So I went to check out the T2 at the local VZW store. Played around with one for a good 25 mins. I worked it over pretty good, loaded up plenty of apps, downloaded several apps, installed the Google Now launcher, ran Google Earth, Maps, snapped several photos, recorded 4K video, watched 4K Youtube, etc. I tried to do as much as possible, while it was downloading/installing apps in the background, as I find that to be a good test for performance. I intentionally pushed it hard while using it to see how it held up. The unit I was using became very warm, and the SD 810 lag seemed to show its ugly head. The warmer the phone got, the more it started to get stuttery/choppy/hitchy, whatever you wanna call it. It was not an experience that instills confidence.

So I'm asking you Turbo 2 owners - have you experienced the dreaded SD810 overheating / throttling in your usage thus far? I had pretty much settled on getting the T2, but I'm now reconsidering.
    11-04-2015 12:57 PM
    Not once and I drove around with the Google maps navigation the only time I have seen the temps get over 105 was when charging
    11-04-2015 01:02 PM
    I was getting ready to post the same thing. When turbo charging and using hotspot to tether a tablet, and using the phone at the same time, the phone seems throttled. I am disappointed because the note 5 can handle this much much better.
    11-04-2015 01:04 PM
    Yeah, that's not good to hear, dpham. Your use case and mine would be similar. I would be using it quite a bit on the road with simultaneous navigation / tethering / calls / etc. If it falters under that kind of load, I may have to go with something else. I was also considering the 6P, but that also uses the SD810, so I'm wondering if I would have the same issues there (reportedly, the 6P does not exhibit CPU throttling).
    11-04-2015 01:18 PM
    The 6p could have better cooling.
    11-04-2015 01:33 PM
    Not once and I drove around with the Google maps navigation the only time I have seen the temps get over 105 was when charging
    Unfortunately it is winter now but a good test would be using the phone as a navigation system in direct sunlight in hot weather while charging.
    11-04-2015 01:35 PM
    The 6p could have better cooling.
    Reviews I've read stated that it didn't exhibit CPU throttling that other SD810 phones have. Have you found something different?
    11-04-2015 01:38 PM
    dpham (and gunner too), you stated you were using turbo charging and tethering. What's it like with a standard charger hooked up? You have to remember that turbo charging pumps A LOT of current into the device which will heat it up. It's just physics, no matter what processor the thing has. When I got my T2 yesterday, the first thing I did was hook it up for a full charge with the turbo charger. I didn't even turn it on. It started at 48%, and it was definitely fairly warm after about 10-15 min of turbo charging.

Gunner, from my readings of the revised 810, the problems were resolved in the new version of the chip. IMHO, expecting a device to take 2-4 amps of current during a charge and provide a tether is a bit out of the "normal". I think you'll find that if you hook up a regular charger (something around 1A), that the device will be much happier.
    11-05-2015 08:18 AM
    @ Viper: I was just using a T2 demo unit at the VZW store. I don't yet own one. They had their charging / security cable hooked up to it. I doubt that the charging source they are using was a turbo charger (however, I have no way of verifying that). I don't think it's an unreasonable scenario that end users might be using the included turbo charger and also be running tethering - especially business users / road warriors (which this phone seems ideally suited for). I agree that using a standard charger is probably a better idea, but I also think the phone should be capable of performing as marketed while using the accessories that came in the box.

Regardless, I am curious to know if you have experienced the CPU throttling that I noticed on the demo unit I used? If you get a chance, try to push your phone hard (simultaneous tethering, navigation, web surfing, installing apps, etc.) while it is charging (and also while not charging?) to see what happens. If you notice the phone is becoming very sluggish or laggy, then we know what's going on.
    Cauhauna likes this.
    11-05-2015 08:35 AM
    Oh I definitely will, and after I wrote the post, yea, I can see the need for it. Being an engineer, it's all about compromise though. I just wanted to relay what's going on with the turbo charging, a lot of juice is going into the phone which will create heat. As for the demo models, oh my, please don't make a decision based on them. I went to the store too to check it out, and man they were dog slow thanks to their demo mode that I couldn't turn off. Mine is extremely quick compared to my old droid maxx. I'll push the phone as you described, and let you know. In the end, it's up to you, but the T2 has the largest battery of any device on the market.
    11-05-2015 09:00 AM
    In the end, it's up to you, but the T2 has the largest battery of any device on the market.
    *cough* Turbo 1 is 3900 mah.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-05-2015 10:03 AM
    *cough* Turbo 1 is 3900 mah.

hehe...fair enough...I meant the newest models on the market.
    11-05-2015 10:10 AM
    hehe...fair enough...I meant the newest models on the market.
    👍

11-05-2015 10:27 AM
    dpham (and gunner too), you stated you were using turbo charging and tethering. What's it like with a standard charger hooked up? You have to remember that turbo charging pumps A LOT of current into the device which will heat it up. It's just physics, no matter what processor the thing has. When I got my T2 yesterday, the first thing I did was hook it up for a full charge with the turbo charger. I didn't even turn it on. It started at 48%, and it was definitely fairly warm after about 10-15 min of turbo charging.

Gunner, from my readings of the revised 810, the problems were resolved in the new version of the chip. IMHO, expecting a device to take 2-4 amps of current during a charge and provide a tether is a bit out of the "normal". I think you'll find that if you hook up a regular charger (something around 1A), that the device will be much happier.
    The charging gets way throttled down when under continuous high load anyway so a different charger won't make that much of a difference. The throttled charging is way under 1 amp

Overheating / CPU Throttling ?-uploadfromtaptalk1446742403420.jpg
    11-05-2015 10:56 AM
    Oh I definitely will, and after I wrote the post, yea, I can see the need for it. Being an engineer, it's all about compromise though. I just wanted to relay what's going on with the turbo charging, a lot of juice is going into the phone which will create heat. As for the demo models, oh my, please don't make a decision based on them. I went to the store too to check it out, and man they were dog slow thanks to their demo mode that I couldn't turn off. Mine is extremely quick compared to my old droid maxx. I'll push the phone as you described, and let you know. In the end, it's up to you, but the T2 has the largest battery of any device on the market.
    T2 has a large battery but in my usage, the battery life isn't as good as my note 5. The Note 5 can handle the same situation much better.
    11-05-2015 10:58 AM
    Hey dpham, what current sensor setting do you have in the battery monitor? Mine is reading the current draw properly...
    11-05-2015 11:26 AM
    Hey dpham, what current sensor setting do you have in the battery monitor? Mine is reading the current draw properly...
    Reverse Android uA. Which one are you using?
    11-05-2015 01:06 PM
    Reverse Android uA. Which one are you using?
    I was using the Moto G setting. I've now switched to your setting, we'll see how it does on reporting....
    11-05-2015 01:57 PM