06-23-2016 03:27 PM
52 123
tools
    If you don't want the front logo, then you can simply remove the factory installed screen protector (Motorola calls it the consumer replaceable protective lens). As Motorola calls it "consumer replaceable", it shouldn't impact warranty, so long as you use an equivalent screen protector.

Remove the factory installed screen protector (protective lens) to remove the front logo-uploadfromtaptalk1446261573988.jpg
    Ry, elvee68 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-30-2015 11:21 PM
    So I wonder if I remove that logo/screen protector and do not put another screen protector on, would it still be shatterproof?

Posted via the Android Central App
    Many aspects of the shatterproof design would still be functional, but you'd be risking scratches on the inner lens that isn't made to be easily replaced. Seems foolish. I'm guessing the logo is on either the backside of the outer lens or on the inner lens. Good chance it could be rubbed/scratched off with the outer lens removed. I'm sure someone will try it in time.

Remove the factory installed screen protector (protective lens) to remove the front logo-shattershield_layers.jpg
    10-31-2015 12:48 PM
    The logo is on the back side of the screen protector. It's likely it'll be possible to buy logo-less protectors. Might be possible to scratch it off the protector, too.

Ditching the Droid Turbo 2’s Verizon logo is surprisingly easy | Pocketnow

10-31-2015 01:01 PM
    From the pocketnow article, it seems to be the same thickness as a standard 3M style screen protector. So if you want the logo gone, I'd just buy the 3-pack of screen protectors from VZW and use those.
    elvee68 likes this.
    10-31-2015 01:10 PM
    I'd be interested in a logo-less tempered glass replacement.
    elvee68 likes this.
    10-31-2015 01:32 PM
    I'd be interested in a logo-less tempered glass replacement.
    Verizon sells one.
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
    10-31-2015 02:13 PM
    The on I see on their website shows the logo, is it really with no logo?
    10-31-2015 09:32 PM
    The on I see on their website shows the logo, is it really with no logo?
    There is a logo on the factory installed screen protector. You can easily replace it with a screen protector without a logo
    Sniper1087 likes this.
    11-01-2015 01:04 AM
    I don't care if there is a logo on the phone. I think it's funny that THIS is what people are complaining about. The phone seems to have a fantastic camera, and I don't need to reiterate the specs. I guess some people will just never be happy.

This. Some go nuts over a logo.
    Ry and lgGslateuser like this.
    11-01-2015 08:02 AM
    I don't care if there is a logo on the phone. I think it's funny that THIS is what people are complaining about. The phone seems to have a fantastic camera, and I don't need to reiterate the specs. I guess some people will just never be happy.

I don't mind the logo much, I care mostly on the material on the protector, because I heard it scratches fairly easy, I was thinking on putting like a tempered glass instead, but I am not sure anymore.
    elvee68 likes this.
    11-01-2015 09:40 AM
    I've always refused to use a screen protector. I feel they take away from the screen in a big way.

Any other people our there that share the same sentiments that are happy with the factory protector?
    11-01-2015 11:27 AM
    This. Some go nuts over a logo.
    I never got the angst over a logo either. You buy a Verizon exclusive Droid phone that everyone knows is on Verizon and people are surprised there is a Verizon logo on it.
    Ry and tsparks1 like this.
    11-01-2015 12:18 PM
    I don't mind the logo much, I care mostly on the material on the protector, because I heard it scratches fairly easy, I was thinking on putting like a tempered glass instead, but I am not sure anymore.
    This is what I will do.

11-01-2015 12:23 PM
    I've always refused to use a screen protector. I feel they take away from the screen in a big way.

Any other people our there that share the same sentiments that are happy with the factory protector?
    High quality crystal clear screen protectors don't have any real impact at all in my opinion. Some that emphasize Anti-glare for instance to cause. Grainy or cloudy look to the screen.
    elvee68 likes this.
    11-01-2015 01:14 PM
    Anyone know of the screen is still shatterproof after removing the logo?

Depends on if you replace it with a similar plastic protector, or with one made of another material that can shatter.
    11-02-2015 12:06 AM
    Yeah but do you know that for sure? I'm wondering if that first layer isn't simply a screen protector in the first place. I don't have my T2 yet, so I can't tell. Not that I mind the logo being there. Just am wondering.
    Here's a video where they take a hand sledge to the phone. It breaks, but the screen never shatters.

The huge red text is obnoxious, by the way.
    cbironman24 likes this.
    11-02-2015 01:54 PM
    Fwiw the replacement factory screen is now available on Motorola for 29.95.
    Ry likes this.
    11-02-2015 03:43 PM
    Sticky for now.
    11-02-2015 06:10 PM
    How easy is it to remove?
    11-05-2015 02:32 PM
    It should be noted that Matt over on motorola support forums states that using the phone without the shattershield lens voids the warranty:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/6ec695482f

Consider yourselves warned...

I vote this post be removed as a sticky...
    11-05-2015 03:38 PM
    It should be noted that Matt over on motorola support forums states that using the phone without the shattershield lens voids the warranty:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/6ec695482f

Consider yourselves warned...

I vote this post be removed as a sticky...

The warranty including the terms of the shatter shield guarantee can be found here:
    https://motorola-global-portal.custh...018077001A.pdf

I have thoroughly read it and could not find the "tie-in sales" provision (read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act for details), requiring the use of ONLY the Motorola protective lens to maintain warranty. Of course, if you damage the interior lens when removing the consumer replaceable protective lens or do not replace it with a comparable protective lens, then that wouldn't be covered. However, removing the lens AND replacing it with a comparable non-Motorola protective lens DOES NOT void warranty. In fact, even if you just removed the protective lens but didn't put anything back, should the power button stop functioning, then Motorola would still be legally required to repair the power button under warranty. This is like if you replace the oil filter in your car with a quality filter not from the manufacturer...the manufacturer would still be legally obligated to provide warranty service on your car.
    dmark44 likes this.
    11-05-2015 05:07 PM
    The warranty including the terms of the shatter shield guarantee can be found here:
    https://motorola-global-portal.custh...018077001A.pdf

I have thoroughly read it and could not find the "tie-in sales" provision (read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act for details), requiring the use of ONLY the Motorola protective lens to maintain warranty. Of course, if you damage the interior lens when removing the consumer replaceable protective lens or do not replace it with a comparable protective lens, then that wouldn't be covered. However, removing the lens AND replacing it with a comparable non-Motorola protective lens DOES NOT void warranty. In fact, even if you just removed the protective lens but didn't put anything back, should the power button stop functioning, then Motorola would still be legally required to repair the power button under warranty. This is like if you replace the oil filter in your car with a quality filter not from the manufacturer...the manufacturer would still be legally obligated to provide warranty service on your car.
    Yeah, the only way this would have any effect on the warranty is if damage to the phone was caused by the non-OEM part. For example, if you put a tempered glass screen protector on in place of the OEM one, drop the phone, and the tempered glass breaks and damages the lens behind it, it's likely that won't be covered by the warranty. But if the touch-responsiveness stops working, that's on another layer that the screen protector isn't in contact with, and so shouldn't have been affected by the protector, and should still be covered by the warranty. Legally they would need to prove that the non-OEM part caused or contributed to the damage to get out of warranty coverage. Of course, they can still argue about it, and I'd still try to swap back to an OEM protector before returning the phone for warranty repair/replacement, just to avoid an argument, because it's easier than going to court over a smartphone repair.

This is the same thing that protects car owners who modify their vehicles. If you put a performance intake on the car, they can't claim the warranty is void to get out of fixing a broken heated seat, which clearly has nothing to do with the intake. However, if a piece comes off your aftermarket intake, goes into the engine, and screws something up... that's on you.
    dpham00 likes this.
    11-05-2015 07:44 PM
    A quick read of that warranty, under what is not covered, says any damage that occurred when protective elements are damaged or missing. It also curiously says that it's not covered if the phone is dropped.

Here's my thinking, though: Motorola is going to be very liberal about this. They're not going to nit pick the warranty agreement if the display breaks whether you have the lens on or not, though I'm going to bet that 99% of the people will keep it on. It's only the very few who will even know about this.
    11-06-2015 07:52 AM
    A quick read of that warranty, under what is not covered, says any damage that occurred when protective elements are damaged or missing. It also curiously says that it's not covered if the phone is dropped.

Here's my thinking, though: Motorola is going to be very liberal about this. They're not going to nit pick the warranty agreement if the display breaks whether you have the lens on or not, though I'm going to bet that 99% of the people will keep it on. It's only the very few who will even know about this.
    Ok, you guys do whatever you want, but a representative of Motorola stated your warranty is void if you use the phone without the shattershield in place. You can voice your opinion any way you want to, but you have two official sources saying the warranty is void without it in place. Why defeat part of the great design work that Motorola did to make a "shatterproof" display over a stupid logo that barely stands out in the first place?
    11-06-2015 08:54 AM

That isn't my take but I could have missed something. Please provide the exact clause from the Motorola warranty that you are referring to
    11-06-2015 12:49 PM
52 123