07-30-2016 05:34 PM
280 ... 89101112
tools
    Restart in safe mode with the shutoff set to 1%, leave the phone sitting and see how many hours it ran before it shut off. You'll probably get close to 48 hours. That's like a car mpg - measured going downhill with a tailwind. It's a legitimate measure, it's just not a measure of how the item is normally used.
    01-26-2016 10:25 PM
    It's definitely not a 48 hour battery in the way that most of us use our phones, but it's easily a 24-30 hour phone and 48 with "moderate" usage. Regardless, 24 hours is all I need.
    tbenedict likes this.
    01-26-2016 10:28 PM
    24 hours of actually using the phone, with the screen on? Not without a large power bank. Or until someone discovers a much more power dense supply than lithium batteries.
    01-27-2016 12:03 AM
    It's definitely not a 48 hour battery in the way that most of us use our phones, but it's easily a 24-30 hour phone and 48 with "moderate" usage. Regardless, 24 hours is all I need.
    Look at my stats, I'm getting nowhere close to that! Frustrating. I'm hoping Marshmallow and a factory data reset will help.
    01-27-2016 05:40 AM
    24 hours of actually using the phone, with the screen on? Not without a large power bank. Or until someone discovers a much more power dense supply than lithium batteries.
    No, of course not. I mean it gets me through a heavy usage day.
    01-27-2016 07:45 AM
    The 48 hour advertising I think was a huge mistake, and I wish Verizon would stop. They should advertise it as all day battery and then some. For all but the very few people who use their phone very lightly, 48 hours just doesn't happen.
    01-27-2016 11:00 AM
    The 48 hour advertising I think was a huge mistake, and I wish Verizon would stop. They should advertise it as all day battery and then some. For all but the very few people who use their phone very lightly, 48 hours just doesn't happen.
    This. 100% true. Just advertise that it will get you through even the heaviest of days.
    01-27-2016 11:23 AM
    Yeah that was the biggest selling point for me, longer battery. Well, this phone doesn't have it, period! It's terrible and has become worse then my note 4. Barely on the thing doing some misc. stuff and the thing heats up, battery drains fast. Same boat as above, hoping 6.0 helps in some way then a factory reset but when in the HELL are we getting it! Holy sheet!
    01-27-2016 03:30 PM
    Right there with ya!
    01-27-2016 04:21 PM
    Yeah that was the biggest selling point for me, longer battery. Well, this phone doesn't have it, period! It's terrible and has become worse then my note 4. Barely on the thing doing some misc. stuff and the thing heats up, battery drains fast. Same boat as above, hoping 6.0 helps in some way then a factory reset but when in the HELL are we getting it! Holy sheet!
    I'm guessing most of the people having an issue with battery life are upset because of the 48 hour claim and unreasonable expectations. I could get about 6-7 hours SOT in a day's use if I stretched it. That seems like really good battery life, no?
    01-27-2016 04:24 PM
    The 48 hour battery is just a marketing thing. It's really no different than any other company making a claim on TV that sounds too go to be true. Always remember to read the fine print and you'll see how they state "under certain conditions".
    01-28-2016 07:41 AM
    The 48 hour battery is just a marketing thing. It's really no different than any other company making a claim on TV that sounds too go to be true. Always remember to read the fine print and you'll see how they state "under certain conditions".
    Right, it's a "marketing thing". But the problem for Motorola/Lenovo is that enough people aren't stupid. Tell them the phone they are buying will last 48 hours. When it doesn't, do you think they'll get 100% customer retention?

Verizon doesn't care - they make their money not on the sales of phones but on their service. It's Verizon doing the marketing, but Motorola suffering the consequences.

Couldn't it be a "marketing thing" to promise a battery that easily gets you through a day without quantifying "48 hours"?
    01-28-2016 07:48 AM
    Right, it's a "marketing thing". But the problem for Motorola/Lenovo is that enough people aren't stupid. Tell them the phone they are buying will last 48 hours. When it doesn't, do you think they'll get 100% customer retention?

Verizon doesn't care - they make their money not on the sales of phones but on their service. It's Verizon doing the marketing, but Motorola suffering the consequences.

Couldn't it be a "marketing thing" to promise a battery that easily gets you through a day without quantifying "48 hours"?
    Technically yes they could do that.. They could really do anything. I'm just saying it isn't different from anything else in life. I only see the claims taken to heart with phones and carriers but if someone was to see a loan on TV that said free money everyone instantly knows to read the bottom and you see the whopping 35% interest rate and such.

As for phones though.. Never take any ad or salespersons guarantee on battery. It all varies by usage and they'll go by what they say is the "average user" or "light usage" to make it sound so appealing. One of the others on my team uses his hotspot and things greatly and therefore has to charge his phones 2 or more times a day. Is this normal usage? Most definitely not but that just goes to show the battery claims are pointless unless they're specified to your usage directly.. And advertising won't do that.
    01-28-2016 08:13 AM
    They always through the "mixed usage" thing in there. If you have what we would consider light usage and what most people consider to be normal, you'll probably be able to eek two days out - but 48 is a silly number anyways. To get two full days out of a battery, you need about 42 hours, assuming you're charging at night every other day. And somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-8 hours of that will be sleeping, so doze takes over for that if you're not going to charge it overnight - so the device needs to be able to be used/idle for up to 42 hours, with only 34-36 of that being in motion, being used, etc. The obvious things like GPS, Screen, etc. are obviously still going to impact the overall usage. The 48 hour thing is a way of checking expectations, because it is relative to "normal" people. When the Moto X 2013, Moto X 2014 are both advertised to get 24 hours on the same "normal" usage, then the expectation, if you were getting 12 on those devices then it'd be reasonable to expect less than the full 48 advertised on this device. If like me, you were easily getting 16-18 hours (aka a full day) and charging each night out of those devices, expecting this device to last at least one full day and well into the next, if not the entire next day - might be pretty doable. Also, the OP has some wakelocks.
    Almeuit likes this.
    01-28-2016 09:47 AM
    I'm guessing most of the people having an issue with battery life are upset because of the 48 hour claim and unreasonable expectations. I could get about 6-7 hours SOT in a day's use if I stretched it. That seems like really good battery life, no?
    It seems to be but yes, when people claim the original turbo had good battery life and is still better then the turbo 2, well, there's my issue. Great expectations with subpar results, comparing these two phones and BS claims from Verizon.

Also, I make my claims based on size of battery not so much Verizon's 48 battery life. I honestly don't take that into consideration because I do understand it all varies from person to person.
    01-28-2016 12:06 PM
    Also, the OP has some wakelocks.
    But held awake is only using 2% of the battery, according to GSAM.

Obviously the display on this phone is a terrible draw of battery.

To the OP: do you use advanced calling/VoLTE for calls? I wonder if you turned that off and used CDMA calling if you'd get better battery life? The 47 minutes of calls used a lot of battery as well.

To be honest, though, at this point Android just lacks good tools to diagnose battery usage like this (at least unless you are rooted). GSAM and the Android battery usage can give you clues, but not real answers. Without breaking down "Android OS" and "Android System" you just can't do anything but guess at the cause.
    weatherlover1 likes this.
    01-28-2016 01:08 PM
    Thoughts? Maybe this is why my battery has been terrible.DROID Turbo 2 Battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1454017611476.jpg
    01-28-2016 03:46 PM
    If you look at the big blue circle, GSAM says that you have 50% left. It doesn't say 61%.

It does say that you have used 39% *SINCE LAST UNPLUGGED* (see that at the bottom?) There is a setting somewhere in GSAM settings to change that to last full charge - change it to that.
    01-28-2016 04:19 PM
    Gsam is saying that you've used 39% since last unplugged. It probably means that you had a partial charge. If you tap on the triangle at the bottom you can change the information to reflect since last full charge. I think there's nothing wrong there.

Just in case, go to settings - battery, take a screenshot with the graph and post it here.
    01-28-2016 04:21 PM
    From the looks of the screenshot, both your phone and GSAM agree the battery is at 50%. Am I missing something?
    01-28-2016 04:23 PM
    Doogald was quicker and posted while I was still writing my reply Anyway, double confirmation.
    01-28-2016 04:25 PM
    Doogald was quicker and posted while I was still writing my reply Anyway, double confirmation.
    Everyone was typing at the same time because when I opened the thread, there were no replies. I was shocked there were 3 when I finally posted.
    01-28-2016 04:33 PM
    Pulled off charger at 100℅ this morning. I've always seen the percent used match the difference of battery remaining, i.e. =100%. Screenshot coming.
    01-28-2016 05:38 PM
    01-28-2016 05:39 PM
    That graph starts at about 89%, same thing that Gsam numbers say. I still don't see anything wrong there.
    01-28-2016 05:51 PM
280 ... 89101112