Who came from a MAXX

jmanches42

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Personally I'm not worried about the 48 hour battery life, I don't mind plugging my phone in before I go to sleep. As long as it gets me through the day I'm good with it, I have no doubt the T2 will accomplish that. My main reason for wanting it is just to get some new tech, I've had my MAXX for over two years and it still runs great... I just want something new to play with. I've been waiting for Motorola to release something new and it has arrived. I looked at the note 5 and 6p but can't give up the reliability of the droid line, they are built to last IMHO. I'm going to throw a screen protector on it and a thin case and try to make it last the next 3 years. Now I just need Verizon to let me buy the damn thing, they keep telling me different dates. I think now is the final answer and that is when my billing cycle resets. ( I'm on the unlimited data plan still)

Posted via the Android Central App

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I had the maxx for about a year, but gave up after having dead microphones on two devices. I liked the maxx form factor better and the kevlar back.

bigrobi24

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a Droid maxx and am trying to convince myself that the Turbo 2 will be worth the upgrade. The problem I'm having is that I have nothing bad to say about the maxx I'm currently using. So...whoever made this jump, does it feel like a huge upgrade?

I went from the Razr Maxx, to the Droid Maxx, and now the Droid Turbo 2. To me, it does not feel like a HUGE upgrade, but it does feel like a pretty good upgrade. I haven't fiddled much with it yet, but here are the first things I noticed with it:

The phone processor is hella quicker.
The screen looks nicer.
The camera is better.
More buying options let you choose a phone that feels comfortable to you (leather, nylon or soft shell).
I like having a stock flashlight come with the phone (I haven't tried the motion controls yet to open it)

As you can see, I only have a short list since I have barely gotten into it.

I can't vouch for the battery yet. My Maxx seems to have lost its edge, and I actually had to plug it in after only half a day yesterday. Admittedly, I was heavily researching what phone I wanted to upgrade to, so I may have had hours of screen time, but the battery just didn't seem to last as long after almost 2 years. I remember using it easily for 2 days and 1 night (~40 hours) back then. I'm reserving my judgement of the new battery right now, but I received it around 3pm today with 53% battery and I'm now at 22% about 10 hours later. To its credit, I did drive 120 miles, so it may have lost some on the trip while looking for signals, but I wasn't using it at all in the car. I'm gonna let it drain down and then give it a full charge tomorrow and test it out the longevity. We all know we can't judge the first charge or 2.

I was worried that I wouldn't like the feel of the new shatterproof screen. I never have shattered a phone, and the shatterproof screen wasn't a selling point for me; I only wanted the battery. I never use screen protectors or cases, so I am used to the feel of stock glass under my fingers. Knowing this came with a screen protector on it, and knowing that I shouldn't remove it, I fiddled with the one at the store, and had no more worries about it. The new one out of the box felt even better than the "dirty" store one. Since I have both of the phones in front of me, I CAN feel a slight difference between the Maxx and the Turbo 2 when sliding across the screen, but it is small enough to not worry about.

When I got the Droid Maxx, I told myself that it was as big of a phone as I ever could use. I almost didn't want to get the Turbo 2, since it was even larger, but I have been too spoiled by battery life with these lines of phones. I just couldn't see myself in an S6 or M9 (which were about the size of the Droid Maxx) and having to charge it midday or when I get home from work. I can just barely use this Turbo 2 one-handed.

Overall though, no complaints and zero buyer's remorse. As long as you are willing to deal with a larger phone, I feel like it is a worthy upgrade.

jmanches42

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I went from the Razr Maxx, to the Droid Maxx, and now the Droid Turbo 2. To me, it does not feel like a HUGE upgrade, but it does feel like a pretty good upgrade. I haven't fiddled much with it yet, but here are the first things I noticed with it:

The phone processor is hella quicker.
The screen looks nicer.
The camera is better.
More buying options let you choose a phone that feels comfortable to you (leather, nylon or soft shell).
I like having a stock flashlight come with the phone (I haven't tried the motion controls yet to open it)

As you can see, I only have a short list since I have barely gotten into it.

I can't vouch for the battery yet. My Maxx seems to have lost its edge, and I actually had to plug it in after only half a day yesterday. Admittedly, I was heavily researching what phone I wanted to upgrade to, so I may have had hours of screen time, but the battery just didn't seem to last as long after almost 2 years. I remember using it easily for 2 days and 1 night (~40 hours) back then. I'm reserving my judgement of the new battery right now, but I received it around 3pm today with 53% battery and I'm now at 22% about 10 hours later. To its credit, I did drive 120 miles, so it may have lost some on the trip while looking for signals, but I wasn't using it at all in the car. I'm gonna let it drain down and then give it a full charge tomorrow and test it out the longevity. We all know we can't judge the first charge or 2.

I was worried that I wouldn't like the feel of the new shatterproof screen. I never have shattered a phone, and the shatterproof screen wasn't a selling point for me; I only wanted the battery. I never use screen protectors or cases, so I am used to the feel of stock glass under my fingers. Knowing this came with a screen protector on it, and knowing that I shouldn't remove it, I fiddled with the one at the store, and had no more worries about it. The new one out of the box felt even better than the "dirty" store one. Since I have both of the phones in front of me, I CAN feel a slight difference between the Maxx and the Turbo 2 when sliding across the screen, but it is small enough to not worry about.

When I got the Droid Maxx, I told myself that it was as big of a phone as I ever could use. I almost didn't want to get the Turbo 2, since it was even larger, but I have been too spoiled by battery life with these lines of phones. I just couldn't see myself in an S6 or M9 (which were about the size of the Droid Maxx) and having to charge it midday or when I get home from work. I can just barely use this Turbo 2 one-handed.

Overall though, no complaints and zero buyer's remorse. As long as you are willing to deal with a larger phone, I feel like it is a worthy upgrade.

Thanks for the write up, it's about the same thing I have been thinking. I've made up my mind to get it, I just have to wait until December 3rd to buy it. Some Verizon red tape is holding me back

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree that there's really not a whole like to complain about with the Maxx. I had the Mini for a while, and I liked it just fine, just got tired of the paltry 16gb memory. Got a 32gb Maxx off ebay for $120, and its great. But even with 32 gigs its hard to get some games on there along with music, so I just do with a couple albums at a time. I bit the bullet on the Black Friday deal DT2. More than anything I'm looking forward to loading music onto my 64gb card and still having the 32 gigs on the phone to put games on.
I'm almost regretting that I personalized it, because now its going to take longer to get to me, but I think I'll be happier with it. My wife complains about the battery life on the old Mini...time to give her the Maxx.

JD13x2

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
I came from a Maxx also. I almost pulled the trigger on v2 but opted for the Turbo because of the 32 gb option. The camera is said to be the same in both phones.
Difference is in the ram and cpu.

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I went from the Maxx to the Turbo 2. I don't like the slickness of the back on the Turbo 2. I left my Maxx naked but will be putting some sort of case on the back of my Turbo 2 to alleviate the slickness. I also didn't like the fact that the OS upgrade made ALL mail into gmail. I liked the old stock email app. I didn't like the fact that I could only make new screens to the "right" of the home screen. On my MAXX I had screens both the left and right.

I installed K-9 mail and that took care of the email issue. I installed Nova launcher and now I FREAKING LOVE THIS PHONE!!!

I still need to put a back case on the phone but that is a minor detail. This is a truly awesome phone - and remember, I loved the MAXX.

Note: I put a 200 GB microSD card in the Turbo 2. I was sitting in the doctor's waiting room yesterday watching Minions in full HD. It looked and played great. When I got called in to see the doctor it was paused and he asked me about it. I think he's probably going to switch to the Turbo 2. :)

jmanches42

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I went from the Maxx to the Turbo 2. I don't like the slickness of the back on the Turbo 2. I left my Maxx naked but will be putting some sort of case on the back of my Turbo 2 to alleviate the slickness. I also didn't like the fact that the OS upgrade made ALL mail into gmail. I liked the old stock email app. I didn't like the fact that I could only make new screens to the "right" of the home screen. On my MAXX I had screens both the left and right.

I installed K-9 mail and that took care of the email issue. I installed Nova launcher and now I FREAKING LOVE THIS PHONE!!!

I still need to put a back case on the phone but that is a minor detail. This is a truly awesome phone - and remember, I loved the MAXX.

Note: I put a 200 GB microSD card in the Turbo 2. I was sitting in the doctor's waiting room yesterday watching Minions in full HD. It looked and played great. When I got called in to see the doctor it was paused and he asked me about it. I think he's probably going to switch to the Turbo 2. :)

Haha I'm still liking the phone, I highly recommend the incipio case from Verizon and the glass screen protector. IMHO the case makes the phone feel perfect.

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Haha I'm still liking the phone, I highly recommend the incipio case from Verizon and the glass screen protector. IMHO the case makes the phone feel perfect.

I've seen a few reviews that say the glass screen doesn't stick on the Turbo 2. It's been conjectured that it has to do with the plastic surface of the actual screen. Have you had any issues with this?

jmanches42

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine on since November 15 and haven't had any issues. I can't even tell it's there to be honest. A Verizon employee placed it on the screen and its been good since

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I've heard the non-Verizon tempered glass protectors don't work on the Turbo 2 because the screen is ever so slightly curved. Not as much as the LG G4, but same concept.

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok well mine sticks.

It seems to be hit and miss no matter which brand is chosen or who puts it in place. I may take the chance on a glass screen protector. I wonder if I have Verizon or Best Buy do the install if I can return the thing if it doesn't stay in place properly. That way they couldn't say I screwed it up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1