07-30-2016 06:34 PM
280 ... 45678 ...
tools
    For those that had poor battery performance, did a factory reset fix it? My battery isn't lasting as long as my old Maxx. I'm trying to hold off until the 6.0 update but I'm getting anxious. The attached pictures are from today.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails DROID Turbo 2 Battery life-1512.jpg  
    12-17-2015 12:05 AM
    Sadly, I think the battery life on the Turbo 2 just isn't as good as the Maxx or the original Turbo. There's not much that can be done about it because the root cause is the screen, not the software.
    12-17-2015 12:08 AM
    The maxx was a 720hd screen and pretty much dual core. The turbo had quad hd and a 3900mah battery, also it had little idle drain.

The turbo 2 has quad hd screen, octocore, and the battery drain, while not as bad as my note 5 is more than prev droids.

My daughter got the maxx 2 on release day and the 1080hd screen and hexacore gives her a lot longer battery life than i get.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!
    12-17-2015 12:51 AM
    My sentiments exactly. My biggest hope in upgrading from Droid Maxx was to leave GPS, WiFi, NFC, and BT smartwatch connection always on, have a few hours of screen time every day, and not have to charge before bedtime, esp. during long travel days when charging is hard to do. But I'm back to leaving location off unless using Google Maps, which is an inconvenience but seems to make the biggest improvement in preserving battery while idle.

That said, Quick Charge 2.0 is a real saving grace, because it makes it a lot easier to bring the phone back to 80%+ before heading out for an afternoon/evening.

My sense is the phone I really want is Droid Maxx 2, with Turbo and wireless charging and MotoMaker finish.
    12-17-2015 02:16 AM
    With your bluetooth on I don't think your battery was horrible, you got almost 3hrs sot. I am not sure any high performing phone even with a monster battery us going to last and last with moderate to heavy usage. I am right there with you I am not really happy with the battery. I have not done a factory reset because I am not sure its going to help. I did disable al the bloat wear and turn off all the wifi scaning etc. My battery is doing a lot better now. I went to bed with 50% left last night.But my phone is still held awake for over 3hrs and I can't figure out why. I have been lucky to get 2hrs of sot last night if I would have had time I think I would have made it to 3hrs maybe. I will probably do a facotry reset when M comes out which is looking sooner then later hopefully. The hard part is there is no consistancy on why some people seem to get close to 6hrs sot. Maybe its cell signal who knows. It is very frustrating.
    12-17-2015 06:42 AM
    8.2% an hour with less than 3 hours screen time in 8 hours with 77% used by the phone radio? Something is up...

Do you travel through or work in areas with really bad signal?
    12-17-2015 10:05 AM
    Maxx was a low spec phone. DT2 is a high spec phone, so it drinks more juice. If you want a new phone with maxx like battery life, get the maxx 2. Seems like 1.5-2 hours more SOT is common compared to the DT2.

Having said that, battery life is relative to your use. I've gotten over 5 hours SOT with DT2, but that was pretty ideal conditions. If I pushed this phone I'm sure I could only get 1.5 SOT. It's all about how you use it. Much like a car doing 60 on the highway will get better mpg than a car driving on side streets. Same car, different usages.

Post your stats and we'll try to help you out.

weatherlover1 likes this.
    12-17-2015 10:38 AM
    I was regularly getting 60 hours of usage after doing a factory reset and slowly adding apps back. Before that I was being held awake for 80% of the time or more. Now I'm having wake issues again and am getting about 18 or so hours. Frustrating. Looks like it's something under the heading of Android System that is holding it awake...motodisplay, motocare, locationservice, or something.
    12-17-2015 10:53 AM
    8.2% an hour with less than 3 hours screen time in 8 hours with 77% used by the phone radio? Something is up...

Do you travel through or work in areas with really bad signal?
    No that's the thing, my commute is 2 miles and I constantly have solid 4g connection at work and at home. Maybe I'll switch from global to LTE/CDMA to see if that does anything. I never had any connection issues with my other moto phones.

jonratner999 likes this.
    12-17-2015 10:54 AM
    I just picked up this phone. Will post some shots.

6 hours of SOT including watching a 90 minute movie on YouTube and started monitoring at 90% so actually 7 hours of SOT

5 hours of browsing web.

Seems good

Attached Thumbnails DROID Turbo 2 Battery life-596.jpg  
    12-17-2015 04:00 PM
    Much better results today with similar usage as yesterday. The only change I did was change the network type from global to LTE/CDMA and I did do a soft reset before I charged it.

Attached Thumbnails DROID Turbo 2 Battery life-3375.jpg  
    12-18-2015 01:27 AM
    So my battery life isn't the greatest however I just discovered that the battery stats shows GPS on however under location settings I have battery saver mode selected i.e. not GPS. Thoughts?DROID Turbo 2 Battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1450462361939.jpg
    12-18-2015 01:13 PM
    You should be able to see which apps have access to it under location. Google fit has a setting that can enable GPS while running/biking even if your in battery saver move for location.

12-18-2015 02:59 PM
    I'm personally getting slightly better, but similar battery life to my DT1. Nothing will beat the original Maxx unfortunately. The one thing I don't agree on from what a few people have mentioned here is the idle drain. This phone has the best idle drain of any phone is ever used. The screen is what seems to hit the battery hard, but overall I'm averaging over 4 hours SOT with over 28 hours unplugged. When I first got the Turbo, I was averaging closer to 5 hours SOT but over less time unplugged, closer to 20 hours. So I'm getting 8 hours more on a single charge them with my DT1, but a little bit less SOT.
    12-18-2015 03:58 PM
    This was my best day
    Attached Thumbnails DROID Turbo 2 Battery life-1450472887490.jpg   DROID Turbo 2 Battery life-1450472895640.jpg  
    12-18-2015 04:08 PM
    I'm personally getting slightly better, but similar battery life to my DT1. Nothing will beat the original Maxx unfortunately. The one thing I don't agree on from what a few people have mentioned here is the idle drain. This phone has the best idle drain of any phone is ever used. The screen is what seems to hit the battery hard, but overall I'm averaging over 4 hours SOT with over 28 hours unplugged. When I first got the Turbo, I was averaging closer to 5 hours SOT but over less time unplugged, closer to 20 hours. So I'm getting 8 hours more on a single charge them with my DT1, but a little bit less SOT.
    My idol drain is next to zero and my screen consumes the most I do notice the Android system fluctuates between 9-15 percent usage but my radios do not get crazy high either like some Verizon phones are known for.

12-18-2015 04:10 PM
    Man I want to know how some seem to get 4 or more hours of screen on time. My idle time is great but my sot is maybe 3hrs but more like 2 or 2.5 I would be a very happy camper to get 4hrs! I'm trying to figure out what could cause such a difference for some and I wonder if it's the cell signal? Kind of frustrating!
    12-18-2015 04:14 PM
    Man I want to know how some seem to get 4 or more hours of screen on time. My idle time is great but my sot is maybe 3hrs but more like 2 or 2.5 I would be a very happy camper to get 4hrs! I'm trying to figure out what could cause such a difference for some and I wonder if it's the cell signal? Kind of frustrating!
    Signal is a HUGE factor. Followed by screen brightness. I have mine set to 10% when I'm at work and home, auto when elsewhere.

12-18-2015 04:59 PM
    Signal is a HUGE factor. Followed by screen brightness. I have mine set to 10% when I'm at work and home, auto when elsewhere.

I have my screen brightness all the way down plus I download a screen rightness app and have it even dimmer. It must be my signal. I'll get to test it over Christmas when I'm visiting family and I know the signal is better there.
    12-18-2015 05:02 PM
    And according to GSam my signal is around 60% at home.
    12-18-2015 05:07 PM
    And according to GSam my signal is around 60% at home.
    Trying switching your network to LTE/CDMA...I switched and now my phone radio is using less battery.

12-18-2015 05:12 PM
    Trying switching your network to LTE/CDMA...I switched and now my phone radio is using less battery.

Yep did that and I believe that did help. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the phone but would love closer to 4h sot but I may not get it and that's okay. My idle drain is awesome now which was half the battle in the beginning.
    12-18-2015 05:15 PM
    I have my screen brightness all the way down plus I download a screen rightness app and have it even dimmer. It must be my signal. I'll get to test it over Christmas when I'm visiting family and I know the signal is better there.
    Damn... You're a screen brightness freak, haha. That's dedication to battery life.

I typically to go bed and charge when I'm around 50-60% with a few hours SOT. I'm almost always in green.

Also, I guarantee you'll get better battery life if you spend time in a high coverage area.

12-18-2015 05:25 PM
    Yep did that and I believe that did help. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the phone but would love closer to 4h sot but I may not get it and that's okay. My idle drain is awesome now which was half the battle in the beginning.
    Wonder if you bought one of those mini towers for your house if your signal would be better?

12-18-2015 05:34 PM
    Wonder if you bought one of those mini towers for your house if your signal would be better?
    I have one. It helps, but not that much. The phone still tries to connect to LTE data towers if it can, and the radius of the network extender is about 40 feet (and that goes down if there are walls and other obstructions.) At some point you have to be within a 15 foot radius to register the phone with the extender, but once it's registered, you can place or receive calls within 40 feet. You also have to turn off or disable Advanced Calling (if you have it enabled) in order for it to work.

My Droid Maxx battery drains a lot more at my house when connected to the network extender than it does when I am in a good CDMA/LTE signal area. What's good about it, though, is that my calls that don't break up or drop.
    12-18-2015 05:51 PM
280 ... 45678 ...