11-09-2017 04:19 PM
40 12
tools
    Hey everyone, I was just poking around the motorola website, and look what I found...

Moto ShatterShield™ Replacement Lens for Droid Turbo 2

Please forgive me if someone already found this, I figured this warranted a new thread so that people could quickly locate it.
    teckee, dmark44, ibcop and 2 others like this.
    11-02-2015 01:47 PM
    Thanks. Pretty sure you are the first to post this.
    11-02-2015 01:50 PM
    Nice! About the same cost as the VZW flexible glass screen protector. Almost think you dont need one of those anymore(I put one on). Just order a couple of these as standby's, will almost guarantee you'd never need to replace them. I wonder how you get the old off? Heat?
    11-02-2015 01:54 PM
    I doubt you need to heat the old one up. Probably just peels right off. I ordered the 3 pack of cheap ones from verizon, but I won't even bother putting them on. I'll just order one of these and replace it if it ever gets scratched.
    11-02-2015 01:58 PM
    Nice, now we know a price ($30). Won't be long and there will probably be options (including without logos) for $10-20 on Amazon.
    dmark44 likes this.
    11-02-2015 02:07 PM
    Hey Mr. Ry (or any other mod for that matter), I'd like to request this be made a sticky so that everyone can find this quickly...
    11-02-2015 02:07 PM
    I do not see a logo on the one from motorola. I'll let you know when I get it...
    YAYTech likes this.
    11-02-2015 02:08 PM
    It'll be interesting to see what options folks come up with for adding your own custom logo. Would be super simple on the front of the protector, but I wonder about the back of it, if it would mess with the touch sensitivity. I'm picturing my biz logo in place of the Verizon one...
    11-02-2015 02:11 PM
    Sticky for now.
    11-02-2015 06:09 PM
    Hey everyone, I was just poking around the motorola website, and look what I found...

Moto ShatterShield™ Replacement Lens for Droid Turbo 2

Please forgive me if someone already found this, I figured this warranted a new thread so that people could quickly locate it.

Here's the tutorial on how to replace the lens.

And a little more info from a motorola forum manager.
    11-02-2015 09:02 PM
    hopefully there will be tempered glass options also. i'd pay more for it.
    11-03-2015 10:51 AM
    I hear you, but honestly, don't hold your breath. Glass and "shatterproof" don't mix. Specifically, I doubt Motorola will release a "glass" screen protector, maybe a third party. Verizon has something labeled as a glass screen protector:

Flexible Glass Screen Protector for DROID Turbo 2 - Verizon Wireless
    11-03-2015 11:14 AM
    Do you think its worth putting a screen protector over this replaceable outer layer? Just asking because these replacements are quite a bit more than a standard screen protector.
    11-04-2015 08:32 AM
    Do you think its worth putting a screen protector over this replaceable outer layer? Just asking because these replacements are quite a bit more than a standard screen protector.
    I was originally going to do that until I found the replacement lens. Any more layers decrease the sensitivity of the touch. My droid Maxx wouldn't register sometimes with a screen protector on. This will be the first phone I won't use a screen protector on.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-04-2015 09:37 PM
    From looking at the 1 day old phone at the Verizon store and seeing how scratched it was (they were light, but definitely there) I don't think I could stand/deal with the stock screen. I already bought one of the glass protectors. Its held up well on my Turbo and the ones for the T2 actually seem to be made specifically for the phone as opposed to the ones they sold for the original Turbo.
    11-05-2015 12:15 PM
    I ordered a replacement lens from Motorola just to have a backup on hand. I'm happy to say it came in today with........ No Verizon logo on it!
    11-06-2015 04:15 PM
    Got my spare replacement lens today as well, and no Verizon logo on the lens. If you hate the logo that much, just order a replacement, no reason to risk your $700 device without the factory lens.

