Robin's Motorola DROID Turbo 2 Thread

Moto0685

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: AC didn't list Turbo 2 in their list

It looks good to me but functions even better like I said looks do not make a smartphone functionality does and the T2 certainly wins in my opinion

Posted via the Android Central App

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: What is your favorite launcher

Those using Nova Prime, have you set up the double tap feature to turn the screen off? And what about turning the screen on, is there a feature to wake the phone by a combination of taps?

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site

If it wasn't a Verizon exclusive and had a Nexus label to it. It would be on the list.

The A9 made the list....really?!?!?!?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

It's not just that the T2 is carrier exclusive - it's also expensive for what you get compared with other phones.

There is also this, from the top of the story:

There's one area in which we've made a very conscious decision to place increased importance — software updates. There have been several high-profile vulnerabilities in recent months, with Heartbleed and Stagefright leading the way. And those are just the ones you've probably heard of. There always will be vulnerabilities in software, and Google and its partners use a multi-layered approach for keeping our devices safe. But keeping the software on your phone up to date — and up to date for the life of your phone — no longer is a luxury. It's a necessity.

We're going to be keeping a closer watch on updates. Are manufacturers pushing monthly security updates? How quickly do they update a phone when there's a new major release of Android? This will weight more heavily on our picks for the best phones going forward.

Droid brand phones (as well as other carrier exclusive phones) are going to be downgraded for that until they show better updates going forward.

Moto0685

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
It's not just that the T2 is carrier exclusive - it's also expensive for what you get compared with other phones.

There is also this, from the top of the story:

Droid brand phones (as well as other carrier exclusive phones) are going to be downgraded for that until they show better updates going forward.

I have had 3 exclusive Verizon phones the HTC Rezound the HTC Droid DNA and now the T2 yes the updates for the all 3 where slow but they did not bonk the phone my LG G2 got to Android OS updates and jelly bean to Kit Kat was alright battery life took a hit but from Kit Kat to lollipop was a disaster completely destroyed the phone so I could care less if this phone ever gets updated it it working great now as for price Samsung highend phones are more expensive and with smaller batteries and limited storage

Last edited:

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site

There's one area in which we've made a very conscious decision to place increased importance — software updates
That's rubbish. The DT2 functions better than any phone I have had leading up to it. You don't buy (or rate) a phone based upon what it will or won't be in a few months, you rate it based upon the way it functions NOW.

Did any of the phones that got the immediate Lollipop update and almost bricked themselves rate higher because they got the update sooner?

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

That's rubbish. The DT2 functions better than any phone I have had leading up to it. You don't buy (or rate) a phone based upon what it will or won't be in a few months, you rate it based upon the way it functions NOW.

Did any of the phones that got the immediate Lollipop update and almost bricked themselves rate higher because they got the update sooner?

Case in point : I had an LG G3 that got lollipoop and it was unusable.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site

No, I have the double tap set to go into the Settings app. I use the power button to turn the screen off, and with Moto display, moving the phone when it's out of its case turns the screen on.

Moto0685

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I could never understand why users are so hoped up on updates that when the come the fourms are full of complaints Samsung fourms are full of complaints and problems after updates in my opinion updates only add new problems that did not exist before the update then your stuck if they would let you roll back then you would not worry yes I have rooted Android phones in the past and used custom roms only because they where such low grade the would not work if you did not but like they say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

You guys didn't read that fully - it's not just android version updates, it's security updates as well. Nexus phones in particular get monthly security updates. Motorola has a very spotty recent history with this. Sad, but true.

I do care about how often my phone will get updated. It's too bad that you all had bad experiences with phone updates, but not so much for me. That's me, not you. Also, if updates are fast, then anything that is problematic will be patched faster anyway.

Android Central, frankly, gets to decide how much weight to put on their reviews. It's ok that you disagree with it. I'm just trying to explain why they don't highly rate a phone like the Turbo 2. For the hardware, it is expensive compared with other phones. It works only on a single carrier. It's unlikely to get speedy security and android version updates, and Verizon in particular has a really bad record updating their Droid brand phones, with the exception of a very brief period in late 2013 . Android Central has decided those are important things to consider.

BTW, Moto0685, I wish you'd use more than one period in your posts. Your sentences are hard to read.

And, lastly: Why do you care whether or not a web site rates your phone as a best one to buy if you love it and it is right for you?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Those using Nova Prime, have you set up the double tap feature to turn the screen off? And what about turning the screen on, is there a feature to wake the phone by a combination of taps?

Yes I have and I don't think there is a way to turn it on like on the LG's

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

You guys didn't read that fully - it's not just android version updates, it's security updates as well. Nexus phones in particular get monthly security updates. Motorola has a very spotty recent history with this. Sad, but true.

I do care about how often my phone will get updated. It's too bad that you all had bad experiences with phone updates, but not so much for me. That's me, not you. Also, if updates are fast, then anything that is problematic will be patched faster anyway.

Android Central, frankly, gets to decide how much weight to put on their reviews. It's ok that you disagree with it. I'm just trying to explain why they don't highly rate a phone like the Turbo 2. For the hardware, it is expensive compared with other phones. It works only on a single carrier. It's unlikely to get speedy security and android version updates, and Verizon in particular has a really bad record updating their Droid brand phones, with the exception of a very brief period in late 2013 . Android Central has decided those are important things to consider.

BTW, Moto0685, I wish you'd use more than one period in your posts. Your sentences are hard to read.

And, lastly: Why do you care whether or not a web site rates your phone as a best one to buy if you love it and it is right for you?

Because we want them to feel the way we do lol

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Got my designed one and returned the other one

Long story but I got my designed turbo 2... Cinnamon colored ballistic back with champagne accent and grey and black phone

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Nova Prime user here. Love it to death. However, I had to select the Aggressive desktop feature because I got a bit of lag/redraw when using the horizontal flip animation while swiping through home-screens. Works like a charm now.

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

Nova Prime user here. Love it to death. However, I had to select the Aggressive desktop feature because I got a bit of lag/redraw when using the horizontal flip animation while swiping through home-screens. Works like a charm now.

I'll do that

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

i stopped putting any faith in AC reviews whenever they totally glossed over the fact that the galaxy nexus got terrible reception.
further more all my phones on verizon get regular security updates. i am so over getting bad updates just for the sake of getting an update. ALL updates should be my choice with the option to roll back PERIOD . i dont need a hand held computer that i use to run my business having software forced on it that breaks key functions. everybody thats screaming for updates must only use there phone for social media.

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

i stopped putting any faith in AC reviews whenever they totally glossed over the fact that the galaxy nexus got terrible reception.
further more all my phones on verizon get regular security updates. i am so over getting bad updates just for the sake of getting an update. ALL updates should be my choice with the option to roll back PERIOD . i dont need a hand held computer that i use to run my business having software forced on it that breaks key functions. everybody thats screaming for updates must only use there phone for social media.

Well said

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Easy answer why: it's a carrier exclusive.

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes things take a while to load

For instance posts from play store or AC. Is it because they are being accessed alot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12