10-28-2015 02:10 PM
66 123
tools
    I read the screen quality is disappointing. That's not worth the durability of the screen.
    10-27-2015 06:51 PM
    I read the screen quality is disappointing. That's not worth the durability of the screen.
    Agreed, I read this too and it turned me away. I'll check it out this week if my sister decides to go in because I always go with to ensure Verizon doesn't change things. I was considering the Turbo 2 but a downgrade on the display just isn't worth it.

I'll keep my Turbo unless I get a Nexus 6p
    10-27-2015 07:37 PM
    I'm concerned too. I will go to a store on Thursday, and hopefully will be able to see with my own eyes (I'm sure they'll have some display models ready to go since it's a major launch.)
    10-27-2015 07:59 PM
    Ya know, I was really excited for this phone. I really was. I thought this would be the replacement to my Droid Maxx. There's just too much about it that doesn't seem right. Yes the phone is ugly. Yes it is big. Yes the screen sucks. The specs really are the same as last year's Turbo; even worse on the battery actually. So I got scared. I decided why don't I just get the last year's version for half the price!? I just bought a new turbo in blue ballistic nylon on swappa for $320. Can't beat that. Ill keep that until the right phone comes along. So far in 2015, none are checking the right boxes for me...

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-27-2015 10:15 PM
    The shatter proof screen is definitely not worth those 2ft bezels around the edges. I keep hoping that they will come out with razor thin bezels like the LG's, but no such luck. At least it looks like this one will have some options so the back doesn't have to be as slippery as on the Turbo.
    dmark44 likes this.
    10-28-2015 02:14 AM
    The shatter proof screen is definitely not worth those 2ft bezels around the edges. I keep hoping that they will come out with razor thin bezels like the LG's, but no such luck. At least it looks like this one will have some options so the back doesn't have to be as slippery as on the Turbo.
    When i bought the turbo on release day last year, i went with the ballistic nylon because i figured it would be more grippy. The next day i went back and got a case because the nylon was soooo slippery!

Im sure i will get this phone on friday, and i would love to use it w out a case, but that black rubber back is going to have to be grippy lol.

I don't think its an ugly phone, reality is phones are slabs, and there is only so much you can do before it reminds you of a different phone. I dont mind the bezels since it has purpose.. the edge to edge glass makes the phone more fragile, and i for one want a tough flagship... im willing to give up how pretty people think it is as long as i can use how i want.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!
    dmark44, bpe4 and maxman1 like this.
    10-28-2015 03:37 AM
    I don't think its an ugly phone, reality is phones are slabs, and there is only so much you can do before it reminds you of a different phone. I dont mind the bezels since it has purpose.. the edge to edge glass makes the phone more fragile, and i for one want a tough flagship... im willing to give up how pretty people think it is as long as i can use how i want.
    Well put! For me, I will, give the phone a chance before I order the MXPE. But it will come down to the screen quality and feel in hand of that 3.07in width rather than how the bezels look.
    10-28-2015 04:13 AM
    $30/month for T2 with 64GB storage, that will buy you one refresh of the case with Moto Maker...
    It's an extra $4 a month for the refresh. The refresh is a "like new", not necessarily a new, phone.
    10-28-2015 06:36 AM
    Is possible that there was an error, but when I put my phone (32gb Moto X 2014 with wood back) into the Verizon online trade in calculator, it came out to $30. I wouldn't bank on getting a significant trade in.
    That has to be an error. I just got $100 on a trade in for a 2011 Droid 3. They do test it when you send it in, but I still got the $100.
    Ry likes this.
    10-28-2015 06:42 AM
    Not necessarily an error. They may be giving more credit for old droids.
    10-28-2015 06:56 AM
    If you go online and check trade in value, its not the same as the promotional trade in when a new phone is released.

doogald likes this.
    10-28-2015 07:13 AM
    Too bad they didn't make the ugly check a fingerprint sensor.
    10-28-2015 12:31 PM
    Ya know, I was really excited for this phone. I really was. I thought this would be the replacement to my Droid Maxx. There's just too much about it that doesn't seem right. Yes the phone is ugly. Yes it is big. Yes the screen sucks. The specs really are the same as last year's Turbo; even worse on the battery actually. So I got scared. I decided why don't I just get the last year's version for half the price!? I just bought a new turbo in blue ballistic nylon on swappa for $320. Can't beat that. Ill keep that until the right phone comes along. So far in 2015, none are checking the right boxes for me...

Posted via the Android Central App
    I don't think it's fair to say they're the same specs. The processor is 8 cores (vs 4), 64 bit (vs 32), and a smaller architecture that should (and according to information I've looked up so far, does) result in better efficiency, which means the barely smaller battery should last as long or longer. It's the same amount of RAM, but the Turbo2 has DDR4 (vs DDR3). The Turbo1 doesn't have microSD, where the Turbo2 does.

I'm not saying all of that is going to make a huge difference, but it's not equal either. It's about the same incremental upgrade we tend to see in most annual design updates, spec-wise. Getting at Turbo1 at about half the price is a good deal (assuming it's in great shape, etc), and for many people possibly a wise decision. The screen on the Turbo2 is a concern from reviews so far, and I know I'll be wanting to look at it in person, but frankly I expect it to be good, just maybe not great.
    dmark44 likes this.
    10-28-2015 12:45 PM
    Ill settle for a good screen. I love the quad hd on my turbo and note5, but to be honest the 1080 looks great to me too. So if this quad is maybe still as clear as 1080 i will be fine w that.

I just need to see it person, when i go in friday to get a phone, it would actually have to be pretty sucky for me to walk out w out it.

dmark44 likes this.
    10-28-2015 01:47 PM
    I'm super happy they chose AMOLED for the Turbo 2. After seeing/using the LCD they put into the Moto X Pure Edition, I feared they would use the same thing in the Turbo 2. The Moto Active display was meant for AMOLED, as the notification 'breathing' uses less battery on AMOLEDs since only part of the screen fires. On the MXPE's LCD, the whole screen comes to life during Moto Active notifications.
    10-28-2015 01:51 PM
    It somehow didn't occur to me to see what type of screen my Maxx has, but it's S-AMOLED, and I've always been happy with it, with the exception of wishing it had a higher resolution (it's 720p) for use in Google Cardboard. So as long as colors aren't odd somehow, I bet I'll be happy.
    10-28-2015 02:10 PM
66 123