Apps Safe to Disable/Delete on the DROID TURBO 2?

grofflance

May 14, 2016
Visit site
I bought 2 new Turbo 2 phones for myself and my wife. Hers is white mine is gray. I did the updates on both but the app menu is different. The white one shows many more apps. Also at the top the white one shows "DOWNLOADED, RUNNING, ALL, DISABLED," and they scroll across. Mine the gray one does not it only shows a drop down menu with ALL APPS, ENABLED, DISABLED. The white phone shows way more apps especially the ones on your list of bloat app. I want to get rid of the on the black phone, but I can't if I can;t see them.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I bought 2 new Turbo 2 phones for myself and my wife. Hers is white mine is gray. I did the updates on both but the app menu is different. The white one shows many more apps. Also at the top the white one shows "DOWNLOADED, RUNNING, ALL, DISABLED," and they scroll across. Mine the gray one does not it only shows a drop down menu with ALL APPS, ENABLED, DISABLED. The white phone shows way more apps especially the ones on your list of bloat app. I want to get rid of the on the black phone, but I can't if I can;t see them.

You have Marshmallow (Android version 6.0) on yours and she still has Lollipop (version 5.1.1)? Check for sure in settings / about phone.

grofflance

May 14, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. I thought that might have been an issue cause I was in the process of updating hers still. Only had 1 of the 2 updates installed. Now having the Marshmallow will it make it that I can't disable some of the bloat apps since I can't see them on the menu, or are they just there anymore?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
You may want to list what you don't see anymore. It's possible that they are now gone.

That list is *very* aggressive, BTW. I'd be careful to disable only the things that you know you don't want.

gotroot801

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I disabled "Inductive Charging", and the only change is it no longer pops up the screen to let me know the phone is charging when I drop it on my Qi charger.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You may want to list what you don't see anymore. It's possible that they are now gone.

That list is *very* aggressive, BTW. I'd be careful to disable only the things that you know you don't want.

Yes it is.

If you're a novice user or around average, you don't want to mess too much. I mean, if you hate the NFL or would never use it, that's safe. No brainer. Heck I love the NFL and delete it because I have no need for it. I have NFLN on my TV and I'm usually home for the games anyway.

But when in doubt, just leave it unless you consider yourself above average. You don't have to be an expert, but you need to know what you're doing when you do it and why you're deleting it. If you can't answer that question beyond, "This list told me to," you probably should be very cautious.

(However, if the answer is "Because doogald told me to," you're usually safe, LOL!)

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting interested in the Droid Turbo 2. I know that it doesn't have a notification light, but i'd like to know if the "always on" lock screen will work with a third party email app, and a third party messaging app. Thanks for any help.:p

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
As far as I can tell, alert icons from pretty much any of the apps I've got installed work fine on the lock screen. I use the Nine email app for MS Exchange Server email support, and Textra for SMS / MMS, and they both work fine, with notifications showing properly on the lock screen.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I use Mail.Ru for my email, and Textra for my messaging. I've been with AT&T for about 12 years, but i think that it's time for a change. I get 1 tiny bar on my Note 4 for the internet, but my daughter and son-in-law both get 3 solid bars with Verizon(the test was done inside my home, which is made of cement block). Here in sw Fl., AT&T is good, but Verizon is better. They both have iPhones, but being an android guy, i'm really going for that Droid Turbo 2. I want to keep the ext. sd card slot, and add the wifi calling option. Thanks again for your help.:p

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
O.K., so will that feature be added in an update? I know it wasn't on the maxx 2.

Verizon hasn't announced whether it will or will not. As of now, only the iPhone 6 and newer, the Galaxy S6 and newer, the Note 5, the HTC 10, and the LG G4 and newer support wifi calling.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
After doing some research, mostly on xda-dev., i know that wifi calling can be added to a phone via an ota upgrade. Now, i'm hoping that it happens before i switch carriers, and go with verizon. I've had all those phones that you've mentioned, and i'm ready to try a moto. I remember that, at the time, my razr was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and i want that feeling again. The moto droid turbo 2 is my phone of choice, but maybe there will be a turbo 3 in the near future. I've never had wifi calling, and i want it, but it's not going to be a deal breaker for me. I'm stubborn(i guess that it's a Celtic thing), so i'll be switching carriers in the near future. :p

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, at the risk if furthering this off topic, Google Voice works over wifi. You just need to set up a Google Voice number. It worked fine on my 2013 Moto X.

I also thought wifi calling worked with the VZW Messaging app on this phone. Haven't tried it yet though.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
We already know that the Droid for 2016 will be the Moto Z Droid Edition and the Moto Z Force Droid Edition. It's supposed to be on pre sale soon, released sometime this summer. Not sure if it has wifi calling at release; I suspect it will get it before the Turbo 2, but we'll see what happens.

I have an iPhone with wifi calling - I think it's great. Yes, it would need an ota update, but my point is that Verizon hasn't announced if or when the T2 will get it.

See http://m.androidcentral.com/moto-z-droid-motomods-unboxing for more info about the new Droids. (They look like better phones to me than the T2.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance