Where can you buy the protective lens?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Motorola makes note that the protective lens isn't covered under the shatter shield guarantee. I did a quick Google search but couldn't find where this consumer replaceable protective lens can be bought?

uploadfromtaptalk1446225679649.jpg

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I didn't see any place that had it for sale either, but I gather from the blurb you posted that the protective lens is already on the phone's camera, and is consumer replaceable if it breaks. I may ask about that on the Verizon website. I ordered a 64GB Turbo2 yesterday, and it will get here next Friday.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't see any place that had it for sale either, but I gather from the blurb you posted that the protective lens is already on the phone's camera, and is consumer replaceable if it breaks. I may ask about that on the Verizon website. I ordered a 64GB Turbo2 yesterday, and it will get here next Friday.

I believe it to be part of the display.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I thought when they said lens they meant on the camera. You may be correct about it being on the display, but I don't see how a display that is deemed one-piece for its shatterproof qualities can have something on it that is separately not covered by the same warranty.

cbironman24

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I read a few places that it was replaceable by the consumer but the product page really doesn't say anything about that.
I would think they would sell it on the moto website but I don't see it.

I would love to see how it is replaceable and how much it i$

Moto Shattershield

*The display and embedded lens are warranted against shattering and cracking for four (4) years from the original date of purchase; scratches or other damage to the protective lens is not covered by this warranty, but should always be in place to prevent scratches and other damage to the underlying components. This phone is not shockproof or designed to withstand all damage from dropping. All other warranty exclusions, including scratches and other cosmetic damage, intentional damage or abuse, normal wear and tear and other limitations apply.

** Additional warranty coverage for those Products that contain the Moto ShatterShield™ Display System: The Moto ShatterShield™ display system is made up of 3 separate components; the display, embedded lens and a protective lens. The display and embedded lens are warranted against shattering and cracking for four (4) years from the original date of purchase. The protective lens is not covered by this Limited Warranty, but should always remain in place to prevent scratches and other damage to the underlying components. All other limitations and exclusions contained in this Limited Warranty (see What is Not Covered section below), including scratches and other cosmetic damage, intentional damage or abuse, and normal wear and tear apply to the components of the Moto ShatterShield™ display system.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
On the motorola forums page one of the representative said that they will be available through the motorola website and also in some of the outlet stores which I'm guessing will be the Verizon stores. He did not say how soon they will be out but did say that we will be able to replace them.

Moto Droid Turbo 2

cbironman24

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
On the motorola forums page one of the representative said that they will be available through the motorola website and also in some of the outlet stores which I'm guessing will be the Verizon stores. He did not say how soon they will be out but did say that we will be able to replace them.

Moto Droid Turbo 2

That's funny, I just read that over there and was coming here to update this thread.
You would think they would have had this part all finalized when the phone was launched.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Moto Droid Turbo 2
I contacted Motorola and they didn't know anything about it and told me to contact Verizon. Glad that someone at Motorola actually knows something

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I think the replaceable lens is comparable to a tempered glass screen protector. They put the capacitive touch function in another layer, so there's no wiring to worry about. So breaking the glass doesn't break the display. The design combines good aspects of rigidity and flexibility so that the likeihood of cracked glass is less, but even if you do manage to break the glass lens, the phone should still work since the capacitive layer is separate, and then you just replace it like a screen protector.

That's my theory based on what they've said so far anyway.

shattershield_layers.jpg

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the replaceable lens is comparable to a tempered glass screen protector. They put the capacitive touch function in another layer, so there's no wiring to worry about. So breaking the glass doesn't break the display. The design combines good aspects of rigidity and flexibility so that the likeihood of cracked glass is less, but even if you do manage to break the glass lens, the phone should still work since the capacitive layer is separate, and then you just replace it like a screen protector.

That's my theory based on what they've said so far anyway.

View attachment 203947
The protective lens isn't glass. It won't crack. But it can scratch. It is similar to a plastic screen protector

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
movefla19