DROID Turbo 2 Battery life

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I feel bad for anyone who's not getting good battery life. I'm honestly at a loss. If any of you who are not satisfied have only had it for a couple days, I'd implore you to give it a few more. Honestly I've been giving a lot of props of late to the Droid Maxx for having the best battery life I've ever experienced, but I'm starting to waiver on that given the battery life I've been getting here. I think this is the first phone I've legitimately felt torn about whether or not I should charge it overnight. I've been going to bed just under 50% after a full day of use with nearly 3 hours SOT. I just don't use my phone for 6 hours in a given day, but after 2 weeks with this phone, I feel like it's improving every day.

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
You have to give the battery at least 4-5 cycles to get a good idea where you are at. Usually once they are broken in you should see a 20-40% increase, so don't pass judgement too quick. If its still bad you either have a bad signal or a rogue app. I think this phone should get 36 hours of moderate use legit. I'm getting all day use from 9am to 11pm, then into the next day around 5-6pm I need to charge it again but thats 32 without really tweaking it down yet.

Gunner

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I know its only been a few days but my battery life is horrible. I turned off Bluetooth and this afternoon I cleared the cache for apps and when into the recovery mode and cleared them there as well. Hoping that will help otherwise I will try a factory reset. Just can't figure out what is draining it so fast.

Posted via the Android Central App

As others have said, you definitely have a badly behaving app (or apps) combined with poor cell signal. Your phone is awake most of the time, which is a sure sign of a bad app. What does GSam show as your top app as far as batt usage? You need to root out which app(s) is causing wakelocks on your phone. If you can't figure which apps are sucking the juice, I would do a FR and then carefully reinstall apps one by one, watching for batt usage.

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
As others have said, you definitely have a badly behaving app (or apps) combined with poor cell signal. Your phone is awake most of the time, which is a sure sign of a bad app. What does GSam show as your top app as far as batt usage? You need to root out which app(s) is causing wakelocks on your phone. If you can't figure which apps are sucking the juice, I would do a FR and then carefully reinstall apps one by one, watching for batt usage.

Gunner is correct; it will get better. I've tested lots of devices and the first few days are always worse.

Gunner

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I was getting around 36 - 40 hrs batt life over the long holiday weekend (on wifi most of the time). This past week, I've been using the phone more heavily, and I'm down to about 19 - 20 hrs batt life. Hoping that gets back up over 24 hrs with 6.0.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I know its only been a few days but my battery life is horrible. I turned off Bluetooth and this afternoon I cleared the cache for apps and when into the recovery mode and cleared them there as well. Hoping that will help otherwise I will try a factory reset. Just can't figure out what is draining it so fast.

Your phone is awake all the time, even when your screen is off. That is a big battery killer. There's an app or two running in the background that's preventing your phone from sleeping and saving battery. Also, your phone was in a relatively poor service area, that is a battery killer also, so hopefully you aren't always in poor service area because you'll never get great numbers.

weatherlover1

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Your phone is awake all the time, even when your screen is off. That is a big battery killer. There's an app or two running in the background that's preventing your phone from sleeping and saving battery. Also, your phone was in a relatively poor service area, that is a battery killer also, so hopefully you aren't always in poor service area because you'll never get great numbers.

Poor signal is my life I live in UP of Michigan. This phone is doing better with signal then my note 3. I am aware the phone is awake. If android had not gotten all jerky about wake lock permissions I would have figured this out already. The only other thing is I do have Moto assist on. But I would think it would not be keeping it on that much. I'll figure it out at some point. I'm more frustrated that I can't just see what is awake with out root.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
As others have said, you definitely have a badly behaving app (or apps) combined with poor cell signal. Your phone is awake most of the time, which is a sure sign of a bad app.

My initial thought was the same, but GSAM is only showing 2% battery use from "held awake", so I'm not sure it's just a wakelock issue. Unfortunately, Android doesn't give you enough information to pin down which apps are causing the wakelocks (without rooting the phone). I kind of understand it, but I still think it's too bad they took that away with KitKat.

[edit] By the way, I think it goes without saying that the phone is awake during phone calls, even with the display off. The same goes if you are listening to media with the display off. So, if those periods of awake with the screen off on weatherlover1's battery graph coincide with phone calls or with periods of listening to music with the display off, then everything is normal.

Last edited:

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone have an idea about how this Doze feature in M is going to affect the Moto features? Wouldn't Doze negate all of the wake screen notifications that Moto offers? I guess if it also sets other apps to "sleep" then it would help though.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have an idea about how this Doze feature in M is going to affect the Moto features? Wouldn't Doze negate all of the wake screen notifications that Moto offers? I guess if it also sets other apps to "sleep" then it would help though.

I don't, but I heard that we'll lose moto assist in the upgrade.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Poor signal is my life I live in UP of Michigan. This phone is doing better with signal then my note 3. I am aware the phone is awake. If android had not gotten all jerky about wake lock permissions I would have figured this out already. The only other thing is I do have Moto assist on. But I would think it would not be keeping it on that much. I'll figure it out at some point. I'm more frustrated that I can't just see what is awake with out root.

Yeah, UP is sparse. Have you disabled all the bloat? Uninstall apps you don't need or use. Set longer refresh periods for apps like weather etc. Turn off notifications you don't need. And dim the screen. I have screen on lowest setting for a good chunk of the day. It's still plenty bright for most occasions other than outside.

weatherlover1

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't, but I heard that we'll lose moto assist in the upgrade.

Where did you hear that? Moto assist is a big feature. I don't see it disappearing. I am pretty sure they can work with the software to not turn assist off. But I have been wrong many times. 😁

weatherlover1

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, UP is sparse. Have you disabled all the bloat? Uninstall apps you don't need or use. Set longer refresh periods for apps like weather etc. Turn off notifications you don't need. And dim the screen. I have screen on lowest setting for a good chunk of the day. It's still plenty bright for most occasions other than outside.

Its doing better today. I'm at 70% after using my phone a fair bit while out and about. Yes I uninstalled none needed apps or disabled them. Messed with my sync on most apps though I may double check them again.

I don't expect 48hr life I just want to take it off the charger at 6am and not need to give it juice until 10p. I use my phone enough I don't expect magic with battery but u was expecting better then my note 3 and so far it's not. I'll give it a few days.

Yes I keep my screen at minimum setting unless outside. Thus screen is way brighter than my note 3!

TechJunkie#AC

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Since bootloader unlock on the OG Turbo and CM 12.1 I've been averaging ~36 hours of charge with about 5 hours of screen on time. Don't have my screenshots handy but this made me hold back on wanting any new phone for awhile. :)

Gunner

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
My initial thought was the same, but GSAM is only showing 2% battery use from "held awake", so I'm not sure it's just a wakelock issue. Unfortunately, Android doesn't give you enough information to pin down which apps are causing the wakelocks (without rooting the phone). I kind of understand it, but I still think it's too bad they took that away with KitKat.

[edit] By the way, I think it goes without saying that the phone is awake during phone calls, even with the display off. The same goes if you are listening to media with the display off. So, if those periods of awake with the screen off on weatherlover1's battery graph coincide with phone calls or with periods of listening to music with the display off, then everything is normal.

All good points. We don't know if the OP is on phone calls all the time, or streaming audio all day. Although, in his 2nd shot above, it only shows 50 mins call time (15% batt usage) out of 11+ hrs. Streaming audio all day would certainly eat battery, especially if connected to another device via BT. OP needs to tell us more about how he uses his phone.

weatherlover1

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
No I(a she by the way :p) do not stream music on it all day. I make some phone calls but not many. Yesterday I did mess around with some camera apps for about 30 minutes and did some app updates. I use it to text, facebook, email mostly and well talk on it.