You can order a replacement Moto Shattershield Lens from Motorola

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
In less than 24 hours I had a scratch on mine from me forgetting to put my car keys in my other pocket. I'll probably order this replacement and put a tempered glass one over it.

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I ordered one and replaced it tonight. I have one bubble that won't go away. I'm hoping after 24 hours it will. If it does, I'll put the Flexible glass one over it. If not, I guess I'll order another shattershield. I was thinking folks said the Verizon checkmark was on the shattershield but it's actually on the lower layer.

Are you supposed to wait 24 hours before turning it on or it just takes 24 hours for it to fully set but you can turn it on and use it after the initial install?

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I ordered one and replaced it tonight. I have one bubble that won't go away. I'm hoping after 24 hours it will. If it does, I'll put the Flexible glass one over it. If not, I guess I'll order another shattershield. I was thinking folks said the Verizon checkmark was on the shattershield but it's actually on the lower layer.

Are you supposed to wait 24 hours before turning it on or it just takes 24 hours for it to fully set but you can turn it on and use it after the initial install?
Hmm... What's odd is that if you look at the video Motorola posted it looks like there is no VZW logo on the phone when they take off the top layer. However, when they put the replacement back on, it appears that the logo is on the 2nd layer. Also, Matt on the support forum said that his replacement did not have a logo on it, which would imply that the 2nd layer would be clear too.....

Let us know how it turned out.

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
The logo is on the 2nd layer (the below layer) or the primary Lens. It's not on the Shattershield. The Shattershield is clear. The video is probably clear because they are doing the change on the Moto X Force (same phone, no Verizon). The logo is still there. Thankfully the bubble is not. It's clear and pristine now. Now that it's set, I'm going to put the Flexible Glass on it to prevent it from being scratched again.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The logo is on the 2nd layer (the below layer) or the primary Lens. It's not on the Shattershield. The Shattershield is clear. The video is probably clear because they are doing the change on the Moto X Force (same phone, no Verizon). The logo is still there. Thankfully the bubble is not. It's clear and pristine now. Now that it's set, I'm going to put the Flexible Glass on it to prevent it from being scratched again.

Good to hear it turned out.

I don't know what phone they used in the video, but like I said after they take the top lens off, the phone does not appear to have the VZW logo, but when they put the new lens on, there does appear to be a VZW logo on the phone already. Odd, but perhaps I'm mistaken. Either way, it's not a big deal for me.

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
If there is a good thing about the logo now, at least it's just the checkmark and it's not the full logo. It's not really as annoying as the FULL logo on the front and back of the device like it has been on most of the phones over the last few years.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Gave the OEM Verizon screen protectors a shot and failed. Lots of dust under it and I thought I was careful. I took it off and put the 3 pack,( minus 1 ) away. I ordered a Moto Shattershield for $29.99 and will just keep it for a spare. Hope I don't get too many scratches.

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Gave the OEM Verizon screen protectors a shot and failed. Lots of dust under it and I thought I was careful. I took it off and put the 3 pack,( minus 1 ) away. I ordered a Moto Shattershield for $29.99 and will just keep it for a spare. Hope I don't get too many scratches.

Verizon sells two different types of screen protectors for the T2: their 3-pack is a typical plastic protector. The other one is a very thin (2mm?) slightly flexible tempered glass -- and this one is excellent. It seems that folks in the Verizon corporate stores have been trained to install these, and in my experience they do a great job - and that's what I've read about other folks getting the same thing installed by Verizon employees in corporate stores. No charge for them to do it (it takes all of 5 mins), but the advantage is that if they screw up, they'll replace the glass if needed with no extra charge to you.

We've got three T2's, all with Verizon tempered glass protectors installed. The cutouts are perfect, and the glass covers the ENTIRE screen, unlike some competing brands that cut away too much at the top of the phone. We've been using all 3 turbo 2's since the second week of November, and the protectors are perfect: like new, perfect glass feel / touch - every bit the equal of any glass screen phone. No scratches on any of theses, they clean up perfectly with microfiber or, as I prefer, with a moistened lens cleaning wipe (e.g., the Bausch&Lomb wipes that Sam's Club sells in big boxes).

As far as I'm concerned, this is a perfect solution. With the tempered glass installed by a Verizon employee, you can be finicky and have it installed perfectly, total cost $24.95 + tax. Look, feel and scratch resistance of a true tempered glass screen. You still have the overall damage resistance of the turbo 2 -- and if you were to actually drop the phone hard enough to crack this screen protector, you're only out another $25 to replace the tempered glass. Great combination.

catstide

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
On the Verizon site it only has 4 reviews. 2 of the 4 says it doesn't stick well and peels off. Have you seen any signs of this?

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
On the Verizon site it only has 4 reviews. 2 of the 4 says it doesn't stick well and peels off. Have you seen any signs of this?

No peeling or edge lifting at all. Looks perfect - just as it did when installed in mid-November. I made a point of having the phone's own screen immaculate when installing the glass. In our case, the phones were all brand-new, just out of the box. Since the Verizon sales people offered to do the installation in the store, I let them -- no charge, and if they ran into a problem, they eat the cost. In one case, the sales rep wound up with a piece of dust on the protector and despite 3 tries couldn't get it out -- so she tossed that one and started with a new protector -- no extra cost to me. Reasonable to install yourself (as cbironman24 notes) if you're careful, have a steady hand, and are somewhat obsessive about dust, air bubbles and alignment.

The screen isn't noticeably curved. I can only think of a couple of possible reasons that somebody is reporting that the glass is lifting. 1) perhaps when installing they misaligned the glass, so it's edge overhangs the phone screen itself a bit and gets tugged every time they insert the phone in a pocket (although this is really a stretch...). 2) Maybe they used something to clean the phone screen, before installing the glass, that left a residue - although frankly I can't imagine what they would have used that would do this short of some kind of furniture polish.

My recommendation: if there's a Verizon corp store in your area that offers this free service, have them install it - and make sure you're 100% satisfied that the install is perfect. If I were to install one of these myself I would:
  • Wash my hands a couple of times and dry thoroughly with a lint-free cloth
  • Find a very lint-free area to work in, with a clean surface
  • Clean the turbo 2's screen thoroughly - I generally use an alcohol-based lens wipe followed by microfiber (see below for VZW employee technique)
  • Align one end / edge, and lay the glass down gently
  • Once it appears properly aligned, use a microfiber cloth, and apply pressure from the center, working out to the edges

The Verizon corp store employees who installed mine did something I hadn't seen before. After wiping the phone screen, they placed the phone down and covered it with three strips of 2" wide clear package sealing tape. They pressed the tape down, working it down thoroughly, across the entire phone screen, and then peeled it back. This might have been overkill -- but it removed all traces of dust that might have been on the screen.

Net: 10 weeks later, all three glass screens still look perfect. No lifting at all. I will probably do this for any and all new phones I get going forward. Very happy with the result.

Jon

ThatKasper

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I had a tempered glass screen protector put on my Turbo 2 as soon as I got my phone and recently it started bubbling & peeling from one corner so went in to get another protector and when they took it off we realized it was the phone's screen itself that is starting to peel away & they had no idea about this removable ShatterShield until we did some research. One guy @VZ suggested just peeling it off & replacing it with their tempered glass protector & be done with it but wasn't sure that would be the right thing to do. Thoughts?

My options are:
1. Sending phone in to Motorola to install new ShatterShield = $59 & the cost of not having a phone for 1-2 weeks
2. Having them send me the ShatterShield to install myself then installing a new screen protector - $29 for ShatterShield + $24.99 for protector
3. Peeling off the ShatterShield myself & installing Verizon's tempered glass screen protector by itself = $24.99 (already purchased)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Install the shattershield. It is a required part in order to receive warranty coverage for screen damage. Install another screen protector over it if you wish.

Dimitris Kolios

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Hello Guys, i wonder if non of you can help me find/order a tempered glass for my Moto X Force (droid turbo 2). I live in sweden and is not possible to find it here in the local stores, thanks

Gurol

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Hello Guys, i wonder if non of you can help me find/order a tempered glass for my Moto X Force (droid turbo 2). I live in sweden and is not possible to find it here in the local stores, thanks
Hii. I have Motorola Droid Turbo 2 and living in Turkey. I ordered tempered glas at aliexpress.. And fixed.. Usefull. Ps. Order couple.. Not only one..

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Not impressed with the "toughness" of the shattershield... has picked up a number of scratches over the last year. My last phone which is a BlackBerry Z10 actually looks newer. Clearly it needed a 3rd party screen protector.

But at least I could replace the shattershield... sadly the price hasn't come down over the last year.

snow716

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Not impressed with the "toughness" of the shattershield... has picked up a number of scratches over the last year. My last phone which is a BlackBerry Z10 actually looks newer. Clearly it needed a 3rd party screen protector.

But at least I could replace the shattershield... sadly the price hasn't come down over the last year.

Does anyone know if the shattershield replacement is still available and where to purchase?? It scratches very easily and will be putting a flexible screen protector over it as soon as possible. Alternatively are there any high-quality, well fitting tempered glass protectors that can 'replace' the shattershield lens?

steveg2112

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
looks like they are back in stock

"www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-shattershield-replacement-lens-droid-turbo-2"

Too late for me, Pixel 2 on order

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084