DROID Turbo 2 Battery life

hyrulejedi86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I just got the droid turbo 2 two days ago and came from the droid maxx. I have noticed a lower battery life than the maxx for sure. This morning I played a game and watched a video for about 30 minutes and my battery dropped from 100% to 89%. The phone says 3 hours remaining for the battery. This seems to be lasting an incredibly short amount of time. There has to be something that is causing this. I checked my running apps and there really aren't that many running since it's new. Has anyone found anything that gets them more time than this?

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I just got the droid turbo 2 two days ago and came from the droid maxx. I have noticed a lower battery life than the maxx for sure. This morning I played a game and watched a video for about 30 minutes and my battery dropped from 100% to 89%. The phone says 3 hours remaining for the battery. This seems to be lasting an incredibly short amount of time. There has to be something that is causing this. I checked my running apps and there really aren't that many running since it's new. Has anyone found anything that gets them more time than this?

I think this is normal. As I said in my assessment above, the Turbo 2's screen tends to hit the battery hard. I get about an hour of SOT give or take every 20%of battery on normal usage so your numbers are right in line with that. This phone does very well with standby drain, however.

catstide

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
That's a bit more assuring for me. My DT2 is supposed to be here Wed and I was getting a bit worried reading some stuff here. 1 hour screen time for 20% battery will be fine for me as long as the standby is very good.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
48 hr battery my " you know what!"

Can't figure this out, but like so many, I'm barely getting 12 hours out of this thing. More than frustrating.uploadfromtaptalk1453854020078.jpguploadfromtaptalk1453854039097.jpguploadfromtaptalk1453854048705.jpguploadfromtaptalk1453854056102.jpguploadfromtaptalk1453854087211.jpg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: 48 hr battery my " you know what!"

Restart in safe mode with the shutoff set to 1%, leave the phone sitting and see how many hours it ran before it shut off. You'll probably get close to 48 hours. That's like a car mpg - measured going downhill with a tailwind. It's a legitimate measure, it's just not a measure of how the item is normally used.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

It's definitely not a 48 hour battery in the way that most of us use our phones, but it's easily a 24-30 hour phone and 48 with "moderate" usage. Regardless, 24 hours is all I need.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

24 hours of actually using the phone, with the screen on? Not without a large power bank. Or until someone discovers a much more power dense supply than lithium batteries.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

It's definitely not a 48 hour battery in the way that most of us use our phones, but it's easily a 24-30 hour phone and 48 with "moderate" usage. Regardless, 24 hours is all I need.
Look at my stats, I'm getting nowhere close to that! Frustrating. I'm hoping Marshmallow and a factory data reset will help.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

24 hours of actually using the phone, with the screen on? Not without a large power bank. Or until someone discovers a much more power dense supply than lithium batteries.

No, of course not. I mean it gets me through a heavy usage day.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

The 48 hour advertising I think was a huge mistake, and I wish Verizon would stop. They should advertise it as all day battery and then some. For all but the very few people who use their phone very lightly, 48 hours just doesn't happen.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

The 48 hour advertising I think was a huge mistake, and I wish Verizon would stop. They should advertise it as all day battery and then some. For all but the very few people who use their phone very lightly, 48 hours just doesn't happen.

This. 100% true. Just advertise that it will get you through even the heaviest of days.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Yeah that was the biggest selling point for me, longer battery. Well, this phone doesn't have it, period! It's terrible and has become worse then my note 4. Barely on the thing doing some misc. stuff and the thing heats up, battery drains fast. Same boat as above, hoping 6.0 helps in some way then a factory reset but when in the HELL are we getting it! Holy sheet!

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

Yeah that was the biggest selling point for me, longer battery. Well, this phone doesn't have it, period! It's terrible and has become worse then my note 4. Barely on the thing doing some misc. stuff and the thing heats up, battery drains fast. Same boat as above, hoping 6.0 helps in some way then a factory reset but when in the HELL are we getting it! Holy sheet!

I'm guessing most of the people having an issue with battery life are upset because of the 48 hour claim and unreasonable expectations. I could get about 6-7 hours SOT in a day's use if I stretched it. That seems like really good battery life, no?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The 48 hour battery is just a marketing thing. It's really no different than any other company making a claim on TV that sounds too go to be true. Always remember to read the fine print and you'll see how they state "under certain conditions".

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

The 48 hour battery is just a marketing thing. It's really no different than any other company making a claim on TV that sounds too go to be true. Always remember to read the fine print and you'll see how they state "under certain conditions".

Right, it's a "marketing thing". But the problem for Motorola/Lenovo is that enough people aren't stupid. Tell them the phone they are buying will last 48 hours. When it doesn't, do you think they'll get 100% customer retention?

Verizon doesn't care - they make their money not on the sales of phones but on their service. It's Verizon doing the marketing, but Motorola suffering the consequences.

Couldn't it be a "marketing thing" to promise a battery that easily gets you through a day without quantifying "48 hours"?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Right, it's a "marketing thing". But the problem for Motorola/Lenovo is that enough people aren't stupid. Tell them the phone they are buying will last 48 hours. When it doesn't, do you think they'll get 100% customer retention?

Verizon doesn't care - they make their money not on the sales of phones but on their service. It's Verizon doing the marketing, but Motorola suffering the consequences.

Couldn't it be a "marketing thing" to promise a battery that easily gets you through a day without quantifying "48 hours"?

Technically yes they could do that.. They could really do anything. I'm just saying it isn't different from anything else in life. I only see the claims taken to heart with phones and carriers but if someone was to see a loan on TV that said free money everyone instantly knows to read the bottom and you see the whopping 35% interest rate and such.

As for phones though.. Never take any ad or salespersons guarantee on battery. It all varies by usage and they'll go by what they say is the "average user" or "light usage" to make it sound so appealing. One of the others on my team uses his hotspot and things greatly and therefore has to charge his phones 2 or more times a day. Is this normal usage? Most definitely not but that just goes to show the battery claims are pointless unless they're specified to your usage directly.. And advertising won't do that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

They always through the "mixed usage" thing in there. If you have what we would consider light usage and what most people consider to be normal, you'll probably be able to eek two days out - but 48 is a silly number anyways. To get two full days out of a battery, you need about 42 hours, assuming you're charging at night every other day. And somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-8 hours of that will be sleeping, so doze takes over for that if you're not going to charge it overnight - so the device needs to be able to be used/idle for up to 42 hours, with only 34-36 of that being in motion, being used, etc. The obvious things like GPS, Screen, etc. are obviously still going to impact the overall usage. The 48 hour thing is a way of checking expectations, because it is relative to "normal" people. When the Moto X 2013, Moto X 2014 are both advertised to get 24 hours on the same "normal" usage, then the expectation, if you were getting 12 on those devices then it'd be reasonable to expect less than the full 48 advertised on this device. If like me, you were easily getting 16-18 hours (aka a full day) and charging each night out of those devices, expecting this device to last at least one full day and well into the next, if not the entire next day - might be pretty doable. Also, the OP has some wakelocks.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

I'm guessing most of the people having an issue with battery life are upset because of the 48 hour claim and unreasonable expectations. I could get about 6-7 hours SOT in a day's use if I stretched it. That seems like really good battery life, no?

It seems to be but yes, when people claim the original turbo had good battery life and is still better then the turbo 2, well, there's my issue. Great expectations with subpar results, comparing these two phones and BS claims from Verizon.

Also, I make my claims based on size of battery not so much Verizon's 48 battery life. I honestly don't take that into consideration because I do understand it all varies from person to person.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11