Anyone use this and the Moto X Pure?

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I am torn between getting the Droid Turbo 2, Moto X PE, Droid Maxx and the Lg G4 is still in the running just for a change. I'm coming from the Moto X 2013. I have been back and forth between the Turbo 2 and Maxx 2 mainly. Just started doing a little research on the Pure. The only things that turn me off to the Pure is the size of the phone and the battery. Battery is probably most important to me. I know the Turbo and Maxx are similar and have the biggest batteries but maybe the Pure will be good enough. Coming from the Moto X 2013 almost anything will be better. I'm most hesitant about the Turbo 2 and Maxx 2 because they are Verizon exclusives and I don't want to be delayed in getting updates or anything. I would imagine the Pure would receive updates before the others.

So if it wasn't for the size of the Pure I might just jump the gun and get it but i'm not sure if I will like it and or if it will just be too much of a difference for me to get used to. I don't believe it is sold in stores so I can't test it out either.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or helpful tips to help me make a decision? I'm very indecisive when it comes to phones because I feel like no matter which one I get i'm going to want the other.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey,
I've actually used the MXPE for 2 weeks prior to sending it back.. and am now using the T2. Here's my take: I like the T2's size better. I like the T2's screen better (AMOLED versus the MXPE's LCD) - AMOLED also is better for MotoDisplay as only part of the screen fires. As you stated, battery life was important to me, and was one of the reasons I returned the MXPE in favor of the T2. The camera, although the same hardware, was actually reviewed better on the T2 versus the MXPE (possibly because of the improved CPU).

In all, I think the T2 is just a better overall phone (the price reflects this). The ONLY negative I see is possible slower updates, however Motorola seems committed now to providing faster updates, and truthfully v5.1.1 is soooooo stable, I'm not really in a rush to Marshmallow as the differences are slight.

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
How much of a size difference is there? Remember i'm coming from the Moto X 2013 with a 4.7 inch screen or something like that. I think this entire phone could probably fit in the screen of these phones lol.

Another thing I didn't mention in my post is the price. The Turbo obviously being most expensive followed by the Pure and then the Maxx. I just want to make sure i'm not over paying for something on the Turbo that I may not really need.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
How much of a size difference is there? Remember i'm coming from the Moto X 2013 with a 4.7 inch screen or something like that. I think this entire phone could probably fit in the screen of these phones lol.

Not much - the Pure is a little longer and thicker, the Turbo 2 is a little wider. But, how's this: Visual Phone Size Comparison

Makes that Moto X look tiny.

Another thing I didn't mention in my post is the price. The Turbo obviously being most expensive followed by the Pure and then the Maxx. I just want to make sure i'm not over paying for something on the Turbo that I may not really need.

Another idea is the Nexus 5x. It's a smaller phone, it will get updates faster, it's well-priced. It will be missing the Moto specific apps and gestures (twist to open camera), but many of the Moto specific features are duplicated in Marshmallow. With fast charging/turbo charging batteries, I'm not sure that having a huge battery is the feature it was back when you bought in 2013 (and obviously you have lived well with a small battery phone if you had that Moto X.) When the charge is low, you can plug in and get hours of battery time in just a few minutes of charging. If you know that you're often away from a chance to charge, then maybe the Turbo 2 is a great choice, but if you commute in a car and can plug in then, or work at a desk where you can plug in for a few minutes every once in a while, I would think that the Moto X Pure and the Nexus 5x would be fine for you.

perezs07

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
That's where I bought and (returned) mine. I thought the rubbery silicon was gonna be grippy. It wasn't, so that with the size of it made it real slippery.

perezs07

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I wish the droid turbo 2 would've differentiated itself more from the other Moto devices {back] cause it really is in class by its self.

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
My best friend has the MXPE, and he let me use it quite a bit. Honestly, just as great of a device as the T2. I even had one in the moto maker cart ready to buy until I started reading about the new droid coming. It's just too large for my taste. I'm a holster person, and I'm already having to get used to this large device on my belt compared to the original Droid Maxx.

If updates are that important to you as you say, than don't get the T2, because frankly, you'll be in here in a few weeks complaining that the MXPE has it, why don't we. ;)

I got the T2 instead of the MXPE for the following reasons:
1. Smaller device footprint
2. Larger battery, it's just very important to me to have the biggest battery possible
3. Slow updates are OK, I know I'll be behind the MXPE every time

In the end, the choice is yours, just giving you my thought process.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
...however Motorola seems committed now to providing faster updates....

Where did you see them say that? Motorola seems to be committing less and less to specific dates for anything, particularly for carrier-specific models like the Droids. And their recent update history has been atrocious, even for their unlocked models.

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I had considered the Nexus 5X. I'll check it out again but I think I was turned off by the battery and missing some of the Moto features. If Marshmallow has some of those features then maybe i'll get used to them. Also I kind of want something with 3GB because I feel like it will probably last longer and won't end up feeling outdated as as fast as a 2GB phone.

I do work at a desk so I can charge my phone whenever I need to. I'm probably not away from a charger that much that I would really need a large batter so a smaller batter would probably be ok for me.

Another thing I like about the Moto phones is the ability to have an SD card. I like that the feature is available but it may not be necessary since all my pictures back up to dropbox and google photos. I just like the option for the SD Card which I guess is similar to just liking a larger battery even though it may not be necessary. All of these phones have big enough flaws that are keeping me from choosing one. If it's between the Moto X Pure and the Nexus 5X then the issues would probably be phone size on the Moto X Pure and possible missing features that Moto has, battery and lower end specs like processor and ram.....I guess based on what I just typed, if I can get used to a much larger phone then maybe the Pure would be my choice. Is it sold in any stores? I'd like to be able to hold it or a phone that size.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Where did you see them say that? Motorola seems to be committing less and less to specific dates for anything, particularly for carrier-specific models like the Droids. And their recent update history has been atrocious, even for their unlocked models.

Their last statements (which angered many) was that they were narrowing their focus on what devices they will upgrade (cutting out the Moto X 2014 and older) in order to speed up the upgrades on their current models.

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
My best friend has the MXPE, and he let me use it quite a bit. Honestly, just as great of a device as the T2. I even had one in the moto maker cart ready to buy until I started reading about the new droid coming. It's just too large for my taste. I'm a holster person, and I'm already having to get used to this large device on my belt compared to the original Droid Maxx.

If updates are that important to you as you say, than don't get the T2, because frankly, you'll be in here in a few weeks complaining that the MXPE has it, why don't we. ;)

I got the T2 instead of the MXPE for the following reasons:
1. Smaller device footprint
2. Larger battery, it's just very important to me to have the biggest battery possible
3. Slow updates are OK, I know I'll be behind the MXPE every time

In the end, the choice is yours, just giving you my thought process.

Thanks for your input. It's hard to say how important some things are without using the device. I am still suprised Moto went with such big phones for the Moto X's. I loved the 2013 version because of how small it was but it was still a really good device at the time. I have more time before i'd be able to buy a phone so I will continue to think about it and hopefully be able to check out the Pure in person to see how the size feels.

I'd appreciate it if anyone else has anything to add that could help make a decision.

Patrick Matteson

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I've been using a MXPE for a month and a half and decided to order the DT2 after getting the DT2 and comparing the 2 phones I can't justify paying almost $800 for the 64gb DT2. Battery life is a little better on the DT2 but with my 2.0 QC mobile charger getting extra juice is quick and easy.At first I didn't care for the ips lcd screen over amoled but I've come to like it after using it for over a month.The big plus with the MXPE is the dual stero speakers which are far better the the mono speaker on the DT2. Also the DT2 comes loaded with Verizon bloatware.I ordered mine through Motorola.com and thought I'd get a phone minus all the Verizon bloat ,not the case. I used the first DT and loved it but hated waiting so long for updates,that's why I decided to go with the MXPE. The DT2 is boxed up waiting on FedEx to be returned ! Can't justify paying almost double for this phone at all !

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
. The DT2 is boxed up waiting on FedEx to be returned ! Can't justify paying almost double for this phone at all !

$720+tax is not double $500+tax. Plus I paid $580+tax since I added the accident protection since the MXPE doesn't have the shatterproof display.

If I return my MXPE in favor of a Turbo 2, I will bite the bullet and order thru Verizon so I can get the $200 credit for one of my nearly valueless old smartphones. That will make the prices comparable.

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been using a MXPE for a month and a half and decided to order the DT2 after getting the DT2 and comparing the 2 phones I can't justify paying almost $800 for the 64gb DT2. Battery life is a little better on the DT2 but with my 2.0 QC mobile charger getting extra juice is quick and easy.At first I didn't care for the ips lcd screen over amoled but I've come to like it after using it for over a month.The big plus with the MXPE is the dual stero speakers which are far better the the mono speaker on the DT2. Also the DT2 comes loaded with Verizon bloatware.I ordered mine through Motorola.com and thought I'd get a phone minus all the Verizon bloat ,not the case. I used the first DT and loved it but hated waiting so long for updates,that's why I decided to go with the MXPE. The DT2 is boxed up waiting on FedEx to be returned ! Can't justify paying almost double for this phone at all !

Yea the price is something i'm considering as well. I've never paid for a phone out right so all these prices are expensive to me but paying $624 for the 32 GB is crazy to me. I'm very careful with my things so I don't need the shatterproof screen protection. So the more I think about it the more the DT2 is out.

How is the size of the MXPE to you? Did it take you time to get used to it?

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh, i'm also still considering the LG G4 as well so if anyone has any experience with that please share. I'm interested in that because I think it might be a nice change. I do like the stock android look but i like what LG has done with there UI. Thats also a big phone and checked it out in person but it's hard to tell how it feels in the hand with the security device it's connected to.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
For those on the fence about the full pricing point, you can either contract, Edge, or use Moto Credit for 0% interest.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh, i'm also still considering the LG G4 as well so if anyone has any experience with that please share. I'm interested in that because I think it might be a nice change. I do like the stock android look but i like what LG has done with there UI. Thats also a big phone and checked it out in person but it's hard to tell how it feels in the hand with the security device it's connected to.

I have the G4 and currently using it until the T2 arrives. I had the MXPE as well, but sent it back as I wanted the better battery. The G4 is a decent device and the camera is awesome. I simply like the Moto interface better and not too worried about updates since it's a Verizon device. I know they will come but later than the MXPE but by then the bugs will be worked out. :D

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I have both and love both. Except Moto X is broken now. No idea when replacement will arrive. Using T2 without a case and enjoying the size, weight and battery life.

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I thought about the 5x as well, briefly toyed with the idea of going Project Fi. In the end, I do love the moto features that you speak of, their moto/active display is the best thing since sliced bread IMHO. I don't know if the MXPE is sold in stores. You might want to go look at the LG V10 it's dimensions are: 6.28 x 3.12 x 0.34 in, whereas the XPE is 6.06 x 3.00 x 0.44 in. I don't know what else might be close in size, nexus 6?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon