Moto ShatterShield on the DROID TURBO 2

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Cant wait to play w one and see how it works and looks in person.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Since the display is made out of a series of plastic layers (with no glass), I wonder how well it can hold up to scratches. Plastic isn't nearly as resistant to scratches as glass is.

Thankfully, I've never cracked a screen on my smartphones from dropping them. Scratches however would be a problem for me. It can ruin the viewing experience.

coreyr1

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
That's a concern of mine as well. I've never been able to scratch any of the Gorilla glass phones but I'm sure this plastic will scratch. Seems that their plan to deal with this is a replaceable top layer. Supposedly available through the Motorola site and replaceable by anyone.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
The outer layer is replaceable by the phone owner, motorola says you can order replacemens from them and they will be available in some stores.

I had thought of buying a zagg, but the if the phone has a replaceable one already, there really isn't an need

Posted via the Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Wonder if someone might make a glass lens for it then. I have a glass screen protector on an iPad Air, and love it. Hard to tell it's even there.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Apparently that Moto Shattershield is doing something because I looked at four Droid Turbo 2s today and every one of them had dark, dingy screens on maximum brightness looking at system settings screens compared to the Pure at maximum brightness. Interestingly though, the Maxx 2 actually had a brighter and whiter screen than my Pure with that test, although I do have a tempured glass protector on my screen.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Apparently that Moto Shattershield is doing something because I looked at four Droid Turbo 2s today and every one of them had dark, dingy screens on maximum brightness looking at system settings screens compared to the Pure at maximum brightness. Interestingly though, the Maxx 2 actually had a brighter and whiter screen than my Pure with that test, although I do have a tempured glass protector on my screen.

Odd, on the display units I saw, the screen seemed almost obnoxiously bright, and maybe the tiniest bit oversaturated. Overall it looked like a very nice display though.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that is strange since I looked at four of them. Did you compare it to another phone?

Just my own experience with my own Droid Maxx. I have a hard time believing it could be much brighter than it was without washing out though. It was very bright.

buildscapeinc

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
There is a tempered glass protector on Amazon, says they wil have stock & start shipping Oct 31st. There is also a matte traditional screen protector availible, was thinking about getting the former. Went into look at the phone yesterday. The screen to me felt like any other glass screen, didn't feel like a softer plastic cover. Also it looked bright, didn't notice any dull or darker screen.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Remembering a stock response from the beginning Turbo 1 forum... Did you take off the plastic sheet covering the phone in the box?

I remember that being offered for every condition that was asked about for the first month of the Turbo. It was quite funny at the time.

buildscapeinc

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Just talked to Motorola customer service about the screen 4 year warranty & the user replaceable 1st screen layer. He wasn't sure about the 4 year warranty or what the replacement procedure would be. Said he knew about it & was supposed to have training on that in a couple of days (possibly tomorrow). He said the protective 1st layer would be availible to purchase from Moto but he wasn't sure yet how much it would be. Will probably be covered in his training. Also said the 1st layer will be just like replacing a traditional screen protector (which he recommended being installed on the screen too).

atari52oo

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Really is Shatterproof!

After seeing this, my guess would be that in the next 1-2 years all handsets will be built with similar screens.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Really is Shatterproof!

You will have hatemongers for everything. I betcha most of the hate are from people who can't get one and/or are jealous of the features they cannot have on their device.

;)

Posted via the Android Central App