I was using my turbo 2 for navigation with satellite view on Google maps and max brightness while charging and it got hot. It might have gotten even higher if I used it longer or used it on a hot day. I also didn't turn on the hotspot which would have gotten it even hotter.

Turbo 2 gets hot when using navigation-uploadfromtaptalk1446769014241.jpg
    11-05-2015 06:17 PM
    Seems like to me maybe you should get rid of the phone all you do is complain about it, I have not had any issues whatsoever with this phone
    11-05-2015 06:31 PM
    He's presenting data, not really complaining.
    11-05-2015 06:45 PM
    True maybe but any phone is going to get warm if you are charging it and have the screen on max brightness running navigation I have yet to see my phone reach 105 degrees where once my old HTC droid DNA got to 165 degrees after leaving the screen on.
    11-05-2015 06:50 PM
    My Turbo 1 got hot if I used navigation, with the screen constantly on, while charging all at the same time. Not surprising to me. The phone is working hard. Using the turbo charger heats up the phone too.
    11-05-2015 07:16 PM
    Yeah, it's shocking that would happen...lol.
    11-05-2015 08:36 PM
    Were you just trying to stress test it? To be honest the first few things i thought of when I read this post were not the battery temp so much but why would you need hotspot while you're driving? And is satellite view really necessary for navigation?

114 degrees seems about what I've seen when I navigate with other phones. (Though my last couple were also Motorola phones.)
    11-05-2015 09:23 PM
    Were you just trying to stress test it? To be honest the first few things i thought of when I read this post were not the battery temp so much but why would you need hotspot while you're driving? And is satellite view really necessary for navigation?

114 degrees seems about what I've seen when I navigate with other phones. (Though my last couple were also Motorola phones.)
    I wasn't using hotspot today but just pointing out that I sometimes do use hotspot like when I go on family vacations since not everyone in my family has unlimited data. And hotspot usage would add more stress to the phone.

I like to use satellite view when driving... Have been doing so for years.

I have used the note 5 with auto boost kicking in while fast charging and with hotspot and it runs cooler.

I was trying to use the navigation this evening without charging,and lower brightness and it didn't get hot. So it could have been a combination of things that got the phone hot

Turbo 2 gets hot when using navigation-uploadfromtaptalk1446787192088.jpg
    11-05-2015 11:22 PM
    dpham, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Thank you for providing this data, but honestly, as I've mentioned before, the turbo charging on this phone is capable of drawing 4 amps from the charger. I'm not sure what your background is, but as an electrical engineer, that is A LOT of power for a small device as a phone. Last night my phone reached 107.9 deg F turbo charging in just an idle state at home on WIFI and it was pulling 3.959 amps. In order to validate your statements of "my note 5 was cooler", you're going to need to provide the same data with the same tests on the note 5. If my hunch is right, I'm willing to say that samsung's fast charge isn't drawing as much current. It has a smaller battery, only 3000 mAh (20% smaller) so that will decrease the time that the charging stays in the "fast mode". And the shorter the time the phone stays in "fast mode" charging, the less heat that builds.

In the end, what I'm trying to say is, you're trying to make a comparison that is not apples to apples. I've looked for the charging specs for the note 5, but I can't find them, but my gut is telling me that it just doesn't pull the same amount of current. If you're that worried about the heat, don't use the turbo charger, buy yourself a couple anker chargers that will still provide a good amount of current to keep up with the heavy loads of navigation, hotspot, etc.
    11-06-2015 08:22 AM
    dpham, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Thank you for providing this data, but honestly, as I've mentioned before, the turbo charging on this phone is capable of drawing 4 amps from the charger. I'm not sure what your background is, but as an electrical engineer, that is A LOT of power for a small device as a phone. Last night my phone reached 107.9 deg F turbo charging in just an idle state at home on WIFI and it was pulling 3.959 amps. In order to validate your statements of "my note 5 was cooler", you're going to need to provide the same data with the same tests on the note 5. If my hunch is right, I'm willing to say that samsung's fast charge isn't drawing as much current. It has a smaller battery, only 3000 mAh (20% smaller) so that will decrease the time that the charging stays in the "fast mode". And the shorter the time the phone stays in "fast mode" charging, the less heat that builds.

In the end, what I'm trying to say is, you're trying to make a comparison that is not apples to apples. I've looked for the charging specs for the note 5, but I can't find them, but my gut is telling me that it just doesn't pull the same amount of current. If you're that worried about the heat, don't use the turbo charger, buy yourself a couple anker chargers that will still provide a good amount of current to keep up with the heavy loads of navigation, hotspot, etc.
    Fair enough. My note 5 didn't feel that hot after using it for navigation , but I will do a similar test.

The Samsung adaptive fast charger is rated at 5v/2a or 9v/1.67a.

But the maximum amperage of the turbo charger 25 is 2.85a at either 5v or 9v for the stock charger.
    However for the test I used an aukey Quick Charge 2.0 car charger, and I will use the same for the note 5 test. Peak charging speeds don't really matter anyway as on the turbo 2 it gets heavily throttled once hot.

11-06-2015 11:35 AM
    I know for my T1 as well as phones before that, the phone would get hot while navigating on long (hr+) trips. I always thought is was a combination of processing, screen being on continuously at max brightness, sunlight beaming on it through the windshield, and continuous charging. I don't think this is unique to the T2, but an expected result with this specific set of circumstances.

Do you think this phenomenon is worse with the T2?
    11-06-2015 11:47 AM
    Fair enough. My note 5 didn't feel that hot after using it for navigation , but I will do a similar test.

The Samsung adaptive fast charger is rated at 5v/2a or 9v/1.67a.

But the maximum amperage of the turbo charger 25 is 2.85a at either 5v or 9v for the stock charger.
    However for the test I used an aukey Quick Charge 2.0 car charger, and I will use the same for the note 5 test. Peak charging speeds don't really matter anyway as on the turbo 2 it gets heavily throttled once hot.

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11...3df2861d0a.jpg
    Peak charging currents do matter, it's what builds the heat. If the T2 is charging at a higher current for a longer period of time it will get hotter (simple physics). Now, if you show data to the contrary where the Note is drawing similar current for a similar amount of time, then I'll happily stand corrected. I don't mean to sound harsh, it's just that a lot of people read forums and labeling the T2 as an overheating device isn't fair at this point in time.
    11-06-2015 12:37 PM
    Wow, my Droid Maxx hits 120* while navving and charging on a regular basis. This seems like a nice improvement. I'm on an airplane on WiFi with airplane mode on right now and I'm at 95*
    11-06-2015 04:07 PM
    As requested, note 5

Turbo 2 gets hot when using navigation-uploadfromtaptalk1446860238477.jpg
    11-06-2015 07:37 PM
    As I had guessed your peak charging currents are half that of the T2.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-06-2015 10:14 PM
    As I had guessed your peak charging currents are half that of the T2.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Personally I care more about a consistent charge rather than a high rate of charge for the first few minutes and then trickle charging afterwards.

Of course if you plan on using navigation for 7 minutes or less then the turbo 2 implementation is preferred, but over 7 minutes, the note 5 implementation is preferred.

It isn't just the charging times, but higher temperatures of the turbo 2 for extended periods of time will reduce the battery capacity.

Additionally, when you get to where I get out of the car, sometimes I will need to look up something right away, and being that the system is being heavily throttled, performance would be slow... Which is critical as I need to find something fast because I don't want to keep my family waiting
    11-06-2015 10:55 PM
    My Droid turbo only got hot while charging. It gets slightly warm doing everything else. My Droid turbo 2 on the other hand reaches about 105-110 degrees doing just about anything, and I think it's affecting my battery life
    06-22-2016 02:42 PM
    I know this is an older thread - but this seems to be a recurring issue. I basically can not use Google Maps. If I try, within 5-10 minutes, the phone get so hot, it reboots. I've taken the case off and it last maybe a little longer before it reboots. But inevitably, it reboots. Every. Single. Time.

I used a Galaxy S4 and S5 for the past several years before the T2 - never had this problem - not once. Was even able to use Google Maps WITH a case on it! GO FIGURE!

There's NOTHING as frustrating as trying to find your way somewhere using GMaps in the dark, and having your phone reboot just when you are needing nav info... and then take 10 minutes to restart. FRUSTRATING.
    07-20-2016 10:17 AM