11-24-2015 01:19 AM
35 12
tools
    Hi Guys

I am wanting to buy a new handset and I was going to get the Style/Pure but now the Force has been launched in the UK and I believe it is the Droid 2 Turbo in the States so now it is between the Style and the Force

I do like.a glass screen and I know the Force isn't glass so is the screen surface still nice to use and one thing I read was that a reviewer could see the outline of the top layer all round the phone so is that true and how is that does it look ok.

The Style has a lot going for it but the battery life on it does bother me so the bigger battery on the Force is really appealing, as for shatterproof I am not that bothered but of course I would be if I dropped it

The Force is £150 more than the Style and I just wonder if it's worth it, I know it has better specs and it would be my first Motorola phone and a phone without any bloat on it which appeals to me so I will spend the extra if it is a better phone as I will be keeping it a good while.

What is the screen like does the plastic detract from the display or does the display look vibrant and lovely as I like a nice bright display and is the ballistic nylon a good backing to have, does it look and feel good.

Any user opinions would be much appreciated especially if compared to your previous phones as at present I have an Xperia Z3 and it is great and I know I don't need a new phone but I am weak and I like trying new phones especially a pure Android phone.

Oh I nearly forgot how is the audio as I believe they have just one speaker on this phone compared to the two on the Style, it does seem a bit of a strange decision!

Many thanks in advance
    11-17-2015 05:21 AM
    For me the turbo2 has been a great phone. I got it on release day.

The first thing i noticed about the x play (which is like the maxx 2 here i believe) is that it loses a couoke of motos options. My daughters maxx2 does not "breath" the time until you have a notification of some kind also the chop feature for the flashlight is not there.

As for screen quality i was coming from a note5 which is a top screen right now. I noticed a difference, but it wasn't enough to matter to me. The quad display with the plastic screen is still a beautiful and vibrant screen. Touch sensitivity is comparable to an lcd w screen protector on it.. Which is to say still great.

The one speaker sounds good to me, a big improvement over last years turbo.

As far as being able to see the edge of the screen, that depends on how picky you are. I can see it when i am looking for it, but i have a slim case on my phone because the phone is so slippery.

Good luck w your choice, either phone should suit you fine.

One more thing, if the play is like the maxx2 with same battery you should get awesome battery life, maybe even a little better than the force..

Moto Droid Turbo 2
    11-17-2015 06:09 AM
    Thanks for those positive comments and the single speaker isn't really an issue as such as I rarely use the phone speakers I just want to know that it is a quality phone with a cracking display, oh the other Moto I am considering is the Pure and not the Play so the Pure battery is a fair bit smaller than the Force.

I know there are pros and cons with all phones there just isn't the perfect phone but a great quality bright display and great battery life are important to me, I did fancy the slightly bigger display on the Pure at 5.7" but I suppose there isn't much difference between the Pure and the Force
    11-17-2015 06:30 AM
    Some people say there isn't a big difference in the screen quality between the force/T2 and the Pure but I disagree. Full disclosure, I've had the Pure for two months and only played with four different T2s for about thirty minutes. I found the T2 screen to be dim and almost dingy. Some reviews have agreed with that. Others have not. You may never notice without a direct comparison. But the larger battery with the Force is nice compensation.
    11-17-2015 08:00 AM
    Some people say there isn't a big difference in the screen quality between the force/T2 and the Pure but I disagree. Full disclosure, I've had the Pure for two months and only played with four different T2s for about thirty minutes. I found the T2 screen to be dim and almost dingy. Some reviews have agreed with that. Others have not. You may never notice without a direct comparison. But the larger battery with the Force is nice compensation.
    Thanks for that I do like a bright quality screen so if the Force isn't bright and is a bit dingy then that would be enough to put me off the Force even if it does have a bigger battery I would cope with the Pures smaller battery for a better screen as I do watch Netflix on my phone so the screen is really important to me.
    11-17-2015 08:11 AM
    I wouldn't go by benjamminh's word on the screen. It's all in what you're comparing the phone to. For me, it is an awesome screen compared to my older Droid Maxx. With that said, I got to put my DT2 side by side with my friends MXPE, and yes, the MXPE's screen is brighter. That's really all I could notice. It's all about compromise though, the DT2 was a different design intent, you can drop it and the screen won't break. Don't even think about putting the MXPE through the same torture the DT2 can withstand.

As far as your concerns about how the plastic screen looks, people nitpick. It looks fine, yes, there is a line around the outside, so what? Once again, show me another phone you can drop off a ladder face down onto concrete and the screen won't break.

So in the end, you have the DT2 (force) with the larger battery, wireless charging, shatterproof screen vs the less expensive MXPE (style) with a nicer screen, smaller battery, no wireless charging. It's all up to you. I went with the DT2 because it has features that truly matter to me, large battery, shatterproof screen.
    11-17-2015 08:20 AM
    I wouldn't go by benjamminh's word on the screen. It's all in what you're comparing the phone to. For me, it is an awesome screen compared to my older Droid Maxx. With that said, I got to put my DT2 side by side with my friends MXPE, and yes, the MXPE's screen is brighter. That's really all I could notice. It's all about compromise though, the DT2 was a different design intent, you can drop it and the screen won't break. Don't even think about putting the MXPE through the same torture the DT2 can withstand.

As far as your concerns about how the plastic screen looks, people nitpick. It looks fine, yes, there is a line around the outside, so what? Once again, show me another phone you can drop off a ladder face down onto concrete and the screen won't break.

So in the end, you have the DT2 (force) with the larger battery, wireless charging, shatterproof screen vs the less expensive MXPE (style) with a nicer screen, smaller battery, no wireless charging. It's all up to you. I went with the DT2 because it has features that truly matter to me, large battery, shatterproof screen.
    Thanks and I agree with your points and as for the line around the edge I just wondered what it looked like but I know it wouldn't bother me, the problem we have here in the UK is nobody has this phone or the Style etc to go and look at so you really have no idea how they look and feel in the flesh, the only way I will know is actually ordering one with a UK retailer so I am just trying to get some user opinions before I decide
    11-17-2015 08:27 AM
    Thanks and I agree with your points and as for the line around the edge I just wondered what it looked like but I know it wouldn't bother me, the problem we have here in the UK is nobody has this phone or the Style etc to go and look at so you really have no idea how they look and feel in the flesh, the only way I will know is actually ordering one with a UK retailer so I am just trying to get some user opinions before I decide
    Yup, I gotcha. I got lucky in that my best friend got the MXPE when it came out, so I got to use it a bit and see what it was like. Then, on launch day, I went to a VZW store and played with the DT2. When I got home, I ordered my personalized DT2 show below.
    Owners can I ask you a few questions-img_20151104_151405798_hdr.jpgOwners can I ask you a few questions-img_20151104_151419393_hdr.jpg
    11-17-2015 08:34 AM
    Got my DT2 Saturday, wonderful phone btw, highly recommend it. Back to the matter of the line around the edge, I had the Verizon rep install the Verizon "flexible glass" screen protector and then put it in a Tumi case and now there is no line even with the screen protector (I know the screen is shatter proof but I'm anal when it comes to scratches.) It may be all in my head, and I guess that's what matters, but the screen seems clearer and has the tempered glass fell to it. Highly recommended.
    Of course as all ways YMMV.
    11-17-2015 09:09 AM
    Yup, I gotcha. I got lucky in that my best friend got the MXPE when it came out, so I got to use it a bit and see what it was like. Then, on launch day, I went to a VZW store and played with the DT2. When I got home, I ordered my personalized DT2 show below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151104_151405798_HDR.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	363.7 KB 
ID:	206091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151104_151419393_HDR.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	421.5 KB 
ID:	206092
    Wow that looks great I love the colour is that the nylon backing and if so how does it feel, also you say the DT 2 isn't as bright as the Pure but if you whack up the brightness slider does it have a decent brightness to it? You see the bigger battery is a real pull for me.

Thanks
    11-17-2015 09:12 AM
    Wow that looks great I love the colour is that the nylon backing and if so how does it feel, also you say the DT 2 isn't as bright as the Pure but if you whack up the brightness slider does it have a decent brightness to it? You see the bigger battery is a real pull for me.

Thanks
    Yes, it's the nylon backing, I like it better than the soft touch. There's more texture to it and should allow for a better grip.

As for the brightness, here's the experiment I did with my phone and my friend's. First, I turned off adaptive brightness on both phones, then I put both phones to maximum brightness, and yes, the MXPE's display was brighter. However, the DT2 is still plenty bright for my taste, and comparing it to my old Droid Maxx, the DT2 blows it away. As I said, you can always find something bigger, faster, brighter, etc. The DT2's screen will not shatter, that was the main design intent. Not to be the brightest or prettiest, but it still looks good.
    11-17-2015 09:32 AM
    I've seen several references to the Turbo2 screen as being "Dimmer" or "Dingier" in reviews and comments.

I have to say I don't see it.

I was particularly concerned about this because I impulse purchased it online without looking at them in person and didn't see the reviews until after it was on the way.

I have been pleasantly surprised with the screen. I don't think I have sacrificed anything for the shatterproof feature. The display is crisp, bright, and looks great. Holding it up to my Turbo1 and my wife's Note 4, the Turbo2 looks just as bright. Colors look great. Also, the Note and the Turbo1 both have a slight yellowish tint when I hold them side by side with the Turbo2.

Don't let display reviews be the thing that scares you away.
    Turbo II likes this.
    11-17-2015 09:45 AM
    I echo tlacour's final statement, it sums up what I was trying to say very nicely. Don't be discouraged about the "poor display reviews".
    11-17-2015 10:10 AM
    I have to agree on the display. Against my wife's DT1, my whites are whiter and blacks are blacker. Colors are vibrant. My wife's whites have a yellowish tint..

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-17-2015 11:23 AM
    I agree the display is just fine, I hade an LG optimus V way back in 2010 with a plastic screen, and was horrible display, and under 4 inches, so I was scepticle about the screen also, and it is beyond my expections. I am having no issue viewing the phone even in direct sunlight set at 70% brightness.

11-17-2015 11:28 AM
    I have to agree on the display. Against my wife's DT1, my whites are whiter and blacks are blacker. Colors are vibrant. My wife's whites have a yellowish tint..
    She's just using a poor detergent.
    strawbee, doogald and elvee68 like this.
    11-17-2015 11:50 AM
    well that's great to get all these positive reviews especially about the screen brightness and I haven't read many reviews anyway just yet but what I have read is that nobody said the screen was dingy at all

I just need to get my head around the £150 price difference and what memory size to go for!
    11-17-2015 12:25 PM
    well that's great to get all these positive reviews especially about the screen brightness and I haven't read many reviews anyway just yet but what I have read is that nobody said the screen was dingy at all

I just need to get my head around the £150 price difference and what memory size to go for!
    I have a 32 gb and put a 64 gb memory card in...once Marsh hits watch out

11-17-2015 12:36 PM
    I have a 32 gb and put a 64 gb memory card in...once Marsh hits watch out

What do you mean watch out when marsh hits?
    11-17-2015 12:38 PM
    Owners can I ask you a few questions-1200992a-3495-4478-bf61-62c9f3e2de38.jpegOwners can I ask you a few questions-img_2142.jpg
    This is my beauty.
    I have a UAG case on it.
    The designed options were the copper color ballistic nylon.
    11-17-2015 12:51 PM
    I meant watch out in a good way. Marshmallow makes it where the SD card is considered part of the storage. So, 32 plus 64 equals ....
    11-17-2015 12:52 PM
    I meant watch out in a good way. Marshmallow makes it where the SD card is considered part of the storage. So, 32 plus 64 equals ....
    96👍 haha

11-17-2015 12:59 PM
    Ahh ok great so if I have a 16gb Xperia Z3 at present a 32gb Force should be more than enough shouldn't it? So is marsh looking at the SD card in a different way to the previous software?

I really like the bronze nylon back could you post a quick picture as I am sure it looks a bit different to Moto maker, I know it sounds daft but I am thinking of the lime accents with that colour
    11-17-2015 01:02 PM
    Owners can I ask you a few questions-img_2143.jpg
    there you go. I have the champagne accents...love it.
    11-17-2015 01:11 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2143.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	672.7 KB 
ID:	206153
    there you go. I have the champagne accents...love it.
    Oh that is a lovely colour trouble is I don't think I would want to use a case at all as it seems like a rugged monkey do you have extra screen protection?
    11-17-2015 01:22 PM
35 12