Posted via the Android Central App
    dmark44 and cbironman24 like this.
    11-10-2015 07:53 PM
    My phone has many, many scratches on the stock shattershield from less than a week of use. Those of you who don't plan on using a screen protector might want to rethink your position. Sure, you can replace it, but replacing a $30 lense every month or so seems a bit steep for me. I'll be rolling with the stock shattershield and a screen protector on top.
    11-15-2015 06:29 PM
    I Have Noticed The Screen On The Turbo is very prone to scratches despite being shatterproof.
    11-26-2015 02:34 PM
    My phone has many, many scratches on the stock shattershield from less than a week of use. Those of you who don't plan on using a screen protector might want to rethink your position. Sure, you can replace it, but replacing a $30 lense every month or so seems a bit steep for me. I'll be rolling with the stock shattershield and a screen protector on top.
    I was undecided for a while - but finally decided when our 3 Turbo 2's arrived to install the Verizon tempered glass screen protectors on the pristeen new Turbo 2's before we ever used them. They fit perfectly - no gaps, perfect cutouts. Feel great, look great. No doubt that if I were to try to typical "Turbo 2" drop test, the glass layer would fracture, and I might even have to replace the removable shattershield layer below it, but this setup is nice - very resistant to scratches, all the "feel" of glass. Glad we opted for this, and won't hesitate to do this again if we get more phones with this type of screen.

Jon
    11-29-2015 05:03 PM
    In less than 24 hours I had a scratch on mine from me forgetting to put my car keys in my other pocket. I'll probably order this replacement and put a tempered glass one over it.
    12-29-2015 12:40 AM
    I ordered one and replaced it tonight. I have one bubble that won't go away. I'm hoping after 24 hours it will. If it does, I'll put the Flexible glass one over it. If not, I guess I'll order another shattershield. I was thinking folks said the Verizon checkmark was on the shattershield but it's actually on the lower layer.

Are you supposed to wait 24 hours before turning it on or it just takes 24 hours for it to fully set but you can turn it on and use it after the initial install?
    01-09-2016 08:50 PM
    I ordered one and replaced it tonight. I have one bubble that won't go away. I'm hoping after 24 hours it will. If it does, I'll put the Flexible glass one over it. If not, I guess I'll order another shattershield. I was thinking folks said the Verizon checkmark was on the shattershield but it's actually on the lower layer.

Are you supposed to wait 24 hours before turning it on or it just takes 24 hours for it to fully set but you can turn it on and use it after the initial install?
    Hmm... What's odd is that if you look at the video Motorola posted it looks like there is no VZW logo on the phone when they take off the top layer. However, when they put the replacement back on, it appears that the logo is on the 2nd layer. Also, Matt on the support forum said that his replacement did not have a logo on it, which would imply that the 2nd layer would be clear too.....

Let us know how it turned out.
    01-10-2016 04:14 PM
    The logo is on the 2nd layer (the below layer) or the primary Lens. It's not on the Shattershield. The Shattershield is clear. The video is probably clear because they are doing the change on the Moto X Force (same phone, no Verizon). The logo is still there. Thankfully the bubble is not. It's clear and pristine now. Now that it's set, I'm going to put the Flexible Glass on it to prevent it from being scratched again.
    01-10-2016 11:54 PM
    The logo is on the 2nd layer (the below layer) or the primary Lens. It's not on the Shattershield. The Shattershield is clear. The video is probably clear because they are doing the change on the Moto X Force (same phone, no Verizon). The logo is still there. Thankfully the bubble is not. It's clear and pristine now. Now that it's set, I'm going to put the Flexible Glass on it to prevent it from being scratched again.
    Good to hear it turned out.

I don't know what phone they used in the video, but like I said after they take the top lens off, the phone does not appear to have the VZW logo, but when they put the new lens on, there does appear to be a VZW logo on the phone already. Odd, but perhaps I'm mistaken. Either way, it's not a big deal for me.
    01-11-2016 04:20 PM
40 12