DROID Turbo 2 Battery life

Moto0685

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I run my phone the same exact was as you described and get very similar battery life. I'm averaging 4 hours, 15 min SOT per charge with 29 hours on average. I agree it seems like the screen kills the battery like 1% every 3 min, but then it will get caught on a certain # so that it ends up averaging better than that. Either way 300 min equals 5 hours, so every 3 min isn't that bad if the idle time is great, which it is. I've gotten over 5 hours a few times, but that's always been over a shorter day. I can easily get 4 over 30 hours, which is great to me.

Idle time on this phone is incredible which is nice, countless phones I have owned in the past would die by morning if I did not plug them in HTC phones come to mind

Posted via the Android Central App

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree with everyone who is saying that you can watch the battery drain as you keep the screen on. The most frustrating part is that the original Turbo had much better battery life than this phone.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree with everyone who is saying that you can watch the battery drain as you keep the screen on. The most frustrating part is that the original Turbo had much better battery life than this phone.

I disagree. I get better battery life on this phone than the original Turbo.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Better screen time too? What do you keep brightness at?

Yeah I'm getting better SOT than I was with the T1 by a little. I have a bunch of email accounts on auto sync, and use whatsapp a lot, and have been using the T2 exactly the same as my T1. I always struggled to get 4 hours on a full day of emailing on my T1 and would sometimes have to top off at 10pm/11pm before I go to bed with only about 3-3.5 hours SOT. With my T2, by the time I hit the 3 hour mark, I'm usually at 30%, and that easily lasts until I go to sleep without having to top off. And I know if I continued using it, I'd get well above 4 hours. I also use wifi, but I figure if I was in a stable wifi area for a whole day, I'd likely get a little better. I run my brightness at about 40%.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm getting better SOT than I was with the T1 by a little. I have a bunch of email accounts on auto sync, and use whatsapp a lot, and have been using the T2 exactly the same as my T1. I always struggled to get 4 hours on a full day of emailing on my T1 and would sometimes have to top off at 10pm/11pm before I go to bed with only about 3-3.5 hours SOT. With my T2, by the time I hit the 3 hour mark, I'm usually at 30%, and that easily lasts until I go to sleep without having to top off. And I know if I continued using it, I'd get well above 4 hours. I also use wifi, but I figure if I was in a stable wifi area for a whole day, I'd likely get a little better. I run my brightness at about 40%.

Interesting. I got much better battery life on my T1, typically 7-8 hours of SOT (projected). Gsam is projecting my T2 at 5.5 hours average SOT.

Newmotoguy

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Same here. Here is my max on the phone. Had it 2 weeks. Ran full throttle over 8 hours SOT and had wifi running over 10 hours

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-20-22-17-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-20-22-17-57.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 70

Newmotoguy

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
It's very easy guys. Turn off location if not using it. Don't run WiFi and 4g at same time run one or the other. Every time you sleep mode throw battery saver on takes 2 seconds.

Here I have over 5 hours sot surfing web WiFi for 10 hours. Made an hour phone call and still plenty left
1. Disable all unused apps. Forum had a good list
2. Disable location if not using it
3. Put shortcut to battery saver on home screen and flip it on when you go to sleep
5. Don't run WiFi and 4g at same time ... Sometimes I use neither if my phone is just there for calls and texts

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-22-18-10-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-22-18-10-59.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 71

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It's very easy guys. Turn off location if not using it. Don't run WiFi and 4g at same time run one or the other. Every time you sleep mode throw battery saver on takes 2 seconds.

Here I have over 5 hours sot surfing web WiFi for 10 hours. Made an hour phone call and still plenty left
1. Disable all unused apps. Forum had a good list
2. Disable location if not using it
3. Put shortcut to battery saver on home screen and flip it on when you go to sleep
5. Don't run WiFi and 4g at same time ... Sometimes I use neither if my phone is just there for calls and texts

I keep my location services on battery savings, but to be honest I'm not sure why I don't leave it off completely. In the beginning with my T1, I noticed a drop off in terms of battery when compared to the Droid Maxx, so I began turning it off as a precaution, although never went back to turning it on to compare and gauge whether it really made much of a difference. And then all of a sudden it started to take a while to pick up my location if I ever needed it on for navigation, so I began keeping it on the battery saving setting. I didn't really notice any drop off in battery, so I was fine with it, and that's how I rolled for the last 3 months of using the T1. Since I've gotten the T2, I've always left the location on the battery saving setting just because that's how I was last using my T1. I'm not unhappy with my battery life, but wouldn't mind being able to average closer to 6 hours SOT. I'm going to start leaving my location setting off for the next month to see if my stats start to improve.

Just out of curiosity, for anybody who leaves the location settings on, what is your reasoning, as opposed to just turning it on when you need it for something?

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Location can be helpful. For example, last year when the Blackhawks were in the Stanley Cup Final, Dunkin Donuts gave everyone a free coffee the day after they won. This only worked if the phone recognized you as being in the Chicago area.

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Is this the average you guys are getting? Only been through about 5 charge cycles so hopefully it improves a little. I wasn't expecting 48 hours, but it seems quite a bit weaker than I anticipated. Coming from a DT1, it's not quite as good it seems.

Let me know what you guys are getting for battery life, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

I am in the same boat. The battery is good but not great. I didn't expect 48 hrs but I am killing this in a day. I am only about a week into it so it may improve. I am loving the phone otherwise.

Sent from my XT1585 using Android Central

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same boat. The battery is good but not great. I didn't expect 48 hrs but I am killing this in a day. I am only about a week into it so it may improve. I am loving the phone otherwise.

Sent from my XT1585 using Android Central

The screen is such a power hog. If you can stand to dim it a notch, you'll get even better battery life than you are getting right now.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
The screen is such a power hog. If you can stand to dim it a notch, you'll get even better battery life than you are getting right now.

I've found the screen to be rather efficient when the brightness is very low. I ran a test yesterday and got about 12 hours screen on time with 20% plus remaining. This makes me think that much of the juice disappears from sending/receiving and processing.

Pinzgauer

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Adjusting the brightness of the display or activating the adaptive display isn't anything I want to or should have to do.
I think that until the Turbo 2 all DROID displays were pretty bad. And I've had every single droid since they came out.
It was the single item, to me anyway, that the droid lacked compared to the iPhone.
No I finally have a decent screen, but to get good battery life I should voluntarily degrade it?
I think not. Just my personal opinion, others may vary.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I've found the screen to be rather efficient when the brightness is very low. I ran a test yesterday and got about 12 hours screen on time with 20% plus remaining. This makes me think that much of the juice disappears from sending/receiving and processing.

Wait, what did you do to get 12 hours of SOT with a single charge? Did you use some type of ultra dimming app and just let the phone sit unused with the screen on? That's seriously impressive.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Wait, what did you do to get 12 hours of SOT with a single charge? Did you use some type of ultra dimming app and just let the phone sit unused with the screen on? That's seriously impressive.

Sort of... I'll be posting a new thread on it soon.

jsbcarman

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
12 and half hours since unplugged, heavy use all day including 4 hours of GPS, I'm at 20%, don't think it'll last to 48 hours :(

Moto0685

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
12 and half hours since unplugged, heavy use all day including 4 hours of GPS, I'm at 20%, don't think it'll last to 48 hours :(

Certainly not with heavy use but what amazes me it has little to no stand by drain and the WiFi drain bug that has effected plenty of Verizon phones mostly the Samsung Galaxy line Motorala has done a excellent job of software optimizing, something Samsung or LG or HTC has had problems with by loading up there own branded apps I never thought I would say this about a near pure ASOP version of Android