Awaiting feedback on VZW "up to $300 deal"

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I am considering a turbo 2 and would have to buy it outright to keep my unlimited data. My rooted OG MotoX is getting boring and I'm having new device envy. Here's what I found on VZW website for this deal...Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 11.04.37 PM.png

Your milage may vary

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but I still see the option to buy phones on a 2 year contract, which is significantly reduced from the full purchase price.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but I still see the option to buy phones on a 2 year contract, which is significantly reduced from the full purchase price.

Anybody currently on a contract will get one more chance to upgrade on a two year contract from Verizon. Everyone else, you won't see that as an option - it's either buy outright or on edge.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have multiple lines (5) with some currently eligible for upgrade and others showing upgrade dates into 2016. Does that mean I have to take advantage of the upgrade before my last line goes off contract?

kadmanMusic

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Went to the store yesterday and a my moto X2 with a decently cracked screen from a corner drop on concrete would get $200.00.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Went to the store yesterday and a my moto X2 with a decently cracked screen from a corner drop on concrete would get $200.00.

For the turbo 2 trade in promotion, Any phone should get at least 200,regardless of cracked screen. Even a $10 prepaid one.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have multiple lines (5) with some currently eligible for upgrade and others showing upgrade dates into 2016. Does that mean I have to take advantage of the upgrade before my last line goes off contract?
If you are on a plan with subsidized phone option then that option will always be there regardless of whether or not your lines are on contract

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
This is good to know. I have the same phone sitting around that my son has been using. I'm gonig to add a new line, trade in his S3 mini and for the Turbo 2. I'll then port his number over to my original Droid Turbo.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I added a line. I used the edge program. I added a line but put my primary number sim in the new phone. I do this and then later payoff the phone and shut down the line.

Do you have udp? I wanted to add a line for a gear s and they said I had to give up udp. I bought a gear 2.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Sorry, I was wrong earlier. You are not limited to one more subsidized upgrade. At least for now, so long as you keep your existing plan, you can upgrade at subsidized prices for a two year contract until you change to one of the new data plans (which I did - saved a lot of money that way) or Verizon changes their mind.

See Verizon confirms that existing contract customers can still get phone upgrades | The Verge

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you have udp? I wanted to add a line for a gear s and they said I had to give up udp. I bought a gear 2.

You can't activate a non phone on the nationwide plan which is what most people with unlimited data have. There are loopholes if it is a 4GLTE device like a tablet, jetpack, broadband router, modem, etc.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I was wrong earlier. You are not limited to one more subsidized upgrade. At least for now, so long as you keep your existing plan, you can upgrade at subsidized prices for a two year contract until you change to one of the new data plans (which I did - saved a lot of money that way) or Verizon changes their mind.

See Verizon confirms that existing contract customers can still get phone upgrades | The Verge
Weeeeeellllllll, being that I have 2 phones on unlimited plans, I'll be keeping those.

Last edited:

live311

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Unless you upgrade your phone sooner than every 2 years, the device payment plans simply do not make economic sense, even with the $300 trade-in. I'd rather pay a subsidized price up front in exchange for a 2 year contract. I've been with Verizon for 9 years and I'm not going anywhere.

They offered me $200 for my DNA with a device payment plan or $30 for a subsidized contract plan. I could pay $440 over 2 years, or $210 up front. Unless they sweeten the deal with a discount on more data on the former, I know which plan I'm choosing.

I apologize in advance for starting an argument about the economics of device payment plans. I'm sure there's already a thread for that O:) :p :-$

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mod Note :let's keep things on topic about the t2 up to $300 trade in promotion . Please do not discuss about promotions on other devices here as it would confuse people.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Unless you upgrade your phone sooner than every 2 years, the device payment plans simply do not make economic sense, even with the $300 trade-in. I'd rather pay a subsidized price up front in exchange for a 2 year contract. I've been with Verizon for 9 years and I'm not going anywhere.

Not really - it really depends how much data you use a month.

They charge you up-front $199 for a $624 phone, but then the monthly price of service for the next 24 months includes $20/month for the rest of the phone - that $480, so you'll spend $679 over two years. The device payment plans include no interest or fees - it's $26/month for two years ($624 if you do the math.)

So, with the $200 trade in on existing line, that's $424 you'll pay rather than $649 with the $30 trade in. So, unless over two years you'd save $220 on service, you probably are paying more staying on contract.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I think the issue is, at least for me, and what I found out, is that if you are an existing customer with udp , not on a Contract, you are not eligible technically for an upgrade unless you want to now commit to a two-year contract at your current data plan price. And most of us that price is going up $20 per month. Nor are they giving me $300. The online trade in for my T1 is $127

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
They charge you up-front $199 for a $624 phone, but then the monthly price of service for the next 24 months includes $20/month for the rest of the phone - that $480, so you'll spend $679 over two years.

Are you sure you are not confusing that would be $20 line fee on their new data plans?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Awaiting feedback on VZW "up to $300 deal"

As I understand it those of us on udp are eligible for none of this without changing plans unless you have gamed the system through Best Buy and are currently on a 2 year contract.

I recently extended my udp contract for one year to get 100 extra min a month for free but my understanding is that one year plan extension entitles me to nothing, nada.

If I am somehow entitled to the 300 dollar trade in "bonus" or any other money savings offer would some kind soul please explain it to me? If considered off topic I would be delighted to receive a pm. If this new post by vzw means I am able to get 300 dollars off for some crappy old pho e that would be on topic but it would be a reversal of everything previously said here.

In a way pronouncements from VZW on high in blogs or elsewhere are irrelevant. VZW reps can only give offers that are in the computer profile of each user. If the offer is not there King Verizon Lord of Mobile Phones himself couldn't get the offer to run in the system.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon order process online is nothing but pure frustration. I start the Turbo 2 order process and choose the "Designed by you" option. Then I did an appraisal on my old device, which is not the $300 trade in option. After figuring out that VZW was only going to give me $11 for my Droid Razr Maxx, I cancelled that and found out that I had to go through the Turbo2 design process all over again. I did that and added it to my cart. Then I had to select which line to upgrade; and after going through that I had to AGAIN go through the Turbo2 design process. What a PITA.

And now I've been staring at this for about a half hour... Guess I get to start the order process all over again:

VZW order.png

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae