DROID Turbo 2 Battery life

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Is this the average you guys are getting? Only been through about 5 charge cycles so hopefully it improves a little. I wasn't expecting 48 hours, but it seems quite a bit weaker than I anticipated. Coming from a DT1, it's not quite as good it seems.

Let me know what you guys are getting for battery life, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 5708.jpg
    5708.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 798

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
ce6161f4c22be0d215c16ed5a2a809b2.jpg

My average is slowly getting better.

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
On active days I'm averaging about 36 hours (forecast out) with about 5 to 6 hours screen-on-time, 2 hours talk time, and a few dozen each of Gmail's and Email (via Nine email app / Exchange email), web browsing, some games, various news apps, a bit of FB and some time taking / sharing photos. I can start around 5:30am or 6am, have an active day with all of the interactive activity described above, but perhaps only about 3 hours screen-on-time, and by about 10pm the phone is extrapolating that the battery will last till about 5pm the next day.

My take away: I can use this heavily, with BT, WiFi, GPS all running, make it all the way from wake-up to sleep, and still have a bunch of power in reserve. Probably won't make it through 2 days (or 48 hours), but I'm happy to have a guaranteed full day with room to spare.

Jon

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Haven't tried to run out the battery, but I've consistently gotten 4.5-5.5 hours SOT in a 24 hour period without going below 30%.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Are you using adaptive brightness? I seem to be getting better battery life with adaptive brightness on with brightness set at 40-50%. I've read in other forums that adaptive brightness is bad for battery life though. Weird.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Is this the average you guys are getting? Only been through about 5 charge cycles so hopefully it improves a little. I wasn't expecting 48 hours, but it seems quite a bit weaker than I anticipated. Coming from a DT1, it's not quite as good it seems.

Based on the icon in your screenshot and the high phone radio use, I suspect that most of your battery issues are due to low mobile signal. If your signal is low, the phone sends more power to the antenna to try to hold it. Do you usually have low signal?

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I usually do have low signal due to being in an office with poor reception. I've even noticed it jump to 3G and then back to 4G occasionally. Must be a significant culprit. Damn.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
So what exactly is a charge cycle? Like just having the battery drain then charge back up?

One cycle is when the battery has drained and charged a total of 100%. So, drain to 50 and charge two days in a row - that's one charge cycle. Drain to 25 two days in a row - that's 1.5 charge cycles.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Yup that's right Doogald. Going to give adaptive brightness a try to see if that does anything noticeable.

gator12993

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Battery just doesn't seem impressive. Yesterday had maybe 18 hours off charge and 4 hour st. Came from a droid maxx and I could get these numbers after 2 years some days.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm averaging about 28 hours on this phone with about 4 hours, 20 min SOT. If I were more active over an 16-18 hour period I'd expect to get closer to 5-6 hours SOT. My Turbo 1 seemed to be a little more efficient with the screen, but the standby time wasn't nearly as good. I would have to charge every night no matter what and was averaging about 4 hours, 30 min SOT but with only about 20 hours on a single charge. So I'm getting about 8 hours more time with this phone and legitimately do not charge overnight some nights. Here's my current cycle. This is all on network and a ton of emailing. I have 1 corporate email, 2 very active gmails and 1 yahoo account all auto pushing, in addition to a ton of chat on whatsapp, which seems to hit the battery pretty hard. I also had a Droid Maxx and I have to say that was the most battery efficient phone I've used to date. I once got 7.5 hours on that over 38 hours, but that seemed kind of flukish. I averaged closer to 5 hours SOT on my Droid Maxx and I usually charge overnight, but I could consistently get to 28-30 hours on that phone. I don't think I used whatsapp at that point though so that might account for the difference.

Attachments

• 1449076874047.jpg
    1449076874047.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 1449076912147.jpg
    1449076912147.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 142

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Those are good numbers. I see you aren't using WiFi and since I have turned mine off, I'm getting consistently better battery (wifi at my office sucks)

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Battery just doesn't seem impressive. Yesterday had maybe 18 hours off charge and 4 hour st. Came from a droid maxx and I could get these numbers after 2 years some days.

Agreed. Battery is good, but d.maxx was better.

pbertke

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Battery Life

Can someone who is getting more than 2 days worth of battery post their settings? I get a little over 12 hours with roughly 4 hours of screen time. I leave my Bluetooth on all day because I have an Android Wear watch and I usually try to keep location off as well. Does anyone have any big recommendations to conserve battery?

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
It's a trade off - you get two days plus with low SOT, or you get a days use with high SOT. It's uncommon to get both.

The more time you spend on WiFi the better, and the lower the brightness of screen the better. Also, BT on all day isn't helping, but might be offset if you're not using location services.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Battery Life

Can someone who is getting more than 2 days worth of battery post their settings? I get a little over 12 hours with roughly 4 hours of screen time. I leave my Bluetooth on all day because I have an Android Wear watch and I usually try to keep location off as well. Does anyone have any big recommendations to conserve battery?

In no particular order:

- I use exclusively network cause I have unlimited data (trying wifi at home for the first time today)
- Bluetooth off cause I never use it
- Location on battery saving (for about 3/4ths of my time with the T1 I kept off completely but then when I needed gps for navigation my phone started to take too long to pick up the location, so I started leaving it on low battery, which didn't seem to have much of an impact. I thought it did when I first got the phone and ran without it, but in the end, the difference with location on low and off was negligible.
- Moto apps are on except for: flashlight gesture, moto voice to ear, and don't use assist at all.
- I tweaked Google settings to make sure ok Google is off because this is redundant considering moto voice already has active listening. I think I disabled a couple other location related things in Google settings, but basically just be thorough in going through the settings and turn off anything that would logically affect battery negatively.
- I have countless things syncing constantly - Evernote, 2 gmail accounts, yahoo, 1 corporate email (use Nine), whatsapp, Line chat, Instagram, Wunderlist task management, Flow task management, Bleacher Report, Yahoo Sports and news, etc.
- In Security settings I have Android device manager connected so this probably syncs with the location in some way, which must impact battery somehow.
- Advanced calling is on
- I don't play a lot of games (games are a killer, as is email and chat services as far as I can tell)
- I clear the Cache almost nightly from the storage settings. Some people say this is bad, but from my experience with my last 3 phones, any day where I go without doing this, my battery is not as good (could be in my head but I have a 3 year sample size at this point so I personally think it's legit)
- whenever I charge my phone, I charge it full so I can get a full representative sample.
- I keep my phone at a smidgen under 50% brightness with ambient display on

I think that's about it. If you haven't cleared the Cache since you bought the phone and have downloaded a ton of apps, then certainly try that. I'd probably reboot and then try that, and then see how things go from a full cycle beginning at 100%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair