Is the Droid Turbo 2 the Best Android...Ever?

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
When you hear what most people want in a phone:

Removable or long lasting battery
Expandable storage
Excellent camera
Durable (in this case extremely).
Not a phablet
Near stock android

This device seems to check all the boxes that most look for/complain about when a device comes out and always seems to be missing something. Every device is always missing that one feature...

Unfortunately being loved down to Verizon is a downfall. But I'm scheming the ways to make it work!

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Remember if you don't have Verizon this phone is unlocked, and might work with the other carriers, or the second option is to wait for the moto force which is supposed to be the same internationally but might be the same case with LTE bands.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Remember if you don't have Verizon this phone is unlocked, and might work with the other carriers, or the second option is to wait for the moto force which is supposed to be the same internationally but might be the same case with LTE bands.

That's why I have one on order from Motorola. Going to test my straight talk sim and Fi network sim..

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, there is no "perfect" phone, but this one is awfully nice, and close, for sure. I traded in my Turbo 1 for it, and have not regretted it. The battery is not quite as large as in the T1, but I am hoping that after a break-in period, it offers the same life as in the T1. Every other part of it is a very nice improvement.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I THINK THE BATTERY DIFFERENCE IS LIKE -140mAh LOWER THAN THE T1?? DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT'LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE? I THOUGHT THE OCTA-CORE WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE A BETTER BATTERY MANAGEMENT?

Smaller battery, bigger screen, but more efficient processor. I'm not sure how those all balance out, but it better have at least the same battery length as the T1

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
When you hear what most people want in a phone:

Removable or long lasting battery
Expandable storage
Excellent camera
Durable (in this case extremely).
Not a phablet
Near stock android

This device seems to check all the boxes that most look for/complain about when a device comes out and always seems to be missing something. Every device is always missing that one feature...

Unfortunately being loved down to Verizon is a downfall. But I'm scheming the ways to make it work!
I would say it is a phablet. It is wider and thicker than the note 5, despite having a smaller screen. Even the turbo 2 screen is larger than the og note, which most would consider to be a phablet.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I would say it is a phablet. It is wider and thicker than the note 5, despite having a smaller screen. Even the turbo 2 screen is larger than the og note, which most would consider to be a phablet.

It's the same height as the Nexus 5x, slightly wider for shattershield protection, and fits a .2" larger display in. I wouldn't classify it as a phablet.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
it's at least right on the edge of "phablet" territory IMO.

If the Turbo2 had a fingerprint sensor, I would've bought one launch day. As it is, I'm still wrestling between it, the Nexus 6P, or waiting. It's very tempting, and among the best, but not perfect.

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
the N6 and the turbo 2 have almost the same specs, I think the only exception is the finger print scanner

it's at least right on the edge of "phablet" territory IMO.

If the Turbo2 had a fingerprint sensor, I would've bought one launch day. As it is, I'm still wrestling between it, the Nexus 6P, or waiting. It's very tempting, and among the best, but not perfect.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It's the same height as the Nexus 5x, slightly wider for shattershield protection, and fits a .2" larger display in. I wouldn't classify it as a phablet.

It's not the same height - it's a tenth of an inch longer than a Nexus 5x, two tenths wider, and two mm thicker. The width over 3" to me defines it as a phablet.

Honestly, anything bigger than the Samsung s6 or the iPhone 6s is a phablet to me. Even the 5x is on the edge of being a phablet.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
It's not the same height - it's a tenth of an inch longer than a Nexus 5x, two tenths wider, and two mm thicker. The width over 3" to me defines it as a phablet.

Honestly, anything bigger than the Samsung s6 or the iPhone 6s is a phablet to me. Even the 5x is on the edge of being a phablet.

I don't know what's up with the dimensions online but I put my 5x up against it and they're nearly identical in height.

With the average size of smartphone growing steadily, I wouldn't classify it as a phablet. It's on the smaller side of average offerings.

Also, with the durability of it it's probably the best device to go caseless on which is my plan. When compared to my Nexus 5x in a case, the width is almost identical, the turbo is thinner and shorter.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what's up with the dimensions online but I put my 5x up against it and they're nearly identical in height.

These guys have the proper dimensions: Visual Phone Size Comparison

The 5x is more Turbo size than Turbo 2 size.

With the average size of smartphone growing steadily, I wouldn't classify it as a phablet. It's on the smaller side of average offerings.

Again, I have my own definition. Just because phones are getting bigger, that doesn't change what a phablet is to me. Of course it has more to do with physical size, but to me a good rule of thumb is that anything greater than 5.2" display is a phablet, and, with those bezels, the Turbo 2 is also even bigger (though thinner) than the Maxx 2 despite a smaller display.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
These guys have the proper dimensions: Visual Phone Size Comparison

Again, I have my own definition. Just because phones are getting bigger, that doesn't change what a phablet is to me. Of course it has more to do with physical size, but to me a good rule of thumb is that anything greater than 5.2" display is a phablet, and, with those bezels, the Turbo 2 is also even bigger (though thinner) than the Maxx 2 despite a smaller display.

Again, nearly identical. There difference in height is negligible. And with a case on, the 5x is taller.

So if you have your own definition of a phablet I can as well. The turbo 2 isn't a phablet imo.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I didn't want to start a new thread so I'm asking here. In regards to turning the screen off and turning it on, does this phone have a feature similar to the htc m8 where you can double tap the screen to turn in on and tap the screen to turn it off? My goal with any new phone is to use the buttons the least amount as possible.

And for the speakers, how do they sound when playing music? I know it probably doesn't compare to the htc M series of phones but how does it sound when playing music (without headphones)? I haven't been able to find any of this info yet. thx!

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
the N6 and the turbo 2 have almost the same specs, I think the only exception is the finger print scanner

They're very similar or the same in a lot of specs, but there's a handful of differences in the devices and in things I have to consider in my purchase:

Turbo 2 Pros:
+ Wireless charging (I have 2 Qi chargers already, including a nice stand charger on my desk at work - it's really nice to be able to see/use the phone without picking it up, and not have to unplug anything if I do pick it up, and be able to keep the charge topped off with no effort)
+ Shatterproof screen
+ A bit smaller overall size
+ Slightly bigger battery (though it's unclear how real-life battery life will compare)
+ A bit cheaper after $200 trade-in
+ Can do interest-free financing over 24 months via Verizon

Turbo 2 Cons:
- No fingerprint scanner (this is kinda big for me, as I run a business and security is important to me. Without this I don't really lock my phone, and keep my password manager behind a PIN number. A fingerprint scanner would up my security and peace of mind quite a bit)
- Likely to get fewer updates, and slower
- Smaller screen

Nexus 6P Pros:
+ Fingerprint scanner
+ Larger screen
+ More/faster updates, longer overall support
+ Cheaper (without trade-in)

Nexus 6P Cons:
- No interest-free financing
- Have to wait longer to get it
- Likely a more fragile device (though I am very careful with my devices, and the only smartphone I've broken/ruined was one that got left in a kayak underwater for a week... long story, RIP Droid Razr.)
- Bigger overall size
- No wireless charging
- Less proven manufacturer (Huawei) vs Motorola/Lenovo

Other points - both seem to have good cameras, and I'm not super picky about my cameras (if I want good photos, I have a DSLR), so I consider the cameras close enough to be a draw. The TypeC connector is a better design and the future, but all my cables are microUSB, so I consider the pros/cons of that a draw. Both have same processor/RAM, both have always listening, etc.

Honestly, it mostly comes down to the fingerprint scanner, financing, and availability that has me wrestling.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't want to start a new thread so I'm asking here. In regards to turning the screen off and turning it on, does this phone have a feature similar to the htc m8 where you can double tap the screen to turn in on and tap the screen to turn it off? My goal with any new phone is to use the buttons the least amount as possible.

The Turbo does have a feature called Moto Display that shows up to three unread notification icons, or a lock icon when you have nothing unread, when you move the phone or even wave your hand in front of the display. You can power on by sliding the icon up (to open the app with the notification) or down (to open the last thing running before the display powered off) without touching the power button. It doesn't change power off, but at least you can save half the power button presses.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I may have to incorporate some of the features I'm currently using on my note 4 to get what I want.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd vote no. I'd put it somewhere in the top 5 maybe, but definitely in the top 10.

If I had to make a short list in 30 seconds or so, I'd go with:

1. Nexus 6p
2. Moto XPE
3. Galaxy Note 5
4. Nexus 5x
5. Sony Xperia Z5 (one of them)
6. Moto X Play
7. LG G4
8. DROID TURBO 2
9. Nexus 6
10. HTC M9

But I have zero interest in anything but 1, 2, 4 and 9 on that list.

I will say that I am MUCH happier with this year's TURBO than last year, but it has a lot of not happy points that make it a rather regressive device. IMO, get rid of the logo, make it high quality dual speakers, find a way to give it the durability without resorting to plastic, increase the screen size and screen to body ratio, get it out of Verizon's software grips and price it near the Moto X PE or Nexus 5x - and maybe we have a different conversation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon