DROID Turbo 2 Battery life

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
It looks like the opinion on Battery life all depends on where you're coming from. Those that have phones from within the last year probably aren't seeing as significant an improvement as those, like me, who are coming from older phones that were limping along on non-replaceable batteries and losing their full charges a lot faster. I've been pretty happy with the battery life on mine. As long as I can do whatever I want and make it from waking to the time I go to bed on a full charge without fearing that I've got to get to a charger, then I'm content. I never go 2 days without putting it on a charger because I use it as my alarm clock so I always put it on the charger over night (use timely night mode). The ability to go to functions and not worry about making it through that day is great and, so far, have been able to do that.

As for the 48 hour claim, they never say that's with "Heavy Use". It's an "Up to 48 hours" and I HAVE gotten that with average use when I didn't put it on as an alarm clock. I did test it and I was able to go off charger checking email, watching youtube, facebook, taking pictures and a little google play music, mostly on wifi where it was available, and got through 2 full days and still had around 20% to spare. Anyone expecting to have 5 to 8 hours of SOT and get 48 hours off charger is going to be disappointed. I still can't quite figure out how someone is able to actually live and work when looking at their phones for 8 hours a day. 3-4 minutes here and there during the day is what most users do. The only extended SOT I usually have is GPS or MAYBE streaming a movie while on trips. I have a feeling the 48 hour claim is for the average user who just pulls up the phone in 4 to 5 minute bursts several times a day.

LBrush

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Moto Turbo 2 battery life

Is using the turbo charger on the battery bad for it? I know they designed it to use it, but I'm old fashioned and in my mind if you charge a battery too fast, it gets it hot and lessens the life span. Does using a standard charger lengthen the battery life?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto Turbo 2 battery life

Is using the turbo charger on the battery bad for it? I know they designed it to use it, but I'm old fashioned and in my mind if you charge a battery too fast, it gets it hot and lessens the life span. Does using a standard charger lengthen the battery life?
No, you shouldn’t have any issues in terms of battery longevity. The Turbo charge feature is only engaged up to a certain percentage (say 0% to 50%). Once it reaches 50% it reverts to the normal charging speed.

Ehlona0

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, I just got my droid turbo 2 on Thursday and I've been trying to get the battery under 20% and then charging my phone to 100%. The problem is that it dies within 7 hours of usage. Someone who got the same phone, at the same time as me is saying that they have no such problem and that I just use it too much. To give an understanding I use it to text quite a bit and fb from chrome, not the app. I play solitaire every once in a while and use Snapchat on WiFi. The phone has been connected to WiFi and its a strong network that doesn't kick me off. I understand that the phone needs some time to improve the battery but this is slightly ridiculous that I'm getting less than a days use out of it. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I just got my droid turbo 2 on Thursday and I've been trying to get the battery under 20% and then charging my phone to 100%. The problem is that it dies within 7 hours of usage. Someone who got the same phone, at the same time as me is saying that they have no such problem and that I just use it too much. To give an understanding I use it to text quite a bit and fb from chrome, not the app. I play solitaire every once in a while and use Snapchat on WiFi. The phone has been connected to WiFi and its a strong network that doesn't kick me off. I understand that the phone needs some time to improve the battery but this is slightly ridiculous that I'm getting less than a days use out of it. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

How much screen on time are you getting? It's probably an issue with one of the apps you have installed on the phone.

You should download the app GSAM Battery Monitor. It can potentially help to show you what application might be responsible.

Ehlona0

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
How much screen on time are you getting? It's probably an issue with one of the apps you have installed on the phone.

You should download the app GSAM Battery Monitor. It can potentially help to show you what application might be responsible.

I charged my phone to full at 12:00 by 2 its at 81% I downloaded the app and it told me that 6.7% was Android system, 4.3% is kernal, 2.7% is Gsam, 1.4% is system, 1.4% is system ui, 1.2% is chrome. Within the minute it took me to type this my phone is at 79%. It says 54% is used by the screen which is set to less than halfway and ambient brightness. I don't know what it is, please help.

Last edited:

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

Theoretically, using the Turbo Charger is worse for the battery since fast charging creates more heat, which is bad for the battery. From my experience, the Turbo 2 heats up much more while fast charging than it ever gets with normal usage, which is a bummer. It's too early in the phone's life to tell whether this will hurt the battery long term, but to be on the safe side I'm only using the Turbo charger when I need a quick burst of power in the middle of the day and I'm using my old Samsung slow charger for when I plug it in at night.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm gonna make my final assessment on my Turbo 2's battery life now. I've tried literally every tweak in the book in my 2 months of owning the phone but it's stayed relatively the same: I can get anywhere from 3-6 hours SOT running the battery down to 0 depending on my usage and cell signal (my record is 7hr with VERY heavy usage at home on WiFi). I usually end the day with 30-50% battery, again depending on usage. It's possible for me to squeeze 2 days out of the battery since idle drain overnight is very low at 3-6%, but that's with very light usage and I almost always use my phone more than that. To be safe for the next day, I'll always top off nightly unless I have 60% or more battery remaining. I get these numbers with lots of web browsing, texting/calling/email, 30min-1hr of graphics intensive games, and occasional GPS navigation. I leave WiFi, location services (battery saving except during navigation), data, and auto sync on all the time, and turn bluetooth only when I use it. The screen is kept on the lowest brightness, but use a Tasker gesture to toggle on auto brightness when I need the screen to be brighter. Speaking of the screen, it seems to kill the battery faster than on any other phone I've owned and gaming hits it particularly hard too, which I chalk up to the software not being perfectly optimized with the SoC and the quad HD resolution. The screen drains 1% every 3-5 minutes, but it starts to drain a lot slower once the battery goes below 30%. And no, I didn't have battery saver mode turned on. This is a bummer since most of the time I plug the phone in before it drops below that level, which makes it seem like it has worse battery life than it actually does.

