Weird pop ups just started!

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Just looking for some help buddy that's all. And yes factory data reset is an option. Albeit for me a last resort and for a one week old phone, this is frustrating none the least, I'm sure you'd agree....no?

I agree generally the last resort for sure, but because it's only a week old and you just started setting everything up, I see it as more painless now than later on. This also seems very isolated to me since nobody else is apparently experiencing the same thing. It's very strange that you would have gotten some sort of Malware so fast, but it's obvious you have, so if I were in your position, I think I'd just do it now. But I can empathize with your frustration and would probably be lighting up the forums if I were in your shoes. I just don't want others to think this is somehow a bug native to the phone because it seems like this has nothing inherently to do with the Turbo 2.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Agreed and thanks. I'm always so careful and solely use Google Play for downloads. Trying to figure this out. Thanks again for understanding!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Spam pop ups just started! Ugh!

OK, no third party apps downloaded. Phone just a week old. When opening apps like Tapatalk ...

Just FYI - Tapatalk *is* a third party app. So is avast and lookout. You do obviously have third party apps installed. Perhaps you mean no apps other than pre installed or play store apps? (A third party app is any app that didn't come with the phone.)

I'd try uninstalling or disabling any of the pre installed games that came with the phone that you don't use. See if it's one of them.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Before resorting to a factory reset uninstall all "lesser" apps you've downloaded since you got the phone, especially games and music apps. Well known apps like Nova Launcher, ES File Explorer, IMDB, etc. are probably OK. Then start adding them back, one day at a time and keep lookout for the pop ups.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Before resorting to a factory reset uninstall all "lesser" apps you've downloaded since you got the phone, especially games and music apps. Well known apps like Nova Launcher, ES File Explorer, IMDB, etc. are probably OK. Then start adding them back, one day at a time and keep lookout for the pop ups.
Will do thanks

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd also go into chrome and go into settings and clear data and clear cache. It could just be a web site that you surfed to is being belligerent about popping up ads.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, the quickest and most effective way to get rid of this malware is to FDR and don't restore from a previous Google backup. Set it up as a new phone. Then slowly add whatever apps you want 1 or 2 at a time. If the popups recur, it'll be much easier then to pinpoint which app caused it.

Posted via the Android Central App

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, the quickest and most effective way to get rid of this malware is to FDR and don't restore from a previous Google backup. Set it up as a new phone. Then slowly add whatever apps you want 1 or 2 at a time. If the popups recur, it'll be much easier then to pinpoint which app caused it.

Posted via the Android Central App
If it obvious to set it up as a new phone vice Google restore? Haven't done that before. Thanks.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Pretty obvious. Go into Settings>Backup & reset. Turn off the option to do the automatic Restore. Then do the FDR, from that same screen. then when you phone restarts, like when you first got it, there may be a yes/no question about restoring all your apps(this part not exactly sure on). Answer No.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Spam pop ups just started! Ugh!

...yeah. I merged your threads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo