Just got my DT2 yesterday. I really like the phone, but I'd love it if I find out there are solutions to my quibbles, listed below:

• The Google search toolbar is at the top of every screen. I need it on just one screen, not on all of them. And I cannot reclaim the space by removing it, that's the worst part.
    • Whenever I type an email address as a username, it auto-inserts a space after the @ sign, or the . before the com. This is a problem with all phones, not just DT2, and perhaps it's linked to the keyboard I'm using, but is there a solution for this?
    • Only one front speaker? Why two speaker holes then? Dumb.
    • My left thumb cannot adjust volume, but that's what I get coming from a Note II. I'll get used to this I guess.
    • The Home screen must be at far left. I'm used to my Home screen being wherever I want it, and I prefer screens to be on the left *and* right. Is there a setting for this?
    • I cannot use screen dots at bottom to jump to screens. If I have 7 screens I have to swipe 6 times to make the last screen display. On my Note II I can just tap the last dot at the bottom to jump to the last screen. And similar for intermediary screens.
    • The above gripe is true for the app drawer as well, and it's worse because there's more screens in the app drawer.

Thanks in advance.
    11-17-2015 09:59 AM
    For most of these, you'll want to try a new launcher.
    eallan likes this.
    11-17-2015 10:06 AM
    Most of your quibbles can be solved using a custom launcher, since the stock one doesn't include those features. If you decide to install a different launcher let us know and we'll try to help you to set it up. My first choice would be Nova.

Edit. Ooooops! I just noticed that Ry posted while I was still writing mine
    11-17-2015 10:13 AM
    In the past, a different launcher could remove the Google search bar, but not restore the space that it used. I don't know if that is still the case.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-17-2015 10:32 AM
    Try Nova Launcher. I've used it for years with no problem. With some tweaking, I think you can get several of your complaints addressed. Also, I think you can adjust the keyboard settings to stop adding spaces after symbols. If it's the same email addresses over and over, you may consider adding them to your personal dictionary with a shortcut. That way you can type a couple letters to autofill the address.
    11-17-2015 10:34 AM
    Whenever I type an email address as a username, it auto-inserts a space after the @ sign, or the . before the com. This is a problem with all phones, not just DT2, and perhaps it's linked to the keyboard I'm using, but is there a solution for this?
    You're using Swiftkey I'm guessing? Easily my biggest gripe with Swiftkey is the auto space after a period when you are typing URIs or email addresses.

I can't remember if this works or not, but what happens if you open the numeric keypad and use the decimal point period instead? Does that still put in the space?

Otherwise, just try the stock Google keyboard and see if you can live with that. Or try another, like Fleksy.

As for the rest, I agree with the recommendation for Nova Launcher. I personally like the Google Now launcher, with a minimal number of homescreens (I have only two), and now, finally, the vertically scrolling app drawer is back again. I use the Google search bar several times a day, so I'm ok with it on every screen. But, for what you want, I'm thinking that Nova Launcher is your best choice.
    dmark44 likes this.
    11-17-2015 11:05 AM
    Thanks all, I'll try Nova.
    dmark44 likes this.
    11-17-2015 11:27 AM
    To make the google search bar go away, press until you get the wallpaper/widgets/setting screen. Press setting and then turn off Google search
    11-18-2015 05:16 PM
    To make the google search bar go away, press until you get the wallpaper/widgets/setting screen. Press setting and then turn off Google search
    now let me say ty for that info . now that i finally got over the search bar and started to embrace they have a way to disable...
    11-18-2015 07:13 PM
    I just started using Nova Prime, and let me say that I wonder why I've waited so long to use it. Wow! I now have a Center Home screen, with a screen to its left and a screen to its right. I've moved the Google search bar to the Right screen.
    dmark44 likes this.
    11-18-2015 07:41 PM
    So can you tell me what Nova is and how to get it?
    11-18-2015 10:06 PM
    Nova Launcher is an app in the Play Store. There is a free version, as well as a paid version. I am using Nova Launcher Prime, the paid version.
    11-18-2015 10:23 PM
    It's funny that if you remove the Google bar the voice button still works... even though it's not visible!

Try it. Just tap the location where the microphone is normally displayed.
    K_Quinn likes this.
    11-19-2015 12:05 AM
    do you have a screen shot of this? When I follow those instructions I don't see any toggle for turning off Google search.
    11-19-2015 08:39 AM
    11-19-2015 11:28 AM
    I have kearned to appreciate the L Launcher. It works and is easily customized. Pay a small fee for full functionality.
    11-19-2015 01:27 PM
    the search bar don't really bother me, but the random suggestions that rotate thru it are annoying. don't see a way to stop them tho.
    11-19-2015 04:32 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-19-11-23-56.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	345.4 KB 
ID:	206406

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-19-11-24-04.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	206407
    Mine doesn't give that option, muddy be because I'm using Google now launcher?

11-19-2015 08:24 PM
    Mine doesn't give that option, muddy be because I'm using Google now launcher?

You definitely cannot get rid of the search bar in the Google Now launcher. This setting is for the stock launcher.
    Ry likes this.
    11-19-2015 09:47 PM
    the search bar don't really bother me, but the random suggestions that rotate thru it are annoying. don't see a way to stop them tho.
    Turn off notifications (Google cards) in the Google now settings.
    11-21-2015 06:46 PM
    Yes the google search bar is annoying - if you remove it you still can't drag the quick enable widget or anything up that spot as the trash takes over.
    11-21-2015 09:24 PM
    I second the Nova launcher, it is one of the few apps I pay for
    11-29-2015 07:12 PM