Is it worth it to go with the 64GB (and refresh)?

Trooper29

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
With the ability to add a SD card is it worth paying the extra 70? I'm not a gamer, but take lots of pictures and I back them up with cloud. Only positive is the ablity to get another color within a year.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is it worth going to the 64 GB

With the ability to add a SD card is it worth paying the extra 70? I'm not a gamer, but take lots of pictures and I back them up with cloud. Only positive is the ablity to get another color within a year.

What do you do with your old phones?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

With 32GB SD cards around $12 and 64GB SD cards available for around $20, I'd say no, it's not worth paying the extra $70 to get another 32GB storage. Only you can decide if the $70 is worth it to change the color down the road. Personally, it wouldn't be for me.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

With the 64gb model, you do get one free refresh if that has value to a particular person.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Are SD cards less susceptible to corruption these days? It used to be that you couldn't count on them, and that the regular hard/flash on board memory was safer in the long run.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

Not saying there will be any issues with these phones, but I have bad memories of having to go into settings to remount the SD card every time my HTC phone restarted. I like having all of the internal memory I need!

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site

I like having the extra internal memory. Seems like apps are getting bigger every update.

Posted via the Android Central App

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

I agree with getting the 64GB as I did with the Turbo1. SD cards are notoriously unreliable along with the fact the internal memory is much more reliable and faster than SD. I'm one of those that is happy they are getting away from SD cards in favor of bigger internal storage.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I agree with getting the 64GB as I did with the Turbo1. SD cards are notoriously unreliable along with the fact the internal memory is much more reliable and faster than SD. I'm one of those that is happy they are getting away from SD cards in favor of bigger internal storage.

I must be lucky, I've never had an issue with any SD card on any of my phone's or my other three family member's phones.

sbrashear

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site

With 32GB SD cards around $12 and 64GB SD cards available for around $20, I'd say no, it's not worth paying the extra $70 to get another 32GB storage. Only you can decide if the $70 is worth it to change the color down the road. Personally, it wouldn't be for me.

It might also be worth noting that inexpensive SD cards tend to have slower read and write, which probably makes it significantly slower than on board memory.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

It might also be worth noting that inexpensive SD cards tend to have slower read and write, which probably makes it significantly slower than on board memory.
So what's the speed difference between, say, a class 4 card and a class 10 card? I doubt there is a humanly discernable difference in real world use.

ST_Jim

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

What do you do with your old phones?

With the refresh, you make a $499 deposit, they send you a "like new" phone is you configuration, you send them back your old phone, and they refund your deposit. I'm personally not that thrilled with the idea of reconditioned phones, so I would pass unless mine looked seriously ratty.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

With the refresh, you make a $499 deposit, they send you a "like new" phone is you configuration, you send them back your old phone, and they refund your deposit. I'm personally not that thrilled with the idea of reconditioned phones, so I would pass unless mine looked seriously ratty.

I was asking the OP what they did with their old phones.

Resell?
Keep?

If I resold my old phones, I would go for the 64GB with refresh.

Posted via the Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

"Worth it" is always up to the person opening their wallet. For some yes, for others no.

sbrashear

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site

So what's the speed difference between, say, a class 4 card and a class 10 card? I doubt there is a humanly discernable difference in real world use.

And between those and the on board memory speed.

The difference between the Class 4 and the Class 10 is considerable, especially when it comes to write speeds, and will be considerably (and noticeably) slower than onboard memory. If it were possible to run the phone off the SD card, I'm sure you would notice a considerable slow down in performance. Read speeds also tend to be a slower but there is not as much as difference as the write speeds. One practical example might be if the onboard memory is almost full, you may not be able to shoot 4K video more than a few seconds at time. There may be some users who don't see any sort of slow down.

Almost as important as the speed of the media is the throughput speed of the bus. So, it may not matter if the card speed if the bus is slow. An analogy: Think of hooking up a SSD to an external drive enclosure with USB 2.0. While the SSD is lightning fast, the USB connection will make the speed of the SSD, practically worthless. The same is true for the bus on phones. In most cases, the onboard memory will have a faster bus speed than any bus for external memory.

Lastly, I think any device, in which the on board memory is almost full, may slow down considerably.

I think that the performance of onboard memory will almost always be noticeably and considerably faster than external memory and probably higher quality memory as well, which, somewhat justifiably or unjustifiably, accounts for the price differences. I wouldn't ever use external memory to replace onboard memory, only to supplement it.

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site

moto's like new is hardly that...my wifes T1 headphone plug went out right after we got it, sent it in for a replacement and they sent back one that had been visibly dropped. it worked, but the case was dinged up. Its amazing how rough people on phones...lets see if they are still as rough after having to pay full price for them

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

There's a HUGE difference, especially if you have a large card with a ton of files. You are crippling your experience by going with a cheap card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital