Apps Safe to Disable/Delete on the DROID TURBO 2?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What carrier software have you disabled with no issues?

What carrier-included games and apps have you disabled or deleted?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Anything that the system let's toy disable in the application manager should be ok. System apps can't be disabled

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
*Master List of Disabled Apps to Maximize Performance and Battery Life*

My main reason for rooting a non-Nexus phone is to, of course, remove the bloatware. It really does significantly increase the phones speed because many of the bloat apps persist in the phone's active RAM (and cache) until the phone's RAM capacity is fully in use, then Android automatically kills off processes that it deems low in priority to make room for the processes one demands. This is the main reason behind Why Task Killers Are Useless

I have much experience changing the suffix of the apks via root explorer to remove bloat, as I have with my OG Droid, Droid X and various other Verizon phones that my friends had. I made an aggressive list in the developer section of the Droid 3 for Corey, (http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-3-rooting-roms-hacks/117817-droid-3-apps-safe-remove-once-rooted.html#post1234181) which he added to his post. However, Google's App menu does not allow every app to be disabled. Most can.

I have tested all of these, and the device is proven to work without damaging or preventing the phone from running correctly.

This does NOT require root, and is a perfect solution to those who want to de-bloat and not have to root their phones.

*If you use any of these apps ie: Google Music then obviously do not disable. This is just a list of the apps that are able to be disabled:

Android Version: 5.1.1
System Version: 23.31.23.kinzie_verizon.verizon.en.us
Kernel Version: 3.10.49-perf-ge851b65

Amazon
Amazon Kindle
Amazon Music
Android Live Wallpapers
Android Work Assistant
Appstore (Amazon)
Audible
Audio Effects (may help with external speaker volume issues)
Badger
Basic Daydreams
Black Hole (Live wallpaper)
BrowserMessage
Bubbles (Live wallpaper)
Calculator
Calendar (Native phone calendar) Note: Do not disable calendar storage
Camera (Stock)
Caller Name ID (Trial caller id)
Chrome
Clock (Stock)
Cloud (Verizon)
Cloud Print
Command Center (Motorola command center widget)
Connect (Moto)
Com.android.wallpaper.holospiral (Live wallpaper engine for holospiral)
Com.verizon.permissions.appdirecte...
Com.verizon.permissions.vzwappapn (Engine for vzw apn)
Com.verizon.vzwavs
Drive (Google)
Droid Zap
DT Ignite
Email
Gmail
Google App (Google Now/Search)
Google+
Google Hindi Input
Google Japanese Input
Google Keyboard
Google Korean Input
Google Pinyin Input
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Hangouts (Google)
IMDB (International Movie Data Base)
Help (On screen tips)
Loop
Maps
Message+
Messaging
Mobile Hotspot
Moto (App suite)
Moto Actions
Moto Display
Moto Voice
Motorola Flip Case (For use exclusively with the Motorola flip case phone case)
Music Visualization Wallpapers
My Verizon Mobile
NFL Mobile
Phase Beam
Photos (Google. Both of them)
Photo Screensavers
Print Spooler
Setup (Checklist for first time phone setup)
Setup Wizard (Another first time phone setup wizard/checklist)
Slacker Radio
SmartcardService
Street View (Now standalone app to view pictures of locations taken by satellite)
Sound Recorder (Never any native option to record memos on Android anyway)
Support & Protection (Vzw's Android antivirus)
Tags (For use with NFC)
TalkBack (Accessibility feature)
Trusted Face (For facial unlocking of phone)
User Dictionary (Stored phrases for stock keyboard)
Verizon Location Agent (Separate location tracker for Vzw apps)
Verizon Login (Vzw apps still work even without this)
Vz Navigator (Vzw own, inferior GPS/Navigator)
vzw_api (Used for various Vzw branded bloat apps)
VZWAPN (Unnecessary. Used for various Vzw branded bloat apps)
Wallet (Google)
YouTube

That's my list so far. If anybody has any questions please feel free to ask.
If anybody has anything to add, please PM me or post. Thank you!

Last edited:

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: *Master List of Disabled Apps to Maximize Performance and Battery Life*

Great list. Thanks for the work and sharing.

cjp39

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, great idea for a thread, and great post. Why in the heck no one thought of this sooner is beyond me. Someone should create a website with the info for each phone and/or O/S.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, great idea for a thread, and great post. Why in the heck no one thought of this sooner is beyond me. Someone should create a website with the info for each phone and/or O/S.

We try to do this for every carrier phone.

FiniC

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I just got the Turbo 2 this past weekend and I always remove or disable anything I know I'm never going to use. And just yesterday I've been reading that DT Ignite is one thing I definitely want to disable, however, when I go to Settings, Apps, select DT Ignite and select Disable and tell it OK , then just asks if I want to replace this app with the factory version? And the only choices are Cancel or OK. So if I tell it ok, what happens? Doesn't seem like this will disable it. Am I missing something?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I just got the Turbo 2 this past weekend and I always remove or disable anything I know I'm never going to use. And just yesterday I've been reading that DT Ignite is one thing I definitely want to disable, however, when I go to Settings, Apps, select DT Ignite and select Disable and tell it OK , then just asks if I want to replace this app with the factory version? And the only choices are Cancel or OK. So if I tell it ok, what happens? Doesn't seem like this will disable it. Am I missing something?

Yes, you have to uninstall the first play store update for any pre installed app in order to disable it.

frankemtp

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering if anyone has prepared a list 📃 of the utility of each of the apps on the list and can share it? I have disabled the vast majority of apps on the list and am quite satisfied with the results.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok time for a dumb question: by disabling these listed apps, does reselecting the app re-enable it? There are many here I use and am not sure if disabling makes sense.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
When you go back into Settings/Apps and scroll all the way to the right you will see the list of disabled apps. Clicking on any of those apps gives you the option to Enable. I wouldn't disable apps that you will use from time to time.

catstide

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Aight,,,I did a bunch of the disabling and deleting of worthless stuff. One pretty cool feature was sacrificed in the process (oops). It was when you came close to your phone,or moved it, a screen came on with the the time and you could unlock from there. I think it used the proximity sensor. Can someone tell me with app that was?

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Aight,,,I did a bunch of the disabling and deleting of worthless stuff. One pretty cool feature was sacrificed in the process (oops). It was when you came close to your phone,or moved it, a screen came on with the the time and you could unlock from there. I think it used the proximity sensor. Can someone tell me with app that was?

That's Moto display, re-enable that, or the Moto app, or just anything Moto to be safe.