How can I fix a voice issue on my Droid Turbo 2?

A

AC Question

Voice issue Droid Turbo 2

Just got the Droid Turbo 2 and actually am on my second one. I have an issue that I have talked to Verizon about with no resolution. When I make phone calls there are random times when the person on the other end can't hear me. I can hear them fine but it just cuts out their ability to hear me. It happens several times a day and even with 4 bars of signal. I have switch to hd calling and tried multiple solutions.

Have searched all over and haven't found anything. It is happening on the second phone so wondering if it has something to do with me and how i am holding the phone. Could it be microphone location or something to do with noise cancelling?

thanks.

glraz

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: Voice issue Droid Turbo 2

doesn't seem to in speaker or Bluetooth but I have only had the phone just over a week. I will try making some calls in safe-mode to see. If it doesn't in safe-mode any thoughts on what it might be?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

If it persists in Safe Mode, then perhaps there's some faulty connection for the primary mic. Bring it back to the store, or contact Motorola for warranty repair.

Just to be sure, make sure you're not blocking the primary mic's opening (e.g., with your hand or fingers). It should be a small pinhole somewhere at the bottom edge of the phone.

glraz

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site

this is the second one in two weeks and seems to be the same issue. I suspect it is how i am using the phone but just seems weird. Only have a few days left for exchanging it with them and would like to keep the phone as I like everything else about it.

glraz

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site

Okay the saga continues. I am onto my 3rd turbo 2 and still have similar issues. Outbound voice gets muffled and even drops randomly. I have worked with Verizon and Motorola with all saying they don't have any documented issues and don't know what to tell me. I have done two factory resets and on the last have not installed any 3rd party apps, so running a stock phone. I have made one call that I believe it is still having the same issues but will test further tonight. It doesn't seem to be reserved to a area to network issues seems to be ruled out.

I really hate to give up the phone as the other features are great but not sure I can deal with a phone that I can't make consistent phone calls.

jmanches42

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Do you have a case on it that could be partially blocking the mic?

Posted via the Android Central App

glraz

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I have had the issue with and without a case. the latest is a store rep told me that enhanced hd calling is not available in Arizona yet and no one should have it turned on for their account. well that really makes the turbo 2 a dumb phone and not a smart phone. Without hd since it only has once antenna you can't use data while on a phone call.

Interesting also how they treat technical issues with phones vs their 14 day worry free guarantee. I have had some from verizon say that even if it is technical issue i am stuck with the phone at the 14 days.

Jay A whY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Callers on the other end could not hear me clearly, turned off "Video Calling" via Settings/Advanced Calling.. So far so good, hopefully this fixes it..

sreay

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I am on my 3rd droid turbo and am experiencing the same problems with voice calls. I am talking and then all of sudden the person on the other end can't hear me talking, but I can hear them. Sometimes they also say I sound garbled or faded, then call drops. I have had numerous conversations with techs and store people and no-one knows why. Very frustrating. I really like the phone for the battery life and fast charging. So that is why I still have this phone. But the voice issues may cause me to go to a new phone. It seems to work better with out advanced calling on. But not always....

glraz

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Finally someone that has the same issues as I had, sorry Verizon I think thought I was crazy. I have completely disabled the advanced calling and haven't had as many issues especially with the fading calls. I have also noticed that it is very sensitive when on a call and my cheek will hit the "add a call" which puts the caller on a hold that I can hear them so that I can dial another number. would be nice if there was a way to turn that feature off as I have never used it.

Besides the few issues with the calling the phone is great otherwise. I hope it is a software or network fix that will get resolved since I decided to keep the turbo and now am stuck for 2 years. I am sure as they get out more others will have the same problem.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Finally someone that has the same issues as I had, sorry Verizon I think thought I was crazy. I have completely disabled the advanced calling and haven't had as many issues especially with the fading calls. I have also noticed that it is very sensitive when on a call and my cheek will hit the "add a call" which puts the caller on a hold that I can hear them so that I can dial another number. would be nice if there was a way to turn that feature off as I have never used it.

Just curious - have you tried disabling the video calling feature? Instructions for the Turbo are at the first link on this Google search: https://www.google.com/search?q=ver...advanced+calling+turn+off+video+calls+turbo+2 ( I would put the link to VZW directly but Android Central changes all vzw.com links to some ad network that screws them up.) I assume that the Turbo 2 toggle is similar.

I believe that I read before on another thread that togging this off greatly improved the quality of Advanced Calling voice calls.

As for your cheek hitting something, I must be missing something. The phone has a proximity sensor that should turn off the display as the phone approaches your face - the display should be off when you raise it to your head, and you shouldn't be toggling anything. Perhaps you have a hardware failure with the prox sensor?

glraz

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
have been using it with hd calling off mostly. Did try a little with the video off but if I remember it still faded out during a call.

As for the proximity, all 3 phones i had did the same thing so maybe just the way i hold the phone to my face.

glraz

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Note that without advanced calling turned on you can't use the data while on the phone call (imo really not a very smart phone then). From what both Verizon and Motorola explained to me most of the new phones are coming out with only one antenna unlike most of the smart phones previously that had two. One was used for voice and one for data, even then the phones were using cdma for voice, VoLTE is fairly new for Verizon, I believe in the last couple years. I am in Arizona and had a Verizon store person tell me that no one in AZ should be using the advanced calling as it was in "beta" here yet, this was disputed by the 611 customer service people.

However I have been running the past week with advanced calling on but video off and haven't had any issues.... yet.

honda1k

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I had same problem. Just because you disable the advanced calling from phone you need to call Verizon to have it disabled off account. My problem was solved.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I had same problem. Just because you disable the advanced calling from phone you need to call Verizon to have it disabled off account. My problem was solved.

You can also do it by logging in to your account using the My Verizon web portal.

That said, you can leave the feature enabled on your account and toggle it on when you want to use it on the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670