Is the Droid Turbo 2 the Best Android...Ever?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Having used both the note 5 and turbo 2, the note 5 is noticeably easier to hold in my hand

I'd be somewhat inclined to refer to the Turbo 2 as having a "small" screen (yeah, I know...) - but after 5.7" and 5.96" devices, even my wife's LG G4 feels a little smallish.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd be somewhat inclined to refer to the Turbo 2 as having a "small" screen (yeah, I know...) - but after 5.7" and 5.96" devices, even my wife's LG G4 feels a little smallish.
The screen is smaller than the note 5 or nexus 6. But the physical width and depth is greater than the note 5. And for me those are the most critical as that is important when holding in my hand. The turbo 2 is shorter though, but the height is a lot less critical than the width and depth for me.

uploadfromtaptalk1446565529025.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446565538678.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446565548229.jpg

strawbee

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Actually in this case the reverse is true. Lenovo has less presence than the smartphone market than Huawei which is the 3rd largest smartphone maker in the world. I see that you've labelled them as Motorola/Lenovo but at this point we may as well just use the lenovo label considering they've pretty much axed all of the original Motorola engineers.

Did they? I thought they axed most of the Motorola supporting teams, and didn't touch product development very much.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
And for me those are the most critical as that is important when holding in my hand.

I'm inclined to agree. The width reduction between the Nex5X and the G4 doesn't seem like much, but for me, it was a lot. The 5X is easier to hold in one hand than the G4.

However, back to the topic....I am not sure I would consider this to be the greatest device made. Is it a solid contender? Yes. Greatest...no.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm inclined to agree. The width reduction between the Nex5X and the G4 doesn't seem like much, but for me, it was a lot. The 5X is easier to hold in one hand than the G4.

However, back to the topic....I am not sure I would consider this to be the greatest device made. Is it a solid contender? Yes. Greatest...no.

In the interest of maintaining the thread on topic, i created a separate thread discussing whether or not the Turbo 2 is a phablet, so that this thread doesn't get sidelined. Personally, it has some potential, but the lack of FPS is to me a big negative. The shatterproof screen is nice...but it also comes at the expense of making the phone bigger than it needed to be.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo-2/603488-do-you-consider-turbo-2-phablet.html

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
wow 5.10" - 6.99" - that includes a TON of devices. The Moto X 2014 and Google Nexus 5X by LG were both missing from the chart so I added them.

The G2 would fall into that grouping then, but I don't think many if any would call it a phablet.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
When you hear what most people want in a phone:

Removable or long lasting battery
Expandable storage
Excellent camera
Durable (in this case extremely).
Not a phablet
Near stock android

This device seems to check all the boxes that most look for/complain about when a device comes out and always seems to be missing something. Every device is always missing that one feature...

Unfortunately being loved down to Verizon is a downfall. But I'm scheming the ways to make it work!

I'm sorry. I have owned the Droid Turbo. And that thing in its own right looked so classy. It felt like a phone by which looking at it gave an impression that the designer gave a crap about design. Even though it was thick, it looked amazing.

I own the Galaxy S6 now. And this has happened to me in the past, I don't care if the phone is providing me with everything, but if it doesn't feel like a $600 phone when I pick it up, it isn't worth it. The Droid Turbo is still the closest phone to being perfect in my opinion.

The Turbo 2 is
U
G
L
Y

I know it's subjective. But what's up with the asymmetrical bezels? The lower bezel looks soooooo bad! In my opinion of course.

The Turbo 1 will be remembered as a classic! It was amazing! The camera wasn't the best but I had taken amazing pictures with it nevertheless. Update support wasn't the best and that matters. The rest was and still is near perfect!

Tommy Bayshore

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a S6 Edge+ but i liked the way this phone looked and the battery specs so i decided to give it a try. Needless to say its sitting in the Verizon bag about to go back to the store. Maybe im just spoiled with Samsung's TouchWiz UI but there are so many parts of the Turbo2 that are not customizable its just annoying as hell to me. The screen is decent but the resolution sucks comparred to the screen real estate on the S6 Edge+ and Note 5, its alot heavier and the Verizon rep said even though the screen doesnt break numerous people were complaining about how easy it scratched up. Its a very basic phone if you ask me, someone just starting off with Android this is a great phone and i really wanted to like it. Another annoyance, the email completely SUCKS, with my Galaxy i can shrink the font down and see about 10 emails in a nice clean list, with the Turbo2 i can see maybe 4 or 5 if im lucky and i have to keep hitting "show pictures" every time, im a corporate guy so email is important and this phone just completely fails in the email department. Text messaging is also horrible, well at least the native interface is, no way to customize it at all without installing a 3rd party text program. This phone is going back to Verizon unless my Dad wants it, he is 74 years old and will probably like it due to it being so basic. The phone looks great though, Moto did a great job on the design but whats inside sucks and for that reason i wouldnt waste my time with it.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Like I said in other posts, the best phone is purely subjective and is based on your preferences and usage pattern.

That said, the Turbo 2 is a great piece of kit, but only a few things hold it back for me.
- Verizon stuff
- Longer than usual system updates
- Lack of availability outside Verizon unless you decide to import the Moto X Force, which is an international variant of the Turbo 2

I'd put the SD810 on there as well, but I feel that the heat has died down a bit.

Personally, I prefer the Nexus 6P, but that's just my preference.

Agree, it's all subjective but two things hold me back from the 6p. No qi charging and I can't get it subsidized before the 15th. But the qi is really this difference maker for me.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a S6 Edge+ but i liked the way this phone looked and the battery specs so i decided to give it a try. Needless to say its sitting in the Verizon bag about to go back to the store. Maybe im just spoiled with Samsung's TouchWiz UI but there are so many parts of the Turbo2 that are not customizable its just annoying as hell to me. The screen is decent but the resolution sucks comparred to the screen real estate on the S6 Edge+ and Note 5, its alot heavier and the Verizon rep said even though the screen doesnt break numerous people were complaining about how easy it scratched up. Its a very basic phone if you ask me, someone just starting off with Android this is a great phone and i really wanted to like it. Another annoyance, the email completely SUCKS, with my Galaxy i can shrink the font down and see about 10 emails in a nice clean list, with the Turbo2 i can see maybe 4 or 5 if im lucky and i have to keep hitting "show pictures" every time, im a corporate guy so email is important and this phone just completely fails in the email department. Text messaging is also horrible, well at least the native interface is, no way to customize it at all without installing a 3rd party text program. This phone is going back to Verizon unless my Dad wants it, he is 74 years old and will probably like it due to it being so basic. The phone looks great though, Moto did a great job on the design but whats inside sucks and for that reason i wouldnt waste my time with it.

Hmm, for such a 'basic' phone it had you fooled?

Simple setting changes photos in email allows you to change photos to 'always show'. And you an easily change the text settings to show more content.

Sounds like you had other reasons for not liking/wanting it, because its just as or more capable than a galaxy...

Tommy Bayshore

May 23, 2013
Visit site
There are hardly any settings in the email, the only display settings that let you change the font to "very small" still aren't very small in the email app, <mod edit>, use a S6 Edge+ or Note 5, absolutely no comparison... apparently you have never used a Galaxy if your saying that Droid Turbo 2 is more capable. More capable of taking a direct drop on the concrete but that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
There are hardly any settings in the email, the only display settings that let you change the font to "very small" still aren't very small in the email app, bottom line the phone is a piece of ****, use a S6 Edge+ or Note 5, absolutely no comparison... apparently you have never used a Galaxy if your saying that Droid Turbo 2 is more capable. More capable of taking a direct drop on the concrete but that's about it.

So, you saw the settings that allow you to shrink the font and see more content, and the setting so pictures automatically load?

<mod edit> What makes it less capable than a s6?

Last edited by a moderator:

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 galaxy's in my desk drawer, I hate them so much that I let my kids play with them to take pictures or play games..beats them playing with a real phone like my droid

.. apparently you have never used a Galaxy if your saying that Droid Turbo 2 is more capable. More capable of taking a direct drop on the concrete but that's about it.

lou61166#CB

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I will say one thing I am more then pleased with the battery life on this phone also I have never had a phone you could keep the brightness set on 50 and have no issues with sun or out door use these 2 things alone are important to me I am more then satisfied with my decision

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Actually in this case the reverse is true. Lenovo has less presence than the smartphone market than Huawei which is the 3rd largest smartphone maker in the world. I see that you've labelled them as Motorola/Lenovo but at this point we may as well just use the lenovo label considering they've pretty much axed all of the original Motorola engineers.

While that bodes well for the Huawei, it's still a brand that *I* know next to nothing about, and doesn't have an established reputation in the US. The Motorola brand is kind of in a questionable time of change, but overall it seems like Lenovo makes good stuff, at least with the laptops & such I've worked with. Either way, the brand isn't a big sway one way or the other to me.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Agree, it's all subjective but two things hold me back from the 6p. No qi charging and I can't get it subsidized before the 15th. But the qi is really this difference maker for me.
Why can't you get it subsidized before the 15th? I just ordered a Turbo 2 on a 2 year contract by transferring an upgrade from one of my UDPs to a TDP line. I had to do it before the 15th in order to get the UDP line back on contact. Otherwise, Verizon was going to increase the UDP line charge by $20/month. Over the life of the contract, that's $480. The Turbo 2 64Gb, with an extra turbo charger for the car and taxes was ~$393. That made the decision easy- essentially they are paying me $87 to upgrade vs the increased line charges I would have to otherwise pay.

tion45

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
The o ly way you can do financing interest free for the nexus 6p is throw project fi and you have to have the service for as long as your paying off the phone. Otherwise if you buy through Huawei you can finance for 10% + interest which is $40 a month. I wanted a nexus 6p bad but these options have made the nexus unattainable for me. Google would have been smarter if they would have down financing through the Google store which would have made them even for sales.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You can also get phones interest free by buying them outright like most of the world. That's one deficiency of the TURBO 2 though, the priced way above the market for similar devices.