Another thing to note is that in my battery stats, the biggest drain is always something different. Sometimes it's the screen, sometimes it's Google services, sometimes it's Google Play Services, sometimes it's cell standby. It's all over the place, but the results are usually the same.

In all, it's an above average battery, although I feel like it can do better. I see quite a few Note 5 users getting 6-7 hours without root on a much smaller 3000MaH cell. While the Turbo 2 may not last the claimed 48 hours, it gets me through a day with power to spare, which is enough for me. Here's to hoping that the upcoming Marshmallow update will fix the SoC optimization issues, and that combined with Doze it will allow the it to achieve truly epic battery life!

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna make my final assessment on my Turbo 2's battery life now. I've tried literally every tweak in the book in my 2 months of owning the phone but it's stayed relatively the same: I can get anywhere from 3-6 hours SOT running the battery down to 0 depending on my usage and cell signal (my record is 7hr with VERY heavy usage at home on WiFi). I usually end the day with 30-50% battery, again depending on usage. It's possible for me to squeeze 2 days out of the battery since idle drain overnight is very low at 3-6%, but that's with very light usage and I almost always use my phone more than that. To be safe for the next day, I'll always top off nightly unless I have 60% or more battery remaining. I get these numbers with lots of web browsing, texting/calling/email, 30min-1hr of graphics intensive games, and occasional GPS navigation. I leave WiFi, location services (battery saving except during navigation), data, and auto sync on all the time, and turn bluetooth only when I use it. The screen is kept on the lowest brightness, but use a Tasker gesture to toggle on auto brightness when I need the screen to be brighter. Speaking of the screen, it seems to kill the battery faster than on any other phone I've owned and gaming hits it particularly hard too, which I chalk up to the software not being perfectly optimized with the SoC and the quad HD resolution. The screen drains 1% every 3-5 minutes, but it starts to drain a lot slower once the battery goes below 30%. And no, I didn't have battery saver mode turned on. This is a bummer since most of the time I plug the phone in before it drops below that level, which makes it seem like it has worse battery life than it actually does.

Another thing to note is that in my battery stats, the biggest drain is always something different. Sometimes it's the screen, sometimes it's Google services, sometimes it's Google Play Services, sometimes it's cell standby. It's all over the place, but the results are usually the same.

In all, it's an above average battery, although I feel like it can do better. I see quite a few Note 5 users getting 6-7 hours without root on a much smaller 3000MaH cell. While the Turbo 2 may not last the claimed 48 hours, it gets me through a day with power to spare, which is enough for me. Here's to hoping that the upcoming Marshmallow update will fix the SoC optimization issues, and that combined with Doze it will allow the it to achieve truly epic battery life!

Completely agree with all of this, especially the part about the screen draining the battery extremely fast. Standby time is fantastic, but screen time is highly disappointing. Screen drain is literally my only complaint with this phone, but it's definitely a huge deal to me.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Off charger for about 21 hours. 5 hours Bluetooth calling, 4.5 hours screen time.

Not bad at all. What is your screen brightness at?

I wish I could get 7-8 hours SOT with my T2. Unfortunately, the only way to do it would be to keep the screen on right after I take it off the charger (i.e., no standby).

twojosh

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Not bad at all. What is your screen brightness at?

I wish I could get 7-8 hours SOT with my T2. Unfortunately, the only way to do it would be to keep the screen on right after I take it off the charger (i.e., no standby).

I think it's about 30% or so. I have the slider moved to that area. Have Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, on all the time, just not always hooked up. I'd post pics but can't yet since I'm new.

Garydizzle

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I disabled disabled a bunch of stuff early on that I didn't use but was still getting mediocre battery life. I recently disabled My Verizon Mobile and now I'm getting great battery life, it's almost like a different phone, now I can comfortably get through the whole day on a single charge. I used to worry about being away from a charger for more than 12 hours, but now I can go from 6am to midnight easily.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

In a video a woman was going through 5 things she didn't like about the droid turbo 2 & one of the points were that the charging port & near the charging port can scratch easily. Is this true?

Posted via Android Central App

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Question to those who say the Turbo 2 lasts them all day:

Do you mean that it lasts all day using it however you want and with absolutely no power saving measures? Or do you mean that it lasts all day, but you have to take at least some power saving measures or not use the phone as you might normally want to do.

weatherlover1

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Question to those who say the Turbo 2 lasts them all day:

Do you mean that it lasts all day using it however you want and with absolutely no power saving measures? Or do you mean that it lasts all day, but you have to take at least some power saving measures or not use the phone as you might normally want to do.
I use it how I want. Yes I deleted and turned off some apps because it was killing the phone faster than I like but I don't feel like I can't use it. I'm not a power user by most people's standards though. I'm more an average user. I've used my phone a far bit today and I'm at 63% right now not bad at all. At this point I am very happy with this phone.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

If you often have trouble plugging it in correctly then yes it will scratch. It's metal on metal. I haven't had any scratching yet. Keep in mind also that wireless charging is built in, so you wouldn't have to use the cable plug in nearly as often.

leehardballer12

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

I've always been under the impression that its best for your phone to use the charger that was designed for it and supplied with it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

When I get my one in April I plan to use the turbo charger with it. Just don't want the charge port to get to badly scratched then it ends up struggling to charge or something like that. I don't struggle to plug in my S4 so should be ok with the moto x force.

Posted via Android Central App

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site

This is now the 43,672nd thread devoted to Turbo 2 battery life. Perhaps you should search for others before starting yet another one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital