Better Grip - Soft Touch or Ballastic Nylon

brandzimm09

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I've read every forum post I can find and still can't decided what back has the better grip, soft touch or Ballastic nylon. I'm ordering mine tomorrow. Pressure is on.
Note: I do not want a case or leather back.

Last edited:

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Turbo in the Verizon store with the black soft touch grip. I believe that it has more gripping power than the ballistic nylon grip on my Turbo 1. However, I still got the Verizon Shell/Holster combo case for the phone, as I like the holster feature (which I use all of the time) and the kickstand. Plus, the Verizon brand is very thin, compared to a similar Otterbox combo, so it fits in my hand well.

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I've read every forum post I can find and still can't decided what back has the better grip, soft touch or Ballastic nylon. I'm ordering mine tomorrow. Pressure is on.

The back really does not contribute to the grip. I got the soft touch and like the feel, but the aluminum band around the edge makes this phone hard to grip.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Look at the Turbo threads. After the initial 'wow', looks cool, feels great, there are too many that didn't like it for one reason or another - feel, or fraying or something. If there's any concern I'd stick with the conventional soft touch.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the edges are what makes the phone slippery this time around.

I wanted to go naked w it, but i ended up getting something to add grip

Moto Droid Turbo 2

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Look at the Turbo threads. After the initial 'wow', looks cool, feels great, there are too many that didn't like it for one reason or another - feel, or fraying or something. If there's any concern I'd stick with the conventional soft touch.

I've had the original Turbo since November with the ballistic back and have had no fraying. It also provides good grip IMO.

On a side note, quality ballistic nylon will last a long time. I've worn a ballistic duty belt everyday for the past 6 years as a Correction Officer and it still looks like new.

Posted via the Android Central App

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I went with the Ballistic Nylon. I saw a hands on video where the person said the soft touch supposedly being made of silicone, was not as grippy as thought.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Nylon is like a hot stick of butter. I can barely hold it. The soft rubber sticks to your hand better. Leather probably even better, but never held one of those.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Both options on the original Turbo were horrible as far as grip goes so I went with the soft touch. Mine will be here monday, but I played with my mom's and it does seem improved over the BN or MGF from last year. One of the things that I thought was annoying with the original Turbo was that sitting flat on a desk it was so slippery that it would spin around if I tried to swype on it. The T2 has a flatter back and thus has more contact with surfaces making it less slippery and I think the rubber helps with this as well. Although, I think the old CF backs of the Maxx were still better for grip.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Nylon is like a hot stick of butter. I can barely hold it. The soft rubber sticks to your hand better. Leather probably even better, but never held one of those.

I was at Verizon and handled the soft rubber and the leather models. The leather was more slippery than the rubber, BUT the leather was brand new, not "broken in".

jasperjuice

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I was going to get nylon but it felt too slick. If it was on a smooth hard surface it seemed to me it could slide off. Got black soft touch. One thing I don't like is in between the little diamond pattern on the soft touch, dirt or debris from pocket get stuck in creases in back of phone. Minor problem but il take that since the phone grabs on to smooth hard surfaces better.
I know the screen is shatter proof and if it slid off a table I would be OK. But I don't want the sides or edges getting dented or busted up from unnecessary falls.

Posted via the Android Central App

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I have been following the "slippery phone?" threads, and until today I didn't notice why none of them seemed to bother me. I hold my phone in my left hand, and until this morning I didn't notice that I hold it with my thumb on the left side, and the first three fingers of my right hand on the right side. My pinky finger goes to the bottom of the phone, and the phone rests on it. That's why I've never had a problem with slippery phones, and it's also why I've never dropped it. I was doing it instinctively.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I went with a stock vz color, the gray nylon. Yeah probably the soft touch offers more grip but the nylon looks better imo, so I went with looks. The grey nylon and accents just exudes a subtle elegance.

IMG_20151101_010100_zps6ryh0ea2.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463