Is there a Notification LED on the DROID TURBO 2?

Kaysc28

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Actually....the blinking green light above my Turbo 2 at moment begs to differ.... There is an LED, but it's not used for normal notifications unless phone is rooted. My phone is currently a brick from where new Marshmallow screwed it up and it will not charge properly. Just a heads up...do not upgrade to 6.0 yet....wait until they get the bugs worked out. I spent an hour at Verizon yesterday dealing with it only to be told my phone was fried and they are sending me a "like new" refurbished one. Not happy about this....

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Actually....the blinking green light above my Turbo 2 at moment begs to differ.... There is an LED, but it's not used for normal notifications unless phone is rooted. My phone is currently a brick from where new Marshmallow screwed it up and it will not charge properly. Just a heads up...do not upgrade to 6.0 yet....wait until they get the bugs worked out. I spent an hour at Verizon yesterday dealing with it only to be told my phone was fried and they are sending me a "like new" refurbished one. Not happy about this....

Sorry to see this. I've upgraded 3 turbo 2's so far. The first two were fine, and the third needed the Verizon Software Upgrade Assistant - which was a flakey process in itself, but eventually worked.

Did you get the impression that the folks you were dealing with at Verizon were especially knowledgeable? Sometimes success depends on WHO helps you -- not the venue itself. Being behind the counter at a Verizon store doesn't necessarily mean that you've landed the sharpest support person.

Curious: did you try things like a factory data reset ("FDR"), or running the "repair assistant" portion of the Verizon Software Update Assistant application? If the phone isn't physically damaged, these could potentially get you back to a "new" state.

BulkangUAntibop

May 30, 2016
Visit site
I can confirm that also on my rooted Droid Turbo / Moto Maxx xt1250 there is indeed a usable bright green-only LED light sandwiched uncomfortably between the light and proximity sensors for the selfie lens. Someone has described it as crescent-shaped, but it only appears that way because it shares the same round aperture as the square light sensor. It has no separate aperture cut into the enamel, which makes me think it's either vestigial or an afterthought or perhaps used only for premarket testing purposes. I haven't yet gotten it to blink or fade or anything fancy, just turn on and off in response to notifications from various apps.
-Have a great one!

Wren Stimpy

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Yes, there are two LEDs. They are used as the flash on the rear camera. They CAN be accessed via rooting. They are ONE color. White. Dimmable, each. The D2 hasnt been rooted yet.

There is no Droid Turbo 2 blinking light anywhere on the device. Post a pic of it LIT, or it didnt happen.

There is no square sensor of any type on the DT2

Last edited by a moderator:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If the Turbo 2 is like every other high end Moto device since the Moto X, it should have an LED that lights when the battery charge is too low to actually turn the display on. When you plug in in that condition, the LED lets you know that the phone is charging but that it cannot turn on the display if you press the power button until the LED goes out. As others (including me) have said, without rooting the phone, it cannot be used to show unread notifications.

ChuckLIII

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
If the Turbo 2 is like every other high end Moto device since the Moto X, it should have an LED that lights when the battery charge is too low to actually turn the display on.

That reminds me of a story Scott Adams wrote in the foreword to one of his Dilbert books. There was a company CEO who asked at a meeting why a device they built and sold couldn't have a light that came on to tell the user that the battery was dead.

SEPA30

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
I have a green led light that is appearing on my phone. I've never seen it before and when I go to charge the phone, I heard a slight buzzing sound. I know I was out in high heat this weekend and the phone died on my while I was out. It is the buzzing I hear when I try to charge it that concerns me. When you have seen the green led light, and have gone to charge the phone, did you hear a buzzing as well?

SEPA30

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
When have you seen it? I'm seeing it now for the first time. My phone is dead so I went to charge it and it starts to buzz. I unplugged right away because it doesn't sound right.

Daniel Harrell

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
Re: LED notification?

Well then I'm glad we have the option to change to color of non existent leds
I just got a Droid turbo 2 and I went to customize my messaging app and it asked for led color I searched for a few minutes and couldn't believe their isn't one all the money on r and d and they can't get this right?

Toxonuts

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
The Turbo 2 does not have an LED. It uses Moto Display to show notifications.

Just coming here to tell you that there is ABSOLUTELY three total indicator lights on this phone. At the very bottom of the phone, I have seen two red lights, one in the left and right corner. I have also seen a green light appear in the upper area of the phone before. This is my 3rd Turbo 2 and I've actually disassembled my phone for a battery replacement so I don't think I'm crazy here...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Just coming here to tell you that there is ABSOLUTELY three total indicator lights on this phone. At the very bottom of the phone, I have seen two red lights, one in the left and right corner. I have also seen a green light appear in the upper area of the phone before. This is my 3rd Turbo 2 and I've actually disassembled my phone for a battery replacement so I don't think I'm crazy here...

And as has been repeated by many people correctly on this thread, unfortunately for people who want a notification LED, none of these things that you have found can be used as a notification LED unless you root the phone. As I said previously, Motorola since the Moto X tended to include an LED that lights only when you plug in a completely discharged phone; as soon as the phone is charged enough to power on, the LED turns off. That's it. It cannot be re-purposed to become a notification LED.

The red lights you may be seeing in the corners are (I believe) proximity infrared lights and sensors that are meant to turn on the active display lock screen when they sense you waving your hand in front of the display - one of the Moto Actions gestures that the Turbo 2 supports.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams