Awaiting feedback on VZW "up to $300 deal"

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That's why I did mine subsidised. By avoiding that $20/month over the two year contract, it's actually over $100 cheaper to upgrade than not.
If my Note 3 sim fit a note 5 I would too. The need to go to a VAR and hope they give me a properly set up nano sim is a bridge too far for me.

wylde06

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone just bought a cheap phone on ebay/amazon and used that on this deal? Going to be switching from my 2.5 year old iphone 5, but don't want to get rid of it..my car doesn't do blue tooth audio, and it only works with my iphone for the radio..no aux port just usb. Dont want to give up the easy access to my music library when driving.

jmanches42

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone just bought a cheap phone on ebay/amazon and used that on this deal? Going to be switching from my 2.5 year old iphone 5, but don't want to get rid of it..my car doesn't do blue tooth audio, and it only works with my iphone for the radio..no aux port just usb. Dont want to give up the easy access to my music library when driving.

I went to the store and they told me any smart phone that turns on. They would have taken a 6 year old blackberry touch. I just need to wait until the 15th so I can keep my unlimited plan and use the promo.

Posted via the Android Central App

wylde06

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Went and bought a $20 prepaid phone, going to go in tomorrow and see if they will give me the $200 without actually activating the phone.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I went to the store and they told me any smart phone that turns on. They would have taken a 6 year old blackberry touch. I just need to wait until the 15th so I can keep my unlimited plan and use the promo.

Can you explain what to do after the 15th? I have 2 udp lines on month to month.

jmanches42

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Can you explain what to do after the 15th? I have 2 udp lines on month to month.

Supposedly on the 15th (after the price increase), you will be able to use their payment plan which will allow us UDP people to get their promos. You can also just pay off the phone right after you finance it if you don't want to take 2 years to pay for it, personally I think paying on a phone for 2 years is craziness.

rick1042

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
mailed my og droid to them last friday for my $200 credit. already received an email from them this morning that it has passed inspection and i will be getting my credit applied in one or two billing cycles. so the inspection/approval process does not take long.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
already received an email from them this morning that it has passed inspection and i will be getting my credit applied in one or two billing cycles. so the inspection/approval process does not take long.

If your experience is anything like mine last month, you'll get the credit almost immediately. It was much faster than one or two billing cycles.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
anybody have any idea what is the cheapest phone you can still get the $300 with?

This maybe? TracFone LG Prepaid Lucky LG16 Smartphone - Walmart.com

I looked around a little and that seemed to be about the cheapest price. As far as I could tell, the Sunrise or the Lucky should qualify. One of the stores I was at said they would accept a Tracfone but I did not try.

I actually got a quote for an old DoidX. I hope the battery is still working by the time it gets to them!

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
There is a bit of misinformation in this thread. There are in fact still subsidized plans however this does not come into play on this offer. You can get $300 credit by trading in practically any working smart phone however you MUST choose the financed option. Its simply retail price divided by 24 months with zero interest. Once you get the $300 gift card (new to Verizon) or account credit (current customer) you can simply pay the remaining 0% interest payments off. Of course if you are sticking with Verizon I don't know why one would pay off a 0% loan but hey that's up to you. In the last couple of weeks I have done this with LG G4 (which also has $100 instant rebate via Verizon and $200 mail in rebate from LG that took about 2 weeks), an Iphone 6s + and most recently with the Moto Droid Turbo 2. The phones I used for the rebate include (2) Kyocera Hydro phones (which are really, really old technology that I bought a year ago refurb for $15 each). Understand this is not the "any phone including cracked screen" that applies to just the Droid Turbo 2 but any phone sold by Verizon. The Droid offer from Verizon simply adds the cracked screen option to the offer that applies to all Verizon phones right now. Note under the Droid deal the trade in must be in "good working condition (cracked screens welcome). It must still charge and boot up to some degree.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I spent about 2 hours in the store ordering this phone and had managers on the phone guaranteed the $300 credit for a new line on my existing account. I traded in my son's S3 mini. Only part that was sketchy was they could not tell me if it was going to be a gift card or account credit. I wouldn't do deal if it wasn't going to be a gift card. I needed the card so I could use the $300 towards device payments. They called someone who guaranteed it. I got my code in email and ordered online at Motorola. 11/11/2015 delivery date.

You were fine either way. Gift card is a Verizon only gift card so you have to use it at Verizon. The account credit can be applied to the phone balance as easily as the gift card. BTW, until a change that was made last night you would not have been happy with the result of having the gift card. The Verizon system would NOT allow people to split payments, thus if the phone balance was greater than the $300 gift card then you could not use the gift card to pay the balance! Realizing this was pretty stupid, Verizon advised yesterday that they were making the payment system changes last night and it should be rolling today.

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just worked through this at a Verizon store today (corporate store - not a licensed retailer). Lots of sales people with only partial information. After some frustration, and finally talking to the store manager, I wound up working with one who actually knew how this deal worked.

Seems that super cheap pre-paid phones were working as recently as 24 hours ago, but as of today, the Verizon system was apparently being tweaked to reject a number of them, such as NET10 phones. We had them look up my son's iPhone 4 -- and they offered us $11 for it in trade -- even though it was immaculate and worked perfectly. We went to Walmart and picked up a couple of Verizon pre-paid phones at $40 a piece, and a couple of ZTE prepaid phones for AT&T - also $40, and Verizon's system accepted them as trade-ins to qualify us for the full $300 credit. So it cost a bit, but the net was the we got $1200 credit in exchange for spending $160.

The deal requires either porting-in from another carrier, or adding a new line to your existing plan. I had four lines -- and we added four lines to get four new phones with $300 credits each -- an iPhone 6 and three Turbo 2's. There's no contract required - just an agreement to pay off the remainder of the phone cost over 24 months. You can immediately have the new phones reassigned to your old pre-existing phone numbers. The only other stipulation to avoid penalties is that you must keep the new lines for 30 days before you can cancel them. So yes - you'll pay the line charge for the extra lines, but only for one month.

Bottom line: as an existing customer, I spent $160 on four pre-paid phones to use as trade-ins, and will have to pay for four lines for one month at $20 per month. Total outlay $240, to get $1200 in credit, net = $1060 credit toward the purchase cost of four new phones.

I didn't opt for the LG G4 -- but you should know that through tomorrow, 11/15, LG is offering a $200 incentive to purchase an LG G4 on Verizon. Verizon's full charge for that phone is $552. If you do the pre-paid trade-in as I did, and pay for a new line for one month, you'll wind up with $440 in credits and rebates toward a $552 phone, effectively getting a new LG G4 for $112. Again - the G4 option expires after 11/15. The $300 rebate deal for a trade-in continues for a while.

Once you've done the deal, you can pay off the remainder owed on the phones over 2 years - or pay them off in a lump sum, keeping the newly added lines for only 30 days.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
anybody have any idea what is the cheapest phone you can still get the $300 with?

This maybe? TracFone LG Prepaid Lucky LG16 Smartphone - Walmart.com

I got the $300 credit on this one from Best Buy last night (Friday, November 13, 2015):

TRACFONE - Alcatel Onetouch Pixi GLITZ No-Contract Cell Phone - Black

Seems that super cheap pre-paid phones were working as recently as 24 hours ago, but as of today, the Verizon system was apparently being tweaked to reject a number of them, such as NET10 phones.

Looks like I was lucky then; see my comment above. :)

The only other stipulation to avoid penalties is that you must keep the new lines for 30 days before you can cancel them. So yes - you'll pay the line charge for the extra lines, but only for one month.

<snip>

Once you've done the deal, you can pay off the remainder owed on the phones over 2 years - or pay them off in a lump sum, keeping the newly added lines for only 30 days.

I didn't know that you have to keep the line open for 30 days. I opened 2 new lines, and I'm planning to pay the phone off and close them as soon as the credits come through. I wonder if they can be suspended.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
So on the DPP you think an old droid x will get $300?

I don't know. I don't believe the phone is the determing factor. Instead, I think it is whether you are a new customer or adding a new line, but I could be wrong. My quote was for $200, but I am an existing customer on a business plan.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams