Constantly losing cellular connection

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
This problem is getting very annoying. My phone will lose its 4G connection every few minutes. This is happening in places where it was never a problem with my Droid MAXX. When it loses 4G, it doesn't immediately switch to 3G and I start getting error messages about network unavailability if I am using it at the time. Anyone else experience this?

Posted via the Android Central App

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
This problem is getting very annoying. My phone will lose its 4G connection every few minutes. This is happening in places where it was never a problem with my Droid MAXX. When it loses 4G, it doesn't immediately switch to 3G and I start getting error messages about network unavailability if I am using it at the time. Anyone else experience this?

What is your network selection? Is it set to Global?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It may be a SIM card issue. I'd think about going into a VZW corporate store and see if you can get a replacement SIM card.

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
You could try powering down the phone, and taking the sim card out and putting it back in.

GumboChief

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar issue. It will knock out my wifi (as well) at the same time. Happens every couple of days, and fixes itself 5 minutes later.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Chatted with VZW and had them reactivate the SIM that shipped with the phone. We will see what happens. He said that if the problem persisted, they would send me a new phone.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Since swapping SIM cards, I have had one instance while watching Netflix where it dropped cell signal and it would not return. I tried switching preferred networks, airplane mode, and nothing other than a restart work. It hasn't happened again.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's done it a couple more times. Looks like I'm going to have to have Verizon send me a new phone. If there is a defective product made, I'm sure to be the one that gets it. That's just my luck.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Good luck getting a replacement phone if you used the "Designed by You" option when you ordered. I've been bounced back and forth between Verizon and Motorola several times. Verizon said I was set to call M to get a new phone shipped to me; all I had to do was call them. M said not so fast, I needed a location code from V. Called V back and they couldn't get M on the phone and were supposed to call me back. Several hours pass and no return call. Really poor customer service.

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Good luck getting a replacement phone if you used the "Designed by You" option when you ordered. I've been bounced back and forth between Verizon and Motorola several times. Verizon said I was set to call M to get a new phone shipped to me; all I had to do was call them. M said not so fast, I needed a location code from V. Called V back and they couldn't get M on the phone and were supposed to call me back. Several hours pass and no return call. Really poor customer service.

I agree... Hope you get it sorted out.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The latest BS is that VZW told me that Motorola would ship me out a new phone right away, and as soon as I got it I would ship my old phone back to them. Motorola says no- there are 2 options: They charge you $24.99 (non-refundable) and put a $500 hold on your credit card to ship you a phone, and then you ship the old one back or: They send you a shipping label that you take to a Fedex storeand get a shipping sticker and once they get your phone they will make and ship you a new one. Good thing I still have my Droid MAXX. Verizon and Motorola obviously have some severe communication issues.

BTW, the problem with my phone is getting worse. The cell network drops are becoming more frequent and have twice now required a phone restart to get the cell network back.

NOW I am getting pissed off.... on the phone with Motorola and they are telling me they are going to ship me a "like new" device. I told them no- I ordered the phone on the 6th and only received it Tuesday. Today is Friday. I want a NEW phone, not a LIKE NEW replacement. WTF, over!!!!???

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
The latest BS is that VZW told me that Motorola would ship me out a new phone right away, and as soon as I got it I would ship my old phone back to them. Motorola says no- there are 2 options: They charge you $24.99 (non-refundable) and put a $500 hold on your credit card to ship you a phone, and then you ship the old one back or: They send you a shipping label that you take to a Fedex storeand get a shipping sticker and once they get your phone they will make and ship you a new one. Good thing I still have my Droid MAXX. Verizon and Motorola obviously have some severe communication issues.

BTW, the problem with my phone is getting worse. The cell network drops are becoming more frequent and have twice now required a phone restart to get the cell network back.

NOW I am getting pissed off.... on the phone with Motorola and they are telling me they are going to ship me a "like new" device. I told them no- I ordered the phone on the 6th and only received it Tuesday. Today is Friday. I want a NEW phone, not a LIKE NEW replacement. WTF, over!!!!???

I would only deal with Verizon

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
...and now I am having to go over every bit of troubleshooting I have done over the last two days yet again with another Verizon rep..... and try to explain to them that Motorola refuses to ship out a new, replacement phone.......

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, see this thread on the Moto forum. https://forums.motorola.com/posts/d138de8b78

He had a similar experience to yours. Posted on that thread and finally had somebody handle it right.

Honestly, I'd be fine with a $500 credit hold. It's only until they get the phone back from you. $25 for a swap on a defective unit within the 14 day return is a PITA though, although it's still cheaper than returning and paying a $35 "restocking fee" to Verizon.

So, maybe post a similar thread on the Moto forums detailing all of the frustrations you've had to deal with?

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, see this thread on the Moto forum. https://forums.motorola.com/posts/d138de8b78

He had a similar experience to yours. Posted on that thread and finally had somebody handle it right.

Honestly, I'd be fine with a $500 credit hold. It's only until they get the phone back from you. $25 for a swap on a defective unit within the 14 day return is a PITA though, although it's still cheaper than returning and paying a $35 "restocking fee" to Verizon.

So, maybe post a similar thread on the Moto forums detailing all of the frustrations you've had to deal with?

Even then, the $500 credit hold is for a "like new" phone (refurbished), and you do not get a refund for the $24.99 charge. FAIL Motorola. FAIL Verizon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke