DROID Turbo 2 Battery life

Moto0685

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Sorry another battery thread

I'm personally getting slightly better, but similar battery life to my DT1. Nothing will beat the original Maxx unfortunately. The one thing I don't agree on from what a few people have mentioned here is the idle drain. This phone has the best idle drain of any phone is ever used. The screen is what seems to hit the battery hard, but overall I'm averaging over 4 hours SOT with over 28 hours unplugged. When I first got the Turbo, I was averaging closer to 5 hours SOT but over less time unplugged, closer to 20 hours. So I'm getting 8 hours more on a single charge them with my DT1, but a little bit less SOT.

My idol drain is next to zero and my screen consumes the most I do notice the Android system fluctuates between 9-15 percent usage but my radios do not get crazy high either like some Verizon phones are known for.

Posted via the Android Central App

weatherlover1

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

Man I want to know how some seem to get 4 or more hours of screen on time. My idle time is great but my sot is maybe 3hrs but more like 2 or 2.5 I would be a very happy camper to get 4hrs! I'm trying to figure out what could cause such a difference for some and I wonder if it's the cell signal? Kind of frustrating!

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

Man I want to know how some seem to get 4 or more hours of screen on time. My idle time is great but my sot is maybe 3hrs but more like 2 or 2.5 I would be a very happy camper to get 4hrs! I'm trying to figure out what could cause such a difference for some and I wonder if it's the cell signal? Kind of frustrating!

Signal is a HUGE factor. Followed by screen brightness. I have mine set to 10% when I'm at work and home, auto when elsewhere.

weatherlover1

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

Signal is a HUGE factor. Followed by screen brightness. I have mine set to 10% when I'm at work and home, auto when elsewhere.

I have my screen brightness all the way down plus I download a screen rightness app and have it even dimmer. It must be my signal. I'll get to test it over Christmas when I'm visiting family and I know the signal is better there.

weatherlover1

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

Trying switching your network to LTE/CDMA...I switched and now my phone radio is using less battery.

Yep did that and I believe that did help. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the phone but would love closer to 4h sot but I may not get it and that's okay. My idle drain is awesome now which was half the battle in the beginning.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I have my screen brightness all the way down plus I download a screen rightness app and have it even dimmer. It must be my signal. I'll get to test it over Christmas when I'm visiting family and I know the signal is better there.

Damn... You're a screen brightness freak, haha. That's dedication to battery life.

I typically to go bed and charge when I'm around 50-60% with a few hours SOT. I'm almost always in green.

Also, I guarantee you'll get better battery life if you spend time in a high coverage area.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

Yep did that and I believe that did help. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the phone but would love closer to 4h sot but I may not get it and that's okay. My idle drain is awesome now which was half the battle in the beginning.

Wonder if you bought one of those mini towers for your house if your signal would be better?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Wonder if you bought one of those mini towers for your house if your signal would be better?

I have one. It helps, but not that much. The phone still tries to connect to LTE data towers if it can, and the radius of the network extender is about 40 feet (and that goes down if there are walls and other obstructions.) At some point you have to be within a 15 foot radius to register the phone with the extender, but once it's registered, you can place or receive calls within 40 feet. You also have to turn off or disable Advanced Calling (if you have it enabled) in order for it to work.

My Droid Maxx battery drains a lot more at my house when connected to the network extender than it does when I am in a good CDMA/LTE signal area. What's good about it, though, is that my calls that don't break up or drop.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Battery Stats Page says GPS on but actually OFF!

You should be able to see which apps have access to it under location. Google fit has a setting that can enable GPS while running/biking even if your in battery saver move for location.

If you're referring to the list below Recent Location Request, Fit isn't listed... Hmmmmm

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

It's all about the signal. The power drain from the radios is an often-overlooked component to battery life. Even the most energy efficient phones can get brought to their knees by a poor signal. Both mobile and WiFi... if those are poor, your phone cranks up the gain to compensate.... and this can create a HUGE draw. Looking at that those screenshots, the phone's sucking down a ton of power...

Are you in an area with poor signal a lot? The shots show a strong signal, but those battery stats say otherwise.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
This was my best run yet. 5.5 hours SOT with 30% battery remaining. Probably could have squeezed out 7 if I ran out down.

Screenshot_2015-12-19-21-55-09.pngScreenshot_2015-12-19-21-55-14.pngScreenshot_2015-12-19-21-55-20.png

Last edited:

weatherlover1

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
This was my best run yet. 5.5 hours SOT with 30% battery remaining. Probably could have squeezed out 7 if I ran out down.

View attachment 210440View attachment 210441View attachment 210442

How in the world?? There is NO way I could get that and your signal was not that great either. Do you have facebook installed that was one program I was wondering about. Trying to figure out what is the draw while screen is on vs idle time which I do pretty good at. Just weird and frustrating at the same time!

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
How in the world?? There is NO way I could get that and your signal was not that great either. Do you have facebook installed that was one program I was wondering about. Trying to figure out what is the draw while screen is on vs idle time which I do pretty good at. Just weird and frustrating at the same time!

I do have Facebook, though chat and notifications are disabled. I don't have Google now setup either, or the moto actions (twist for camera etc). As always low screen brightness

Last edited:

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
So, I was using my phone last night and thought to myself, I've been on this thing alot today. I checked the battery stats and wow...Apparently I accidentally disabled the location from the quick drop down at some point yesterday, so I'm sure that has something to do with this. 7.5 hours SOT with 35% remaining

Screenshot_2015-12-20-21-59-16.pngScreenshot_2015-12-20-21-59-25.pngScreenshot_2015-12-20-21-59-31.png

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
How are you guys getting such good battery life? I'm averaging around 4-5 hrs SOT, no more no less, when running the battery close to empty. I usually charge at 20%, so I see 3.5-4.5 hrs. I have my screen set to 40% with adaptive brightness and everything on except for bluetooth and location set on battery saving. With moderate use this gets me through about 1.3 days, with light use I can eek 2 days out of it, but I can kill my phone in less than a day if I use it very heavily.

When the phone is on idle, it sips battery as if it already has Doze (usually 3% lost overnight). However, using the screen murders the battery. From my loose observations, the battery literally drains 1% about every 3 minutes of SOT. I can post screenshots later when my battery runs low later.

Also, for some reason, my screen is not the biggest battery drain most of the time, but it doesn't seem to be a rogue app either. It's usually Google Play Services, Android OS, Android System, Google App, or cell standby at the top, with screen 2nd or 3rd.

Can anybody help? The battery life is good but I feel like my phone is under-performing compared to some of the guys on this forum.

weatherlover1

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
4hrs sot is not bad for this phone to be truthful. Turning of location will help if your using any apps like mighty text those drain as well. I am finding my battery is getting better. I went from barely getting 2hrs sot to 3 maybe 4hrs though I have not tested the exact amount. I agree when the screen is on it drains very fast. I keep it on the lowest brightness with the adaptive brightness on and it seems to do okay but it would be nice if it was better. If you use a lot of apps and have location on and wifi scanning on your battery life is not going to be as good. It's all about finding a balance between using your phone and being happy and deleting or disabling bloatware your not using.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
How are you guys getting such good battery life? I'm averaging around 4-5 hrs SOT, no more no less, when running the battery close to empty. I usually charge at 20%, so I see 3.5-4.5 hrs. I have my screen set to 40% with adaptive brightness and everything on except for bluetooth and location set on battery saving. With moderate use this gets me through about 1.3 days, with light use I can eek 2 days out of it, but I can kill my phone in less than a day if I use it very heavily.

When the phone is on idle, it sips battery as if it already has Doze (usually 3% lost overnight). However, using the screen murders the battery. From my loose observations, the battery literally drains 1% about every 3 minutes of SOT. I can post screenshots later when my battery runs low later.

Also, for some reason, my screen is not the biggest battery drain most of the time, but it doesn't seem to be a rogue app either. It's usually Google Play Services, Android OS, Android System, Google App, or cell standby at the top, with screen 2nd or 3rd.

Can anybody help? The battery life is good but I feel like my phone is under-performing compared to some of the guys on this forum.

I run my phone the same exact was as you described and get very similar battery life. I'm averaging 4 hours, 15 min SOT per charge with 29 hours on average. I agree it seems like the screen kills the battery like 1% every 3 min, but then it will get caught on a certain # so that it ends up averaging better than that. Either way 300 min equals 5 hours, so every 3 min isn't that bad if the idle time is great, which it is. I've gotten over 5 hours a few times, but that's always been over a shorter day. I can easily get 4 over 30 hours, which is great to me.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech