install or would I be starting fresh with every update?

Last edited:

GilmourD

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying to root my droid the easy way for days using superoneclick. I got root real easy, but I had a hell of a time trying to get the custom recovery to stick. I finally read through all of MotoCache1 instructions and understood.
I read this

Motocache1 root method takes care of this and custom recoveries will stick if you root using his method.

So I highly recommend not using superoneclick and root the harder way. It should help with step 8 above.

Actually, in reading the post that you linked to, I found it a bit easier to use Super One Click and then go to this post by Motocache1.

FRG01B OTA enables a feature to undo custom recovery partitions - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

I used the Root Explorer method and it's been working swimmingly. This way you get the best of both worlds--easy root and you get to use ClockworkMod Recovery.

I imagine this would work for you guys, too.

Anthonysflying

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree!

I rooted in that method first(with SBF) created my recovery files and followed the instructions above. ROM manager does recognize recovery files from SBF at the bottom of the app menu. I haven't tried to recover to stock yet since i am completely in love with GPA14 and 1 GHz. Kudos to Peter Alfonso!

mnahtyga

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded My Droid OG Last night. Followed the instructions no I have Gingerbread 2.3.3 Running with the Low Voltage 1ghz zip. Running Fantastic !! Even got NetFlix running on it. !!!!!!

jkarn88

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I did this once before and just recently recieved a new OG Droid due to having broke my old ones screen. I followed the directions exact same as the last time I did it and now it boot loops at the eye. Anyone have any suggestions

jkarn88

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Scratch that, I just looked at my model number and noticed they sent me the Droid Milestone, definitely didn't have that originally

Android210D1

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving Pete's Stock Rooted Gingerbread GPA15 with Lv 1000...also have super circle battery with transparent pulldown..only issue is losing 3G after receiving calls or making them:-\..but thats it:D

masterorian

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How To] Peter Alfonso's Stock Gingerbread Rom on stock OG Dr

Love the gingerbread on my droid 1, it runs amazing.... Except for one problem. Is it normal for the android market to be REALLY slow and buggy with this?

droidnerd99

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I just attempted this process on my FRG83G 2.2.2 OTA stock Droid 1 and got stuck on the step to install the Rom Manager. I held down the power button to turn off my phone and powered it back up, expecting everything to work dandy. It did not. I was not getting the prompt from SuperUser to allow root for any apps. Rebooted the phone in the same way many times and tried many things. After searching around, here's the step I found that should probably be obvious but wasn't obvious to me:

After SuperOneClick finishes successfully, do a battery pull.

Once the phone boots back up, everything worked perfectly. Hope this helps another noob like myself!

Thanks all for your hard work!

excavator12

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

I tried installing ROMs on my droid before...never was able to do it...for some reason I was able to get through this process on the first try. I already had my phone rooted for a while though. Thanks so much!

KennethD

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I hope I'm in the right place. I have an old Droid 1 on 2.2.3.
I would like to root it and try a nice rom.
It is no longer being as a cell phone.
I plan on using it as a VOIP phone for long distance calling and a biking dashboard.

And what ever else I can come up with.

Are the instructions at the beginning of this thread what I need?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk