So I updated to 2.1 a few days ago, fresh install, no root or anything. I have since put on the recovery tool (SPBRecovery I think it's called) so I am now able to use nandroid and install custom roms. I really want to install a custom rom that will enable overclocking because the Droid feels slow compared to the 950Mhz i was running at on 2.0.1

So I've tried a couple versions of Bugless Beast that claim to work for 2.1 but can't get any to work. It's all very convoluted because ALL the roms have features from 2.1 so they all come up when searching for this.

So I just want a rooted rom with overclocked kernels that I can install over my current 2.1 using SPBrecovery.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    04-14-2010 01:57 AM
    bump, please help!
    04-14-2010 01:24 PM
    Don't get what you are asking for?
    You want to stay on the official but want to use a custom rom?
    04-14-2010 01:34 PM
    You need root for a custom ROM.
    Downgrade back to 2.0.1
    root
    install rooted 2.1
    flash custom ROM
    04-14-2010 01:35 PM
    Do rooting boost up memory?
    04-14-2010 02:35 PM
    Usually boosts speed. Memory is random, depending if you are using a full-featured (or bulky) ROM or not.
    04-14-2010 05:16 PM
    Well since I already have installed the recovery I was wondering if there is a rooted rom I can now flash without having to go back to 2.0.1, but it sounds like the answer to that may be no.
    04-14-2010 07:36 PM
    No, you have to have root BEFORE you can run a custom rom.
    04-14-2010 07:54 PM
    That is un true, if you ran the recovery, all you need to do is download both, (free and premium) of ROM Manager (Market), then you can download and run custom roms, go to Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog and click on ROOT up on the right side!
    04-17-2010 07:29 PM
    Well since I already have installed the recovery I was wondering if there is a rooted rom I can now flash without having to go back to 2.0.1, but it sounds like the answer to that may be no.
    The answer is yes, as long as your 2.1 is rooted. If you received the over-the-air upgrade, then you are not rooted. If that is the case, then you will have to downgrade to 2.01 so you can root. If your phone is already rooted on a manually-installed 2.1, then all you need to do is choose the ROM you want to install and flash away. The ROM Manager app in the market is an easy way to do it.
    04-17-2010 11:37 PM
    The answer is yes, as long as your 2.1 is rooted. If you received the over-the-air upgrade, then you are not rooted. If that is the case, then you will have to downgrade to 2.01 so you can root. If your phone is already rooted on a manually-installed 2.1, then all you need to do is choose the ROM you want to install and flash away. The ROM Manager app in the market is an easy way to do it.
    You don't necessarily need to go back to 2.0.1. If he flashed the SPRecovery using RSD Lite, he should be good. [How-To] Install SPRecovery on unrooted 2.1 OTA - Android Forums

Were you trying to do a nandroid restore with bugless beast?
    04-17-2010 11:51 PM
    If you follow the rest of the directions on Droidmod (and lets give credit where due, AFAIK, they were the first to publish this exploit) 2.1 SP Recovery SBF has arrived ! you will have full root permission on stock 2.1

From there, you can install a kernel with overclocking, without disrupting the rest of your setup at all.
    04-18-2010 12:09 AM
    Usually boosts speed. Memory is random, depending if you are using a full-featured (or bulky) ROM or not.
    Should be able to Google it... I think it's on xda

Edit: Wow.. This isn't the post I replied to at all... Guess Tapatalk glitch...

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    08-02-2013 11:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD