Looking for simple rooting results - what's the best method?

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010
www.dancingcrabspeaks.blogspot.com
I'm due to receive my Moto Droid today (very excited - so long Storm2). I've been reading about rooting, and it all seems very cool, but I'm not so interested in 2.1 (before the official release), themes, or other-device OSs. If I were to root, this is a short list of things I would like to do:

1) Remove bloatware - the Corporate Calendar, VZW's Visual Voicemail link, and I've read there is even a worthless Amazon MP3 app/link.

2) OC to maybe 800MHz - what can I say, I do like the idea of tinkering a little :)

Can someone explain to me, step-by-step, the most simplistic method of performing the above changes to a regular stock Droid? Tips on how to reverse the process, and also whether such rooting would prevent an OTA update, would also be appreciated.

I read guides and explanations all over the web, but they are confusing and often lead to more major hacks than I'm interested in (I don't want Nexus One features - at least not until they are official).

Thanks for any help.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I just saw it, thanks! Quick question: Having rooted a Droid, would that simply allow me to delete the 'bloatware' I mentioned in a regular fashion? Or would I need to install some sort of file manager?

Once you've "rooted" you will be able to rename the .apk files you don't want, like Amazon MP3, for example, so they don't show up in your drawer. I'm not sure if it's safe to remove them all together. I'm compiling this info and should have better FAQ's on it by end of today.

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
the easiest way to root and get everything you are looking at is to get the sholes updater. You can get this on the marketplace or go to the developers website and download it for free.. but its worth the five dollars.. just follow what is says to do and don't get freaked out by the disclamers.. they say things like your warranty is now voided.. its not and won't be as long as you don't do anything crazy.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
the easiest way to root and get everything you are looking at is to get the sholes updater. You can get this on the marketplace or go to the developers website and download it for free.. but its worth the five dollars.. just follow what is says to do and don't get freaked out by the disclamers.. they say things like your warranty is now voided.. its not and won't be as long as you don't do anything crazy.

as of late last night sholes has been taken down and is not on market and the website is shut down. I don't know if it's back up yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol